Personal preference on build styles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

acasualbanana

Jr Member
What is your personal preference for armor building?

What method do you think looks best?

Which do you think is easiest?

Which do you think is the funnest?

For me, I've got to say Pepakura for all except the easiest part. It offers amazing detail, and is a great time to procrastinate on the school work that I really should be doing. It's a great way to spend time, too. And the end results pay off.

Well I still haven't finished a whole suit, but I gotta say, I do prefer Pepakura. I'm not fast with it at all, and I certainly wouldn't say it's easy, but as you said the results are FAR better looking than foam. I like how easy foam is to work with and it's probably more fun because you can see a piece come together in a matter of hours or about a week at most if you're proactive, but it just doesn't look as good in my opinion. The detail some people get is amazing and I can't really say the foam method is greatly lacking as far as detail. That being said, as soon as the paint starts to go on the difference become obvious to me. Even the best of the best foam builds I've seen so far just don't look nearly as professional as a Pepakura job. No matter what a person does to the foam, I can always immediately see the porous surface. For anybody that wants a really nice suit quick for a fairly low cost, but I'm always gonna prefer Pepakura.

PS: I would totally buid a foam suit anyways XD

Well I still haven't finished a whole suit, but I gotta say, I do prefer Pepakura. I'm not fast with it at all, and I certainly wouldn't say it's easy, but as you said the results are FAR better looking than foam. I like how easy foam is to work with and it's probably more fun because you can see a piece come together in a matter of hours or about a week at most if you're proactive, but it just doesn't look as good in my opinion. The detail some people get is amazing and I can't really say the foam method is greatly lacking as far as detail. That being said, as soon as the paint starts to go on the difference become obvious to me. Even the best of the best foam builds I've seen so far just don't look nearly as professional as a Pepakura job. No matter what a person does to the foam, I can always immediately see the porous surface. For anybody that wants a really nice suit quick for a fairly low cost, but I'm always gonna prefer Pepakura.

PS: I would totally buid a foam suit anyways XD
Yeah, I see what you mean.

But Pepakura can be deceptively easy or hard, like with weapons, the M6D looked really easy to me...God was I wrong....But you know, that gave me some good practice so I'm getting some really good results from my armor peps so far.

I peped a Mark 6 boot a while back and it looked almost spot on with the pictures.

- I prefer using pepakura mostly for the details and the way that if somebody walks over and touches the armour, it's rock hard and feels real ;)

- Probably pepakura personally, but it all depends on the person doing it. Some of the foam builds I've seen on here look AMAZING.

- Depends on what you're used to I think.

- I've never worked with foam so I'm not 100% sure on that :p

I like the detail you can get out of pepakura quite a bit more than I think the foam gives you, even though foam takes a significantly shorter amount of time to work on and is arguably easier. I also haven't worked with foam in my build, but I think it would be more logical to do a foam weapon than a pepakura weapon. Enclosed objects like weapons usually tend to get warped when you start hardening (at least in my experience :() but some of the combination cardboard & foam weapons put everything else to shame. Thanks for making this thread, acasualbanana, I'm excited to see what everyone else's two cents are about pep vs. foam!

I think pepakura wins for the most part, except foam is pretty fun to work with. If you can do it right, it's not very hard, yet you've seen some of the incredible foam builds floating around.

honestly i believe that pepakura is much easeir to use in the sence of final product. but if you just want a whole suit in a matter of days or weeks foam is the way to go. the only reason i know is i have a couple foam peices in my armor, and if you spnd the time to model it corectly it turns out just as well as any other method.

15209d1247204376-indian-army-vs-american-army-holy_necroposting_batman.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back