Reach Jun Build (Foam/fibreglass + custom undersuit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This build is awesome! I do have a question tho: how are you attaching snaps to the fiberglassed inside of the armor? I have yet to find a reliable adhesive that grips rondo or resined fiberglass..

FalseShepherd thanks! have you tried attaching the snap to webbing and hot glue it to scratched up rondo? It’s what im going to try but if that doesn’t work Velcro is always there for me I guess..

Last edited:
I figured out the printer, it was rising too fast and not enough to pull the layer off the fep. Anycubics slicing software is aweful. I switched to lychee and all the print since have been great.
Preach!
Switching to a halfway decent slicer was what fixed my Photon woes. Lycheeslicer is amazing.

small little teeny tiny itty bitty update

I "revised" my vinyl part a bit and now it’s more accurate with the details and layers though I’m not sure it was actually worth the effort... oh well I like it. I haven’t added the shoulder pads, I’m not sure I need to yet. maybe once the arms are done I’ll decide on that.
E682B170-C258-420E-B71E-C6EBA3A4BE99.jpeg489C282D-8B1D-4665-9B39-03D22B213032.jpeg

I also started the spine. i found the dark bluish vinyl years ago and finally using it makes me very happy. Im kinda stuck on the spine armour though, I want to to be somewhat flexible. It doesn’t need to articulate like Spidermonkey60 spine but I’d like it to be able to stretch when I bend over. Im a bit worried the vinyl might get bunchy though..

the blue flappy parts are sewn to the vinyl of the chest armor to create the whole vest-unit that velcro/snaps inside the armour.
C922C47C-71E5-43BC-9A5B-08CC132F9CEE.jpegA1F0A47A-B3E1-4399-B96C-D61CC7A9B193.jpegD9D81248-BDF1-449C-A05A-869D921824BE.jpegB193EB8B-3F18-466E-8D13-255DA255FAC2.jpeg3FDF2FCF-05E4-458E-AFCF-225E0A10789F.jpeg

the spine I’m thinking will attach to the chest armour and use snaps or Velcro to either the undersuit or the butt armour. I’m not sure what would be better when it comes to movement. I don’t really want the spine to pull the butt armor up when I move either....

BUTTON DOWN EVERYTHING. Snaps everywhere I guess...

the blue flaps are made of thinner vinyl fabric with small 2mm foam boarders hand sewn into them with a backstitch.

Last edited:
I don’t have much to report, I’ve made the spine, it doesn’t really expand but it does twist with my body cuz the bottom link magnets to my undersuit.
BC7EE910-DC89-477E-AC94-FF375B7BEF20.jpeg31A56290-A104-44C2-9ABC-AC7819E2E1AF.jpeg

speaking of my undersuit...
on second thought maybe I should not make anyone sad.

again.

Got distracted with lego again, ive finished the thighs for the most part, gotta add the circle detail to the vinyl part but otherwise theyre ready for paint. Theyre all foam except the zigzaggy detail on the side. I cut that part out of the pepped thighs i made 3 yrs ago.
602FFBCA-F06C-40D1-B584-4702DC9FD869.jpeg08C23769-C1BB-4E27-8BEA-7BB28CA6277B.jpeg
The seals are 2mm foam wrapped in vinyl. I dont think theres any reason to make them removable so after i paint ill be gluing them to the armor.

today im working on the shins. Im using the pepped file i made before and probably foam for padding them out a little. Just finishing the fibreglass/rondo/bondo, then maybe a few foamies added for protection.
Theyre gonna be probably the heaviest part of the costume but theyre getting attached to some rubber boots so they won't pull down any if my other armor. Im still trying to keep the weight down though.

FLEX TAPE thanks! I def will I’m just very slowwww

Ive finished the shins Yay.. I wasn’t sure I wanted to keep the fibreglass versions or try foam. So I i gave foam a try and god I just don’t know how to think like a foam smith. So I cleaned up the fibreglass one. one Of them was a bit squished so I used my heat gun to mostly warp it back into shape. I did have to slather on a mountain of bondo to get the last 10% but now they’re visibly symmetrical and I’m happy with them.
42D8A186-BAE5-4DFF-B84A-7F88BF79A434.jpeg
I also started actually painting the rest of the pieces. They’ve still got a long way to go and a lot of weathering to do But I think the camo green is a decent starting colour.
7DF22B69-6560-4C0A-8828-060BD8FB8B42.jpeg8F8C77AE-9743-4092-803E-3AF8FEDB5844.jpeg
I have no clue whether CCEE is happening this year. It’s been a little vague so I’m just gonna try to get it wearable by then just in case.

For armour i still have arms, shoes knees and helmet to go.. there’s still so much.. plus all the bags and pouches ahhhhhh….

oh hey, does anyone know where to get all the little sticker/decals for reach armour?

Just found this thread today and got to say this build is truly incredible so far. The way you have merged multiple materials on both the armour and undersuit, wow it just works so well. Definitely inspired me to give this sort of costuming another go. Looking forward to more updates :D

GIRL, I don't know how you manage to get that thigh armor on you! I cannot get them to fit my thighs for the life of me! Absolutely stunning work as always, cannot wait to see this masterpiece built- Would like to see more NOBLE team builds pop back up.

This build is awesome! I can't wait to see it finished!

Wonderful build! You could try floating the spine pieces on elastic strips fed through the vinyl (on the back of each piece) to allow some stretch when you move. Good luck with your progress!

Wonderful build! You could try floating the spine pieces on elastic strips fed through the vinyl (on the back of each piece) to allow some stretch when you move. Good luck with your progress!
I second this idea

Thats a good idea, im not sure i will end up trying though since the spine attachments are already finished maybe for a future upgrade.

———
Man i feel like i havnt got much done but then i remember I fibreglassed the knees and they were too small so i remade them from scratch and now im pretty much finished the knees. They are fibreglass with foam on the inside for comfort and cuz i know ill be doing sniper poses later hehe.
25793348-C87C-4000-9293-A3045C6A56BC.jpeg80AB607A-7586-40CA-A950-193842BC92F3.jpeg

i also decided on a final color. Its quite a bit brighter than the spraypaint but i love it. Plus once i add scratches and weathering i think it will get toned down a bit.
5A03E6BB-9E48-456C-B0C5-47F166E63395.jpeg

ive also been struggling with the shoes. I made a prototype from foam to figure out how i might hinge them in the middle but foam just seems too sticky/bulky im not sure how to fix this. I was wondering if making a front and back in the style of a steel toe cap. Im not convinced thats a good idea either. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
What have you currently worked up for your shoes? Also, are you aiming to gain any height out of the shoes?

What have you currently worked up for your shoes? Also, are you aiming to gain any height out of the shoes?
I dont really need extra height, but that could be fun to add a few inches.
i have a pepped paper model and a very basic foam prototype
Have you (or anyone) done trooping in non-hinged shoes? Does it feel comfortable to walk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back