Reach Jun Build (Foam/fibreglass + custom undersuit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sassmuffin. Add it to Blackwell’s dictionary!!!

That's my word yo. And this is the original Sassmuffin in the background
DSC_0685.JPG

Dropbox link of the .stl files I've created so far HERE If anyone else is interested. (Also let me know if it works properly)

View attachment 253899
Neck Clip

View attachment 253898 View attachment 253900View attachment 253902
Arm Clip Tac/Patrol clip

I wont need that tac clip anytime soon but I was having fun so made it too.
TurboCharizard

Just double checking that these are to the scale you wanted, the arm clips are a lot smaller than I expected.

I'll print them up for you with settings like this in eSun PLA+
upload_2018-3-13_22-26-13.png

Allllrighty, now that con season is coming up I'm starting to panic slightly....and spring doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon so I'm starting to think I may have to vent my basement so I can do more resin coating and stuff. The armor is more important then the under suit after all. I have a respirator and a tarp and a window... Is that enough to keep the toxic smells from wafting upstairs do you think?

As far as the under suit goes. I think I'm in the home stretch. Couple patches on the arms, some redundant crotch detail then hemming and then the clips. Hopefully 2 weeks is enough for that. Won't get to the leggings until after Calgary expo probably.

How long after resin and fibreglass does the finishing process take usually? Sanding/filler/paint?
I just want it to be wearable by Calgary expo. The rucksacks and extra attachments that make it Jun can come later.

Allllrighty, now that con season is coming up I'm starting to panic slightly....and spring doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon so I'm starting to think I may have to vent my basement so I can do more resin coating and stuff. The armor is more important then the under suit after all. I have a respirator and a tarp and a window... Is that enough to keep the toxic smells from wafting upstairs do you think?

As far as the under suit goes. I think I'm in the home stretch. Couple patches on the arms, some redundant crotch detail then hemming and then the clips. Hopefully 2 weeks is enough for that. Won't get to the leggings until after Calgary expo probably.

How long after resin and fibreglass does the finishing process take usually? Sanding/filler/paint?
I just want it to be wearable by Calgary expo. The rucksacks and extra attachments that make it Jun can come later.

I've got a pair of paint and pesticide rated respirators, a couple of box fans and a window. The correct procedure is before spraying yell "GAS, GAS, GAS" and everything is good, it's everyone elses fault if they didn't get their mask on in time.

You could go with safer materials like Smooth-On's "Smooth Cast" resin. I swear i'm not sponsored by Smooth-On, btw.

The fumes are much less toxic. The plastic is a bit thicker than fiberglass resin, but if you get the right types, you might have an easier solution on your hands. Some of the resins are thicker than others, some might work better than others. You can use some of the thicker resins instead of Rondo if you would like. This way, you'll be capable of wearing the helmet without smelling the aftermath of Bondo. The cure times are a little faster, but depending on the types pf resin you get, you'll be fine with a lot less ventilation.

IDK, just some more information to think about.

Last edited:
You could go with safer materials like Smooth-On's "Smooth Cast" resin. I swear i'm not sponsored by Smooth-On, btw.

The fumes are non-toxic. The plastic is a bit thicker than fiberglass resin, but if you get the right types, you might have an easy solution on your hands. Some of the resins are thicker than others, some might work better than others. You can use some of the thicker resins instead of Rondo if you would like. This way, you'll be capable of wearing the helmet without smelling the aftermath of Bondo. The cure times are a little faster, but depending on the types pf resin you get, you'll be fine.

IDK, just some more information to think about.

Might want to double check that. From the Smooth On site. When in doubt, don the safety gear.

Ventilation
Avoid breathing in plaster dust, mist from aerosol sprayers or fumes of any kind, etc. When using any material associated with mold making and casting, you must have "room size" ventilation (400 ft² / 38 m²) or greater.

If using these materials on a regular basis, you should install an external ventilation system in your workshop and use all materials in proximity to the working vent. Wearing a NIOSH-approved respirator will further minimize risk of inhalation.​

If the basement has a door... then maybe it will air out eventually and not waft, but that smell is going to be around for awhile. If when I would bring the resined pieces to a new building they would fill up the air there. Took about two weeks till the pieces weren't stinky.

Might want to double check that. From the Smooth On site. When in doubt, don the safety gear.

Ventilation
Avoid breathing in plaster dust, mist from aerosol sprayers or fumes of any kind, etc. When using any material associated with mold making and casting, you must have "room size" ventilation (400 ft² / 38 m²) or greater.

If using these materials on a regular basis, you should install an external ventilation system in your workshop and use all materials in proximity to the working vent. Wearing a NIOSH-approved respirator will further minimize risk of inhalation.​
Ok, you're right. Edited my post. Polyester resins, (such as fiberglass resin) are horrible. Urethane resins are much, much less toxic and cure way faster. The solvents are designed to run their course much faster than polyester resins, so they will become dormant much faster.

My point is that you won't have to freak out about ventilation quite as much. You'll still want to wear a respirator, but the process would be much safer. I doubt the fumes will breach the basement.

I already have polyester resin that I'd like to use up first. I have probably 2/3 of the can left. Has anyone layered epoxy resin over polyester resin after its cured? Does it bond at all or react?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back