Now it's our turn to do something amazing......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Dave ,
I'm Mathieu's mom , just want to thank you so much for what you did for that boy , don't know how far the project is now but I wish he can see it before he goes... he's at the IWK children hospital in Halifax N.S. Canada .
All the family with him and he is stil fighting that cancer, he is a real survivor and I'm very proud of him.
thank you sooo much to all your team playing with him and working on that armor project
xoxoxo
Josee
Math's mom
P.S. you can reach me at josee_lacombe@hotmail.com

My greatest prayers and feelings for Mat! One of the Strongest Survivor I've seen!

From My family to Yours. Our prayers and hopes are with Mat, you and your family at this hour.
Rick

I emailed mats mom and I am waiting for a reply but I am sure she is quite occupied. Let us pray for mat. I hate to rush things but I would love for Mat to see this masterpiece with his own eyes. I truly want to thank everylast one of you for brightening a fighters day even if for a moment. I can't begin to explain the emotions I have right now. I will keep you all posted.

Thank you

I've been in contact with YodaJammies about CNC'ing a forearm for me, since my RP guy flaked.
Need to wait a bit to get more money though to pay for it...
I don't have enough money... do we still have any funding left?
I need $60 to pay Yoda for the CNC'ing...

Small update. Mat's undersuit is underway. i"ll have pictures up this weekend. Sorry this is taking so long. >_<

I happen to live in the city where the hospital is located that Matthieu is currently in. I e-mailed his mother and asked if she would allow me the privledge of visiting Matthieu before he goes. The entire family is an inspiration, I am at a loss for words after meeting them. I was honoured to spend a short time with them:

th_001.jpg

th_004.jpg

th_005.jpg

There is an annual Sci-Fi and Fantasy convention in town in the fall and she and I plan on 'trooping' at the event. If Mat is unable, she will wear the costume you guys are building for him.

Roadkiller, my respect to you....you have no Idea! After seeing those pics and hearing about his Conditions, I think we have every rights to complete this project Early!! I'm gonna try sending my Tactical Softcase by Next Friday or Saturday! I'm also gonna contact the ones who haven't had any Updates.

Talk about making a grown ass man cry.....omg roadkiller you are my hero and a huge inspiration about what being a community is about. You just took this project to a whole new level. I commend you my brother. I have the deepest respect and admiration for everyone of you for making this possible. I am still tearing up...ok I'm a big baby but stuff like this hits home. thank you so much for postiing the images and keeping us posted. It is great to see a smile on his face.

Talk about making a grown ass man cry.....omg roadkiller you are my hero and a huge inspiration about what being a community is about. You just took this project to a whole new level. I commend you my brother. I have the deepest respect and admiration for everyone of you for making this possible. I am still tearing up...ok I'm a big baby but stuff like this hits home. thank you so much for postiing the images and keeping us posted. It is great to see a smile on his face.

Your not alone, I cried too :') I cried proudly!! And I second to everything you said!

Visiting Matthieu was among the most emotional evenings in my life. The positive energy radiating from him and his family is indescribable.

I contacted his Mom by e-mail and she got back to me saying I was very welcome to come and asked if I could do it tonight. I forwarded her my phone number and we had a talk on the phone. It became apparent that I would need to do this quickly. She cleared it through the hospital administration who authorized security to let me in after regular “open” visiting hours.

The hospital is about a 1/2 drive from my home. When talking to Mat's Mom, I had intended to get into costume at home and have my wife drive me over in her car. However, my daughter's car is broken down and my wife had let her use her car to go to work. My wife can't drive my car because it has a manual transmission. So, I quickly showered, dressed in my undersuit and put some warmer clothes over that as the evening temperature was dipping near the freezing mark. Then I put all the costume stuff into my car and my wife and I headed off.

On arrival at the hospital, my wife quickly checked with security to make sure everything was on track, they were extremely friendly and supportive. I parked the car in the hospital's parking tower and unloaded the costume into an empty parking spot next to where I had parked. My wife helped me get suited up, and we almost caused at least 3 accidents in the tower as people slowed to try and determine what I was doing! I was also pretty chilled by the end.

On the walk between the tower and the hospital, two teenaged boys chased us yelling “Master Chief! Master Chief! That's so awesome!”

Security led us through the hospital to Mats room. In the hallway, we met his Mom, Aunt and Grandmother. I cannot describe how wonderful these people are in this time of personal crisis. They were positively gleeful that Mat was going to meet the “Master Chief” and get some idea of how his costume might look.

We waited quite a while in the hallway because Mat was involved in some personal treatments that couldn't be interrupted. Many of the hospital staff came along and we had an impromptu photo sessions with Mat's family and the doctors, nurses and other staff.

When I was able to get in to see Mat, it was a moment I won't forget. I played the “Master Chief” and demanded at the door that the staff let me in to see “My wounded Spartan”. For the next ½ hour or so I don't really remember what we talked about, but we smiled and laughed and there were many pictures taken.

There is a white board in his room and he's had written on it "Spartans Never Die". I signed the Master Chief's name on it.

I gave him a Halo Reach figure and told him the guys at the 405th are working hard on his costume and you guys are sending the figure to represent the team's dedication to finishing the final product.

We talked a lot about his costume. The specific details of it and I described some of the techniques you folks are using to make it.

He has a tatoo that says “Spartans Never Die”, I had pictures taken with that.

Eventually it was apparent that his exhaustion was catching up with him and I decided I should go. There were hugs and smiles all around and security came and collected me and they gave me a free parking voucher. They also showed us how to get to the parking tower without having to go outside.

I had to get unsuited in the parking garage and again almost caused a couple of accidents. I didn't pack it up particularly neatly either as I was getting cold quickly after being a bit too warm in the hospital. My wife made me stop on the way home and she picked up my favourite junk food treat.

An awesome evening. All the time and expense, cut and burned fingers, restarts and rebuilds, and sometimes just plain frustraion with creating this costume was worth that ½ hour.

I'm not crying! Excretion of bodily fluids is perfectly normal, even if the fluid does come from the tear ducts. Beautiful, simply beautiful.

Roadkill, this is the best reason for making any suit that I've ever seen!

Can't type more, screen blurring...

Dear Roadkiller,

That story.... definitely deserves a place in the Homepage! All I can say is, I wish I was there!

And Mat, always remember, You'll never die, you'll just be missing in action!

Crap, I'm having one of my seizures! Luckily, nothing happens with my left arm, so I could still type. Having that one seizure made me realize the fact of being Neurologically Ill isn't as bad as having Cancer. You've fought and won 3 battles, just hope you win this one, Spartan! My deepest wishes to you, Mat, and your Family!

Man I only wish that i could meet Mat....

Guys i finished one shin but it warped like crazy when i glassed it, so i need to redo it, not a problem (takes a day to pep and a day to resin) I havent had much time lately tho but i can get it done!!! The other shin is already being pepped!

Absolutely amazing story.....How can something be so sad yet make someone so happy? You are a lucky man Art for having the opportunity to meet Mat and his family. I wanna thank you and your family for taking the time to do something so amazing for someone else in need. This is something that you can be proud to share with friends and family and Mat shall strive forward in the stories of how a Spartan never dies and a Spartan never leaves a fallen comrad.

I am starting a new project in the near future on Soaring Hammer that will remain in honor of our fellow Spartans. Hit me up if you want more info.

Dave

Roadkiller. I don’t have the right words to express how I feel about this. I feel as I was there through you. Thank you and know that you will always hold a place of Honor with myself and my family. Rick

Thanks for all the kind words, there are so many inspiring people involved in this story. Mat and his family are simply amazing, our good friend Ithica for getting the members of the 405th involved, the team of builders who are volunteering their time and expertise...

My local trooping club has a website and I've described my trip to visit Matthieu on its' Blog. There's nothing I haven't shared here, it just puts it all in one story - http://maritimeheavyarmour.webs.com/apps/blog/

Again, thank you all for the kind words, but I just happened to be the closest one of us to the scene of the action.

What a story. Inspiration is flowing freely from every one of the posts in this thread, and I feel that this is something we can truly be proud of doing for our Spartan Brother Mat. Who other than a True Spartan could stand up in the face of so many odds and still bring victory to the day?

Thanks to Roadkiller for being our Ambassador to the LaCombe family; you embodied the spirit of this community in your visit and I am honoured to be in the midst of members such as yourself.

I'm working hard on the Cod Piece, trying to balance work and rest. I'll get photos up as soon as possible. While I'm here; what is the spray for sealing foam called again? Duplicolour?

Carry on, Spartans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back