Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomRanger

DMO, Armory, and Forum Support
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S063
I'm bored at work, waiting for my script to run so I figured I'd create this thread. I'm going to be building a Halo: Reach suit, likely using the CQB helmet and other random components that I think look cool, cause that's how I customize my character in game. Yes, I currently have 2 other builds going on right now, but I'll likely 'start' this one this weekend as a means of taking a break from trying to paint the same thing over and over. I will be doing my best to emulate the build process of ExCeLLuR8, as he has what I'd call the best suit around and I know I can achieve something similar if I put my mind to it.

I have some experimental ideas about adding energy shields, but I'm not sure those will be flushed out in time for this suit, so it may have to wait for a future build (CEA maybe?)

This weekend I plan on starting the hand plates and we'll see how well that goes when the time comes. I'm scrapping basically my whole process that I used to make my previous suit, in favor of an entirely different building philosophy.

Don't get sentimental about a specific prop, focus on improving the process - Excelur8, 2019

I have some experimental ideas about adding energy shields

Ok, SOMEONE PUT A GIF OF THE SPARTAN SHIELDS RECHARGING! It seems to be beyond my skills at the moment to find one...

But here's an idea for the recharging shields, as well as keeping those pesky con-goers from touching your suit:
20190808_083658.jpg

Ok, SOMEONE PUT A GIF OF THE SPARTAN SHIELDS RECHARGING! It seems to be beyond my skills at the moment to find one...

But here's an idea for the recharging shields, as well as keeping those pesky con-goers from touching your suit:
I briefly considered this the other day, then decided it's probably best not to walk around a crowded public place as an armored tesla cannon xD.

I do have idea's on how to do the thunderstorm helmet though, but that'd likely also be another build as I honestly wasn't the biggest fan. I'll likely do one as a proof of concept at some point though.

I'm bored at work, waiting for my script to run so I figured I'd create this thread. I'm going to be building a Halo: Reach suit, likely using the CQB helmet and other random components that I think look cool, cause that's how I customize my character in game. Yes, I currently have 2 other builds going on right now, but I'll likely 'start' this one this weekend as a means of taking a break from trying to paint the same thing over and over. I will be doing my best to emulate the build process of ExCeLLuR8, as he has what I'd call the best suit around and I know I can achieve something similar if I put my mind to it.

I have some experimental ideas about adding energy shields, but I'm not sure those will be flushed out in time for this suit, so it may have to wait for a future build (CEA maybe?)

This weekend I plan on starting the hand plates and we'll see how well that goes when the time comes. I'm scrapping basically my whole process that I used to make my previous suit, in favor of an entirely different building philosophy.

Don't get sentimental about a specific prop, focus on improving the process - Excelur8, 2019

Oh man you're making me blush! There are tons of great builds out there that I drop jaw at as well, I'm just trying to keep up! Also, just wanted to let you know since we last spoke, I've found a new love for barge contact cement. Still love the 5 sec super glue, but I digging the barge for alot of assembly as well. Good luck and cant wait to see progress on this!

Oh man you're making me blush! There are tons of great builds out there that I drop jaw at as well, I'm just trying to keep up! Also, just wanted to let you know since we last spoke, I've found a new love for barge contact cement. Still love the 5 sec super glue, but I digging the barge for alot of assembly as well. Good luck and cant wait to see progress on this!
I've only used my barge once so far, but I must say I agree that it is amazing. It was able to do something that every combination of duct tape, hot glue, and super glue failed/struggled to do (mount my HUD).
That leak seal definitely needs sanding though since when I applied it, it added plenty of texture to the surface. Either that or I sprayed too fast.

I've only used my barge once so far, but I must say I agree that it is amazing. It was able to do something that every combination of duct tape, hot glue, and super glue failed/struggled to do (mount my HUD).
That leak seal definitely needs sanding though since when I applied it, it added plenty of texture to the surface. Either that or I sprayed too fast.
Leak seal takes some time to get used to man, it has alot of pressure. 15-18 inches away in light bursts is how I apply it. Light coats. You can get it pretty smooth that way but it also requires a little light sanding to get really smooth. Also low humidity is pretty important. It's so durable and worth it!

Interested to see how you approach the helmet/effect. I was considering doing this how MissBoof did her thor ragnorok shield with the vape pens and water, mixed with some randomly flashing LEDs

In my attempt at making the gloves this weekend, I reunfolded WandererTJ's gloves in a way that makes more sense to me for foam. I would include the file, the 405th doesn't seem to allow me to attach *.pdo
Mine | Original
Screenshot_2.png
|
Screenshot_3.png

Well that went a little easy and quicker than expected. Thought I was gonna spend the day on the handplates alone. I may remake them later because I want to hit T3, but for now I'm satisfied :)
00000IMG_00000_BURST20190810140531_COVER.jpg

Edit: I just realized I totally missed a part of the gloves. Dang.

Fixed it
IMG_20190810_145243.jpg

Last edited:
2 gloves and a forearm done! The forearm only took 12 hrs! Still shooting for tier 3, but I'll be happy with 2.
IMG_20190810_235514.jpg

IMG_20190810_145243 (1).jpgIMG_20190810_235424.jpgIMG_20190810_235427.jpgIMG_20190810_235431.jpgIMG_20190810_235434.jpgIMG_20190810_235523.jpg

I'll probably end up remaking the gloves... but not today hehe.

Just for fun, this is what my current forearms look like for my Mk. VI build. The difference between my first and second suit is blowing my mind.
IMG_20190811_002812.jpg

Last edited:
Lol yeah your first suit doesn't have near the detail of this one, so far.

If you're aiming for Tier 3 you should go over thre forearm and sand the foam smooth. It's looking a little rough in places.

Keep going man, we're pulling for ya!
Yeah, I'm planning on going over it again with sand paper and caulk, and Excelur8 shared a couple caulk tricks with me. I do intend to hit T3 until I can force you guys to add a T4 (suit is functional).

Made a second forearm is about a quarter of the time, and got them both sanded down and caulked.
View attachment 275898

I may have to remake both of them for T3 though. We'll see
Awesome job man!! I'm so glad with how much progress you've made in a short time. You're skills are really great right out the gate for this project and the more you build the better and easier it will get. Keep it up and keep sending me questions! I'll respond as fast as I can.

If I plan on hitting Tier 3 with this build, would I be allowed to add custom decoration that would be permissible within the universe, but not seen within the game? For example, if my Spartan wanted to carve his DIN into his armor or something of that nature would that disqualify T3 deployment? There's technically no spartan in Halo that has done 'exactly that', but others have done something similar such as Emile.

If I plan on hitting Tier 3 with this build, would I be allowed to add custom decoration that would be permissible within the universe, but not seen within the game? For example, if my Spartan wanted to carve his DIN into his armor or something of that nature would that disqualify T3 deployment? There's technically no spartan in Halo that has done 'exactly that', but others have done something similar such as Emile.
I would have to see it before I would comment one or the other, but Noble Team does have their ID on their armor, as do several of the SPARTAN-IIs in various media, so there is precedent for the ID number as canonical graffiti or adornment. I think in this case the execution would be the determining factor. Is it small, unobtrusive, and fits the armor, or is it giant and scrawled like across the entire chest piece or back plate? An "over the top" style of adorment might keep it from Tier 3, but, a small, almost Easter Egg, like addition of a carved DIN would be okay for Tier 3 in my book. (Remeber alos that Tier 3 will also depend on Fit, scaling, and accuracy of armor and undersuit appearance.)

I would have to see it before I would comment one or the other, but Noble Team does have their ID on their armor, as do several of the SPARTAN-IIs in various media, so there is precedent for the ID number as canonical graffiti or adornment. I think in this case the execution would be the determining factor. Is it small, unobtrusive, and fits the armor, or is it giant and scrawled like across the entire chest piece or back plate? An "over the top" style of adorment might keep it from Tier 3, but, a small, almost Easter Egg, like addition of a carved DIN would be okay for Tier 3 in my book. (Remeber alos that Tier 3 will also depend on Fit, scaling, and accuracy of armor and undersuit appearance.)
Yeah, anything like that would be a small adornment. Your answer makes sense, thank you :), and yeah, I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back