New Members - Treat Us As We Treat You!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtreme TACTICS 101

Hey everybody,

I have decided to create this thread because of a recent E-mail I received from a member of these forums. I am not going to say who the member is, however the information I am about to state is directed to everybody who is part of the 405th costuming community.

We were all newbs here once. Many of us started from scratch learning about everything other members do here. However, we all have certain members to thank for our success. Weather they wrote the tutorials posted around the site, or graciously helped us as we were just beginning to learn the intricate and fun hobby of costuming. Some of us like to give back to the community that has given to us so much. Many of that some have given everything back, plus more.

Those members who have given back have put their valuable time and effort into answering an individual members questions once and a while, 3D modeling, writing a tutorial or something along those lines. However, some very dedicated members put themselves completely on the line to help as many members as possible in any and every way possible.

Like myself, those veteran members who voluntarily help other members do it out of the pureness of our own hearts. We try our best to keep the well-known and respected name of the 405th alive. However, we are human, and we all draw a line somewhere.

Those of us veteran members here take on a fair percentage of the 405th’s questions with steadfast dedication, accuracy, and overall, patients. Not many new members understand that many of us answer the same questions over and over again. After a certain point in time, it becomes annoying. Although we continue to politely answer questions, a little bomb in the back of our head begins to tick with impatiens. Although that bomb takes an unbelievable amount of annoyance to detonate, it is still there and ready to explode.

Now, onto the main topic of this thread.

New members today have a lot of questions. They direct their questions to those of us more experienced members who know what they are doing. There is nothing wrong with that. Knowledge is meant to be passed from generation to generation, not stored and wasted. However, there are some of us members who do not check our PM or E-mail inbox(s) every day, or do not have regular Internet access.

There are some of us who are overwhelmed with question E-mail and PM’s that we simply do not have the time to answer them all every day. I am one of those people.

I recently received an E-mail from what will be an un-named member here asking for scaling help. As I usually do, I put the member on my “To-help list”. Because my “To-help list” grows by approximately 100 people per day, I sometimes lose track of who I have answered, and who I have yet to answer. Rarely do I forget to answer a PM or E-mail, but it turns out I did miss this members E-mail.

Yesterday I received a fairly blunt, straightforward, even mean E-mail from said member saying how incompetent I was for offering my help but not following through. I E-mailed the member back explaining how I had missed the E-mail and was very sorry for not following through. I also ensured him he is now at the top of my priorities list, and he can contact me whenever he would like.

After reviewing my questions I ran across said members original question. What I had originally thought of the members “incompetent” E-mail quickly turned into the complete opposite. The member had sent the question on May 6, 2010, and contacted me again with the “incompetent” E-mail on May 14, 2010. His action was simply an eye-opener (in a negative sense) for lack of a better phrase or word.

Said member also mentioned that if I were to offer help but not follow through again he would notify the site admin. He also said he doesn't care how many posts I have, how long I have been on the 405th or that he am a new member. He concluded that statement saying that the help I am offering is bogus, and I should stop.

How I see this; simply disrespectful, a direct insult, and overall a punch in the face. My top priority here on the 405th is to help other members. And yet, no matter how many members I help, there is always that one who says "thats not good enough. I want more!"

Although this member did have a right to contact me to remind me to answer his question, he did not have a right to completely slap me across the face. It was completely uncalled for on his part.

I do not hold myself higher over any other member who is apart of these forums, both new and old. Post count means nothing. However, the dedication, contribution and help you apply in our community does. The moment we start basing everything on post count is the moment we start a civil war amongst the veteran members and the new members.

----------------------------------------------------

The bottom line:

RESPECT.

When you contact another member of any forum asking a question or requesting a pep file, you need to respect that member. Not showing respect to that member is highly offensive. Ask any veteran member here on the forum who has had an experience similar to mine, and they will all agree that the members action was simply uncalled for, especially after only a week. A month is understandable, but a week?!?

For example, here is a blurb from a PM I sent another member here asking for a pep file.

Hey mate,

First off, I would like to say that your 3D models are amazing! Whenever I go to print off a new armour part, I always go straight to my “ “Members name” Armour” folder.

If its not too much trouble for you, I would like to request a model of the Weta version ODST stomach plate. I have some adequate reference material, along with some scaled blueprints of the armour part. It is a fairly simple armour part, and I only need a low definition pep model of it (its not very high definition to begin with).

I just finished drawing up some blueprints and putting my best reference of the stomach plate together. If you need more reference or blueprints of certain areas, feel free to ask.

CopyofWetaODST20.jpg

WetaversionStomachPlate-ODST1.jpg

WetaversionStomachPlate-ODST2.jpg

If you could please be so kind as to help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

That is what a pep file request should look like. It shows that you respect the modeler and are trying to help with a model that is really only meant for one person. Not many modelers would say yes to a request like this.

cani haz a modl of a odsd chest plat modl?

thx!

Not very appealing, is it?

The same rules apply to when you are asking another member a question. Show respect with at least half decent spelling, grammar and punctuation, as well as be very polite. Being a little “brat” won’t get you anywhere.

As for reminding a member to answer your question, simply don’t do it every day. The member will eventually get around to it. However, after 2 weeks, you may want to send them a quick reminder.

If a member doesn’t answer your question after a month, the member may no longer be active or has not been on the forums in a while due to monetary problems, no internet, family emergency, or something to that effect. Do not report the member, simply ask another member for help.

As the “Official 405th Q&A Team” says in their sticky:

1st: Please read the Stickies! Look at the top on each Forum. Anything under "Important Topics" Read! You just might find your answer there!

2nd: If you have a question, just search the list, look for a member that meets your needs, and just PM him or her.

That simple. Just allow some time for them to respond (A full day or 2, average).

3rd: RESPECT the volunteers, don't get all pissy if you PM someone and dont instantly get an answer.

Anyway, that’s the end of my rant. New members, please respect the veterans who so selflessly put their very precious time, sweat, and sometimes even blood into answering your questions. Remember, without us, you would probably have gotten nowhere in costuming and may have given up a long time ago.

With warm regards,

Jake

Xtreme TACTICS 101

Amen!!! I know that before I joined I lurked on the forum for over a month, learning as much as I could, reading as many threads as I could and just finding the answers to my questions on my own. You do an absolute ton, as do so many others, especially the modelers, and just don't get the recognition. That's one reason I try and keep the member of the month thread going, its about the only way I can think of to say thanks to all those who do so much. I think that maybe this should be stickied...

I have a simple solution, ignore those who can't treat others with respect. Let the jerk contact the site admin. But one thing I would recommend, you need to stop trying to help every single person. You want to help people, but you're only capable of so much. now, nobody seems to get the idea of respect. I think there is a prevailing sense of entitlement today, everyone wants something for nothing. Lots of kids (And I'm only 16 BTW) don;t know how to be polite, they see, they want. I'm not bashing other kids, but understand the world does not revolve around you. But again, you need to realize people will do this. Just ignore it, and then don;t help them. The polite man will get his answer. I was doing an unfold for Jico a while back. It was simple, but it took forever, I just kept getting distracted. He sent me 1-2 emails asking if it was done. He was very polite, and I made some time to get it to him. Had he been an idiot, he would still not have it. so I agree with you jake, but remember, sometimes there's nothing you can do. Everybody wantz to haz r3c0nz.

Have to totally agree with you man.

And like you said, Its kinda hard responding to many PMs or Emails.

One time I recieved about 10 Pms about new membersasking questions and such. I happily answered their questions, but what I REALLY, REALLY hate is when somebody asks you where to buy armor. I told this guy, the same old thing everybody says to n00bs who wants to buy armor,but this guy kept PMing about the same thing.

So I thibk, Yes, Noobs should be a little respectful and have the CAJONES to looks stuff for themselves.

What we should do is make a section called "Q & A section" or the "Tutorial Section" or "Halo-torial" or somethingy cheese like that :p

This would really help the n00bs find stuff easier, and us Veterans will help them by adding tuts there, because every body knows, almost nobody checks the video section.

Wow, that's a lot of text... You're quite the writer for a 15 year old! :p

Why can't noobs follow (or at least read...) the rules and guidelines? We've all done it before, they should too!

Alex spartan177 said:
because every body knows, almost nobody checks the video section.

We have a video section? :unsure I guess that proves your point...

Last edited by a moderator:
well, noobs don't want to read it all. They want the info, then go do it. nobody realizes the work, cost, and time that goes into this stuff. Enitlement again, they don't want to do it themselves, and for no money. Pep IS an inexpensive method, but it gets expensive if you make it accurate. Even if we make a tut section, people will read it. But there will still be people saying Can I haz H4l0 armors 4 ch33p? It won;t stop, just ignore it.

Yes, we have to understand, new members are excited, and ready to dive in immediately. They're so excited that they don't take the time to read everything. Almost all new members are like that. If we don't welcome them with open arms, and warm words of encouragement, they'll never be able to flourish. We've even upset some very very big VIP type members before.

I dislike the half handed. put downs towards modelers by new members or even veterans (which surprises me more) when when something is innaccurate,

its different when they know you're building something and would like some feedback after you build it. Like how I"ve seen JUICE and Dancin_fool do.

Their files are great and they are not custom for one person, I just modify the files by cutting and modding it to make it work for me.

If it is not what you wanted use that flaw as practice to build up your skills and fix it the way you'd like it.

I find it insulting on behalf of modelers who without them most of us would be high and dry for their excellent base.

WE need to stop commenting on how innacurate files are. Were lucky 99.9% of them are FREE.

And stop hinting when you need files that dont exist just cause you dont want to do the work.

Or bother modelers to see when they are done or to ask themto make "this or that"

Acehigh is a perfect example of someone who was generous and then was rubbed the wrong way so I support his stance on not distributing his files anymore publicly.

Sure I wait around for files but thats only when a project is already in progress. The only time I msg a modeler is when they know personally I'm in deep in the project and am just curious on other parts, if the other parts wont be ready for a while, then thats ok

I will make due with what I can.

end rant.

I look at it this way...if a person cant be bothered to do a little reading and self education...then they aren't worth my time. If someone cant bother to do even the basic research to learn on thier own what cardstock to use, what glue to use, and what body filler is, then they dont deserve the reward of having a costume. Sound harsh? Not by a longshot when the info is plastered all over the internet. You can google ANYTHING and get tons of responses, between Youtube videos, Instructables, articles...the info is all there. If thats too hard, then low and behold RIGHT here on this site are post after post covering every aspect, and now we even have videos of how to do EVERY step. However I think I know the problem with even that....those posts and videos dont show the ANSWER that most of these people are looking for which is "how do I get movie quality armor without having to do anything or spend ANY money" A lot of the first time visitors to this hobby dont realize that pepakura IS the cheap bottom level rung of expense in costuming. Over my years I have spent thousands on costumes. To ME being able to spend hundreds versus thousands is a blessing, but to the uninitiated, they are sticker shocked and ONLY want to hear yes, you can have movie quality for a weeks worth of mom and dads allowance.

I sometimes entertain myself reading the insane posts asking for help and concluded that they aren't asking the same question over and over looking for the right answer...they are looking for what they want to hear..."no you dont have to do anything the right way...no you dont have to actually buy supplies, of course the experienced people are full of $#!T...you just need tissue paper pixie dust and you can look like a million bucks." thats what they are looking for. If they cant afford a ten dollar bottle of super glue do you think they want to hear that casting resin can cost them over a hundred bucks?

The problem isnt that the info is too hard for newbies to find, the problem is that a lot of newbies dont realize that this hobby isnt for everyone. I would LOVE to be a part of a fancy sports car collectors club, but I cant afford one, so I dont try to play with those people. I dont go to those boards and post over and over that there "just has to be a cheaper way" to make a European sports car.

It doesnt take a lot to be able to spot those who are coming here and are serious. On other boards that I am part of they call these people visitors, the casual passerby that joins in hopes of getting something for nothing. Very easy to spot and seperate from the person who will genuinely have potential and just maybe needs a nudge here and there to get thier project going. I have little hope for a person who cant type "body filler" into a search bar, to be able to glue tabs with matching numbers together.

man, I totally agree with you.

even though I'm a noob, I try not to post threads without a reason and only post when I REALLY have to!

I just spent alot of time reading, watching videos on tutorials and asked questions before I made a purchase to make sure I wasn't wasting my money on the wrong $400 molding supplies. :p

STEALTH said:
I dislike the half handed. put downs towards modelers by new members or even veterans (which surprises me more) when when something is innaccurate,

its different when they know you're building something and would like some feedback after you build it. Like how I"ve seen JUICE and Dancin_fool do.

Their files are great and they are not custom for one person, I just modify the files by cutting and modding it to make it work for me.

If it is not what you wanted use that flaw as practice to build up your skills and fix it the way you'd like it.

I find it insulting on behalf of modelers who without them most of us would be high and dry for their excellent base.

WE need to stop commenting on how innacurate files are. Were lucky 99.9% of them are FREE.

And stop hinting when you need files that dont exist just cause you dont want to do the work.

Or bother modelers to see when they are done or to ask themto make "this or that"

Acehigh is a perfect example of someone who was generous and then was rubbed the wrong way so I support his stance on not distributing his files anymore publicly.

Sure I wait around for files but thats only when a project is already in progress. The only time I msg a modeler is when they know personally I'm in deep in the project and am just curious on other parts, if the other parts wont be ready for a while, then thats ok

I will make due with what I can.

end rant.

Somewhat confused by your post, weather it is directed at me or everybody, but I'll do my best to comment and speculate.

I have only asked a modeler for a file once, and that modeler was VERY happy to help me out considering the supplied references and blueprints. I am not the one who likes to complain about pep files (I prefer scratch building and sculpting), but when I do request a model I do my best to supply the modeler with everything they need to make the model. If they need more reference, I get it for them, so on and so forth.

However, this thread isn't really about requesting models. It does touch on it as an example, but the topic is on the miss-treatment of veteran members. It is also a fairly light warning for new members to search before asking, and for them to pull their weight and respect those who help them.

@ Adam: I agree, and we have all seen members eager to get to work on their armour. They do need a nudge in the right direction, and a "warming hug" if you will, for encouragement. However, it seems that new members are requesting more then a nudge, and more of a hand-held tour through a large museum.

Remember, in this vast museum, the veterans are simply the tour guides. We all have our sections of expertise, and the tour only lasts a few moments before we are wisped away by another tour group, or we go on lunch break :D .

Its not directed to you man don't worry. I'm oblivious to you asking for anything aswell

I was using it as an example of not repsecting modellers who most are veterans.

It goes with the gimme gimme attitude that is seen on here, not so much the models aspect.

Sorry if it was looked at it that way.

I know you have more respect than that man :)

I have to admit, I agree with you wholeheartedly on all of your topics (especially the one related to model requests... (it's extremely annoying to have to find exactly what somebody wants... let alone find it in the necessary views...))

You're probably one of the people who puts the most into the 405th. (Non-staff member) You constantly help out anybody who requests help, and it is entirely unfair that you be treated in any manner that is not respectful and patient. I really wish that said behavior would quit, but we are on the internet after all... sadly, there will be too many people who want everything now, and for free.

(I am by no means a good modeler, but I have to agree with stealth... the models that we distribute are not entirely accurate, but they are free... So as a shoutout to the new members, If you don't like it, request a new one, provide us with better references, or do a little bit of bondo work.)

(Also, I'm not opposed to helping the newbs and noobs, but they're coming to us... So they have to play by our rules (be respectful).)

Anyway, that's my $.10 on the matter (It's a bit more than 2 cents)

Cheers!

I agree that new member should search by themselves a little more. When I first got here (I still pretty new) I read most of the stickies. Some info was harder to get, like a good scaling method(your tut helped so much by the way, I still have the scaling picture) it can be found on the site somewhere. I agree that veterans are taken advantage of and shouldn't be. Taking advantage of you guy is like bitting the hand that feeds you.

STEALTH said:
Its not directed to you man don't worry. I'm oblivious to you asking for anything aswell

I was using it as an example of not repsecting modellers who most are veterans.

It goes with the gimme gimme attitude that is seen on here, not so much the models aspect.

Sorry if it was looked at it that way.

I know you have more respect than that man :)

Ah, understood. Glad that got cleared up nicely.

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who thinks this way. When I posted the topic I had initially thought it would look as if I was ripping on newer members. Luckily everybody here has understood my intent of this topic, and it has started to turn it into a fairly positive discussion. Lets try to keep it that way, and see if we can raise awareness of this matter. All of us have felt the sting of at least one of the initial "mini topics" mentioned in my seemingly not so “ranty“ rant, and it is probably a more positive thing then negative to shed some light on this subject.

As veterans, we are not the mechanical robots we may appear to be. We have lives outside of the 405th as well, and we all make mistakes.

You know Xtreme, almost every veteran here is quite aware of you and your willingness to help people out with their projects. You have contributed so much to this website, if it were me, I would never fell good reporting you. The thing is, a newer member gets that you help with scaling, and doesnt know too terribly much about what you contribute to this site very day. I would imagine you spend hours on your computer every day answering question after question, and dont have time to get back to EVERY SINGLE MEMBER whos asks you a question. This member simply doesnt get that.

Xtreme, I gotta say I agree with you man. I think this is something most of us were guilty of at one point or another. Hell when I first joined, I thought armor was a project you could whip out in less than a week! However, I did educate myself enough to know that I would need more time, money and energy than I had available. To be honest, I still haven't started on anything (one of the reasons i mainly participate in general talk), but I know that if and when I do, that everything about the process, including help, will take time.

But enough about me.

Personally, i think that one of the main reasons we have so many noobs who think they are l337 5747u5 & w4n7z 3p!( r3c0nz!!! is because so many of them are completely new to forums or internet communities in general. Halo, despite being rated M, does happen to attract a younger fan base, and as a result, we end up with a bunch of 12 year olds who's parents just ok'd this website. That mixed with an unstoppable determination for the "free movie quality armor" creates problems, that unfortunately will never go away. A we can do is try to make the stickies, rules, etc. clearer, topics such as this one a little more prominent, and hope that cuts down the size of that time bomb.

Oh and Xtreme, you are not Superman,so as cool as it is that you try to help everyone, no-one can take it all. Besides, the more people you help, the higher your chances of running into more A-holes. If any of you more veteraned veterans ever feel the need to take a break, i can understand completely. you earn it, plus the right to refuse service to anyone, which i can see as a blessing.

Thank you and everyone like you for your hard work

-Colin

As a newer member of the 405th (although watched for this website for awhile), I would like to apologize for the rude behavior of the new members. I completely agree that people need to show some respect. If it is any consolation, I am sorry for people's impatiences and rudeness.

Try to take it on the cheek and look away, (thats why you have two cheeks :p) and just know that some of us out hear are really nice and really want to learn all that we can. We are but sponges, we absorb everything you teach us.

-Col Keller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back