Need tons of help making an ODST costume!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastur cief 42

I need you kind people to help me make an odst costume that i will surely mess up now matter how much advice i get.

What do i know: 110lb cardstock and pep files.
What i don't know: everything else

Any help is appreciated as i am doing this one step at a time and read up on it before i do it. Very inefficient i know but it works. I think...

How much money i have spent on the project so far: 15$

The only advice I can give is to read every sticky there is MULTIPLE times. And try something low def and easy to practice on until you get the hang of it.

I need you kind people to help me make an odst costume that i will surely mess up now matter how much advice i get.

What do i know: 110lb cardstock and pep files.
What i don't know: everything else

Step 1: Print out the pep files you want on your cardstock.

Step 2: Cut out printed files

Step 3: Fold and hot glue files together (I really don't even know how to do this. Apperently there are numbers on the tabs and stuff)

Step 4: STOP. Admire your hard work over a cold beverage.

Step 5: Take Bondo brand hardining resin, pour hardining formula in the whatever.......You know what, read a sticky on this one. Just put some resin on the pep files, thats the point. Harden the paper.

Step 6: I think you put Bondo on at this point to make it smooth and whatever.

Step 7: Paint your crap. Read a sticky to make it nice.

Step 8: Strap your new armor on.

Step 9: ????

Step 10: Profit

This should help get you started.

Step 1: Print out the pep files you want on your cardstock.

Step 2: Cut out printed files

Step 3: Fold and hot glue files together (I really don't even know how to do this. Apperently there are numbers on the tabs and stuff)

Step 4: STOP. Admire your hard work over a cold beverage.

Step 5: Take Bondo brand hardining resin, pour hardining formula in the whatever.......You know what, read a sticky on this one. Just put some resin on the pep files, thats the point. Harden the paper.

Step 6: I think you put Bondo on at this point to make it smooth and whatever.

Step 7: Paint your crap. Read a sticky to make it nice.

Step 8: Strap your new armor on.

Step 9: ????

Step 10: Profit

This should help get you started.

Haha, nice work. That gave me a good laugh. :)

As for the OP, read the stickies! It's not that hard to make armor.

Hey man welcome to the 405th!

I myself am still pretty much a noob but i have been working through my own ODST build. As mitch stated take a look at as many stickies as you can and get familiar with the forum. It's pretty much sink or swim around here and they like to see that you are giving a concerted effort in learning things yourself.

Basically read those stickies and stalk around the forum and you will do fine, but if your really serious about starting an ODST build after you have done your reading then I recommend Hugh Holders pep files. He has created some amazing filed and it's also the same ones i'm using for my build.

In any case good luck fellow trainee, hope to see you with boots on the ground sometime soon!

"Feet first into hell"

This may sound weird but does anyone know a good odst shoulder to use? I'm starting with that but there are too many choices for the same thing. and also should i use hot glue or a different kind? when i started make crummy models out of regular paper i used Elmers glue and that worked fine. they really don't say what kind of glue to use. any help is appreciated as I'm simply learning this by reading up on the step ahead of me one step at a time. what a noob:)

im working on dutch's armor from halo 3 odst also using pepakura, and man all i have to tell you is TAKE YOUR TIME CUTTING, FOLDING AND GLUING! i cannot stress this enough.... if you dont take your time it will come out very warped looking. its taken me 3 days so far just to cut out less than half of the pieces to dutch's helmet (but you dont need to take that long... im just trying to make everything perfect.). also, when gluing together your pieces use hot glue instead of super glue. it works alot better. take as much time as you need on the pepakura models, and like i said, you do not want it warped. also, i would start out with an easier odst helmet. dont go straight into doing a helmet like dutch's or one of the more detailed odst helmets unless you have practiced. i suggest using a model of either a halo 2 odst or just a normal halo 3 odst model. there are tons on here, and ive actualy got alot of them, so if you need an easy one, just pm me and i will send it straight to you!
good luck!
EDIT: also noticed you want an easy shoulder, ive got a few of those models too. if you want them, again just private message me.

it depends on what style ODST ur goin for. me i wanted to look like one from HALO 3. and for files Hughs has the best files out there for an ODST they curve to your body. the only thing is shoulders if you want to do the models from ODST yo can used one of many out there for those. if you need any pointers you can check out my ODST build which is in my SIG. at the bottom. just let me know if i can help.....

lookin for a odst shoulder? ive got one! but seriously, if this is your first build, start low def. at all i would make a halo 2 odst. but thats me. as every ones said, read stickies. but if you are building the shoulders, study up for a while on actual odsts and other peoples creations. see how they have created the odst. but i have a great odst shoulder file that i once made befoore it was crushed. just check out my mk 6 helmet and other armour bits thread for some pics of pad i used. real easy.

here is what i am going to do with all the information you guys gave me.
i will make an odst helmet from halo 2 and the shoulders of an halo 3 odst. (lol not very accurate)
I'm currently having problems finding a halo 2 odst helmet. can anyone help me?

Honestly, the best set of ODST armor out there is Hugh Holder's, but Kirrou has some amazing files that are more accurate to Halo 3: ODST.

I would recommend starting with Hugh's stuff, doing the most basic pieces first. Almost all his armor is really simplified and easy to build, while still staying accurate. Here's a link to Hugh's Armor.

Again, Kirrou has really amazing files, but they tend to be a little more difficult, so I won't link you to them now.

The best advice I can give you is to take your time. Don't try and rush through armor because you really want to see it finished. As long as your willing to put your time into it, you will end up with some great looking armor.

Good luck!

here is what i am going to do with all the information you guys gave me.
i will make an odst helmet from halo 2 and the shoulders of an halo 3 odst. (lol not very accurate)
I'm currently having problems finding a halo 2 odst helmet. can anyone help me?

I recommend that you go with Halo 3: ODST is you want to make an ODST armor. If you want to spend the time and money to make an armor, don't do the LD. You will kick yourself once you are halfway done and see that HD makes more sense. My kids MK VIs were a mix bag. I wished I went HD all the way. Next year I will update one of the suits to HD.

Honestly, the best set of ODST armor out there is Hugh Holder's, but Kirrou has some amazing files that are more accurate to Halo 3: ODST.

I would recommend starting with Hugh's stuff, doing the most basic pieces first. Almost all his armor is really simplified and easy to build, while still staying accurate. Here's a link to Hugh's Armor.

Again, Kirrou has really amazing files, but they tend to be a little more difficult, so I won't link you to them now.

The best advice I can give you is to take your time. Don't try and rush through armor because you really want to see it finished. As long as your willing to put your time into it, you will end up with some great looking armor.

Good luck!

I totally agree. Kirrou's ODST is really not that difficult. Just take your time and you will see the results. The best thing about ODST is you can mix and match. There is nothing wrong in using Kirrou and Hugh's ODSTs at the same time.

For your first pep, I would not recommend the shoulders. Depending on which ones you choose, they can be pretty advanced. Instead, I would recommend the chest piece. It's a pretty simple shape and the parts (especially hugh's) are not terribly complicated and it will ease you into the pepping process.

In the end, it's you choice though. Just remember to keep us posted on what you are doing and include pictures. That way we can offer advice based on what we see. Good luck!

I agree i would start out with some easier pieces first. pep may look easy but it requires a lot of finesse. i would also recommend you do the odst suit from one period and the hi def versions always look better. and the last thing you want to do is have to remake it cuz it doesnt look cool, you'll end up doing this and you'll waste a lot of time. but read through the stickies about pep, you can do the other stickies when you get to that stage but there is really a ton of information that will help you greatly. It's what i did and it saved me asking a lot of questions. But i hope to see some pics of your progress soon.

My tip though many will say why?, start hard ,dont start on a very easy piece like a hand plate and work your way up, you could if you want, well to cut the chase, once you done that hard one, the rest of your pep build is a matter of time and patience, skills with pep is either genuis or in my case ,experience via trial and error :D

I totally agree. Kirrou's ODST is really not that difficult. Just take your time and you will see the results. The best thing about ODST is you can mix and match. There is nothing wrong in using Kirrou and Hugh's ODSTs at the same time.

Don't get me wrong, I used all of Kirrou's pieces. I think the only difficult piece of armor from Kirrou is his gauntlets (which I'm peping now), and its more tedious than difficult.

Kirrou's ODST files

Don't get me wrong, I used all of Kirrou's pieces. I think the only difficult piece of armor from Kirrou is his gauntlets (which I'm peping now), and its more tedious than difficult.

Kirrou's ODST files

I did Kirrou's gauntlet and I gave up because it was way too complicated. After I finished pepping it, I noticed that it was way too big. Instead, I went with Hugh's gauntlet. Much easier and it has the right shape. Need some work if you want more details on it.

I did Kirrou's gauntlet and I gave up because it was way too complicated. After I finished pepping it, I noticed that it was way too big. Instead, I went with Hugh's gauntlet. Much easier and it has the right shape. Need some work if you want more details on it.

I already pepped the right one, and I'm almost done cutting the left one. They're probably the hardest part of my armor to pep, but they are beautiful when finished. As for the size, they are a little big, but I plan on shaving the rim around the wrist to give me more motion.

Assume i am making a halo 3 era odst

I would like an answer to a few questions.
1. Should i go HD or SD?
2. What piece should i start with?
3. whatever piece that is do you have a pep file that i could use?

the only reason i haven't started yet is because i don't have any idea what to do with all the conflicting viewpoints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back