Project Didact! WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilFX

Still in the early stages of the build but the helmet sculpt is almost done. Just another day or two to smooth it out a bit and prep it for molding. I'll try to post updates here at least once a week as I have some noticeable progress to report. If you want to see daily progress check out my facebook page.
I'm also doing (almost) daily live cam feed from the workshop if you want to tune in and watch me make a mess and cuss a lot. I Plan to live stream the entire build, start to finish over the next few months.

Here is the latest progress photo and video.
69680_503483089698422_1607203523_n.jpg

Video Link showing progress in 360 view [video]http://youtu.be/Y-wXOmqqjng[/video]

Still in the early stages of the build but the helmet sculpt is almost done. Just another day or two to smooth it out a bit and prep it for molding. I'll try to post updates here at least once a week as I have some noticeable progress to report. If you want to see daily progress check out my facebook page.
I'm also doing (almost) daily live cam feed from the workshop if you want to tune in and watch me make a mess and cuss a lot. I Plan to live stream the entire build, start to finish over the next few months.

Here is the latest progress photo and video.
69680_503483089698422_1607203523_n.jpg

Video Link showing progress in 360 view [video]http://youtu.be/Y-wXOmqqjng[/video]

ahhh! get it its evil!

nice molding or whatever you did.. :)

Brilliant clay work dude, I was thinking of doing something like this fro a event here in the summer, looking forward to seeing how this bad boy turns out

Looking good, can't wait to see how this one turns out!

Didact's armour seems to be a more complicated design to the spartan, so I'll be interested to see how you build this one :)

This is beautiful work, you're very talented. Really well done!
Definitely tuning in for the rest of this build.

I'll try to answer some of the questions I've been getting about this build.

I am sculpting it in Chavant NSP Medium clay. (my first time working with this specific brand so still learning the tricks to it)

I "plan" (and use that word loosely) to cast most of the Techsuit layer out of a soft expanding foam and/or dragonskin with the lighted rigid layers of armor affixed on top. Rigid sections I will most likely cast in a clear resin so I can simply mask the lighted areas off prior to painting rather than having to cut out every window. (there are just way too many lighted areas)

Since I cannot find a proper clear resin to roto/slush cast with I will probably use Smooth 320 for the helmet. Closest thing to a clear slush resin I have found is Smooth on's Crystal Clear 202, but if anyone knows of a better option PLEASE let me know. A clear or amber colored transparent resin will work but needs a fast set time and not be too brittle.

I would love to make it 1:1 scale but at 12.5 foot tall it would make me nothing more than a living display that has to stand in a corner somewhere. I want to be as mobile as possible so I am shooting for somewhere in the 7 to 8 foot height range. (note: I'm only 5' 8")

I plan to debut this suit at Dragon Con.

I first saw this on the RPF and thought you should come here, and you did. (cough* wise choice, we need someone to inspire us in different mediums ;) .

Just last thing, welcome to the 405th, hope you enjoy your stay, and good luck!

-Seth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back