Reach Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
This amazing! Next time i'm using foam. By the way Pivateer, don't know if you've gotten this before, but you kinda look like Marcus Fenix, you just need the bandana. lol Can't wait to see this done.

I used plastidip as a primer once that set I laid down a light coat of smoke grey satin then drybrushed, airbrushed, etc etc etc just like normal, but with really light coats so flaking and cracking would be minimal. I also cast up a set of handplates with a 320 shell and ridgid foam core super light but still ridgid to reduce damage. 2 plates ready for paint weigh 1.9 ozs crazy light compared to a solid cast from 320 they weigh 4 ozs each.

Cheers!

do you use acrylics for your drybrushing?
amazing work by the way!

man this is awesome i think you just converted me to using foam for my chest piece,

Wow, great work privateer. I definitely want to try using foam when i build my suit. Could you do a Tutorial on painting the foam?

Hi Privateer,
Great work as usual! I too am building some foam armor but I'm having some trouble when working with pep files. Aside from eliminating the small pieces and cutting the foam at an angle, any suggestions?
BTW I've had great success priming the foam with a coat of contact cement before painting with automotive basecoats (no clear).
I'll keep watching this thread!

Harrison (formerly JUGGERNAUT)

uummm.... dude?? why does this thread not have 5 stars next to it?!?! this thread is SICK!!!! this foam build is absolutely amazing so far!! AWESOME work Privateer!!! 10 thumbs up!!!

hey man your stuff looks great, i think we are using the same pep files, i am having trouble with the ear piece on the helmet did it give you issuses to?

hey i want to try the foam method (pepping and scratch builds are boring me)
do you know if i can get those foam sheets in the uk

This foam armor is just awesome! I love the fact that it allows you to still make durable armor during the cold weather here in michigan! :D Ben's thread was the first one I came across and that is what got me interested in the foam armor. Now that I am able to see it while it's in a more finished state, I can truely say that this is the route I am going! :D

Now I have come across a couple threads of people using the foam and also talking about the different paints that they tested the foam with to see what works and what doesn't. I noticed that you mentioned that you did some airbrushing, but what if airbrush was the ONLY thing that one decided to use? I have a compressor and I have all the airbrush stuff since I used to do airbrush work on cars. Will the airbrush alone hold up to any stress given on the foam or should some sort of top coat be used? If so, what would be the best option?? I'm hoping to also stay away from a base coat since I know you shouldn't exactly be using spray cans in the house due to fumes and I do NOT have access to a garage or anywhere else where I could use a spray can.

Looking really good makes me want to make mine out of foam but I have other projects i'm working on besides my armor and school starting in jan i won't have much time.

Having seen and worm these parts i can tell you the are nice. I keep trying to emulate the process in my own way, but just cant get his level of "smoothness". I guess thats why i'm a noob! :) but the do look good and the emile knife/shoulder piece is awesome! Makes me wanna do emile even tho i want an EOD. And as far as th paint goes, when you see it in person you "think" the parts are metal, but they way nothing, being from foam. Trust me he has this foam down! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back