Reach foam armor and Pilot helmet wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bradinator, I have looked and looked and cannot find a single piece of armor that looks nearly as good as yours. This is truly the best armor on this site. Keep up the absolutely epic work! Mods, please promote this to Elite Status, NOW!!!!

I had a SNOW DAY!!! WOHHOOO!! and i got to workin on the helm!

DSCN2441.jpg

This helmet is not even close to being finnished. i cut out fommies for the small detail and i filled in cracks in with plastidip.. an experiment.. it kinda worked, i just need to put more on the cracks. if this is a bad idea LET ME KNOW so i dont destroy this helmet. its comin out great so far!

DSCN2441.jpg

Well i added fommies and primed it! its lookin GOOD!! i made a vid, and ill put it up when i get around to it. if ya know what i meen. imm gunna bondo the visor now, then mold it! progress is goin!

DSCN2453.jpg

DSCN2454.jpg

DSCN2453.jpg

DSCN2454.jpg

Hey Bradinator really nice work on the pilot helmet. I am working on a Halo 3 Eva helmet and plan on making a mold of my visor too, but I wonder how are you planning to make your visor. Do you plan to do it by vacuforming the mold?

Hey Bradinator really nice work on the pilot helmet. I am working on a Halo 3 Eva helmet and plan on making a mold of my visor too, but I wonder how are you planning to make your visor. Do you plan to do it by vacuforming the mold?

yeah thats the plan, but before i do any of that im gunna make a mold of it, afta i perfect the visor, ill prolly make the mold this weekend.

Thanks Bradinator that is helpfull.

That is an interesing suggestion Ronster, but wouldn't it be hard to make a two piece mold from which to pour the resin? Or If you thought you could brush it on I don't know how you would get the resin off without breaking it. It may end up with uneven surfaces plus a possibility of haze. These are my thoughts, but I am not wellversed in the process so I may be wrong. Hope this answers your question.

At the end of the day, I think it would look better and just be easier to vacuum form the visor.
I guess it depends on what you are working with and what you have access to.
Seems to me that if you were carving the face detail in after you've formed the helmet, it would work fine... but I don't think all those sharp, carving details would transfer well with vacuum forming if you carved into the buck...
I don't have access to a vacuum form, so I always try to think of alternative methods... :p

Hey Bradinator, I'm doing the same thing for my friend's helmet, i was wondering if you could answer some questions for me? Ill just refer to the smooth-on as plastic :)

-Does the plastic leak out of the model?
-How sturdy is it?
-Can it be sanded, detailed?
-Does it crack?
-Does it stick to the pep good?

-Thanks, great build btw!

-The Irish Cowboy

Hey Bradinator, I'm doing the same thing for my friend's helmet, i was wondering if you could answer some questions for me? Ill just refer to the smooth-on as plastic :)

-Does the plastic leak out of the model?
-How sturdy is it?
-Can it be sanded, detailed?
-Does it crack?
-Does it stick to the pep good?

-Thanks, great build btw!

-The Irish Cowboy

UG WHERE DO I START!!!

yes the plastic does leak out of the pep modal. i sudgest taping the pep on the out side heavly so it dosent leak as much. after u layer the inside with smoothcast 300 rip off the tape and resin the outside. i dident do that and it made the whole bondo prosses a pain in the BUTT. its sterdy if you layer and layer and LAYER!! it will only crack if its thin. it does stick well to the paper, but not tape. smoothcast can be sanded and detaled but the paper cant, thats why u use resin on the outside.

i would use smoothcast again for this kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back