Recon Helmet (H3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CollinMcCaf

Wanna see more? Be sure to check out CollinMcCaf's Model Repository!

This model as well, as others, are available for download through the link above!

Original post below:

A few weeks back I was made painfully aware that a good 3d printable Recon helmet simply doesn't exist so here we are, 18 hours in and I've nearly finished getting all the geometry roughed in there. I was honestly expecting this helmet to take no time at all but its looking like another EOD (that one took around 120 hours).

Here's the progress so far:

ReconWIP.jpg

And of course, still being in the Christmas spirit:

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I've been looking for a printable 3D model of the Halo 3 version for the past month and it's wack I couldn't find anything because it's the best armor??? Your model looks incredible so far and I'm so excited to see the final thing!

Here's an update, we're now 23 hours in and most of the general shape is now there. We're of course still missing most of the panels around the neck, the recessed portions on the top of the helmet, in addition to literally all of the fine details.

Most notably, the visor no longer has a visible seam line and now perfectly transitions into it's surroundings.

A quick export has the model sitting at just over 1.2 million polys.

ReconWIP1.png

ReconWIP2.png
ReconWIP3.png

It's been awhile since the last update. I've pretty well finished the major details and now just have a few more additions to go. I've also been working on creating a set of textures so that I can add a bit of color to my renders. So far I haven't been able to get the paint or visor to look right, the rubber is getting close though!

Still too soon to estimate how long it will be before this model is finished.

Recon2.png
Recon1.png
Recon3.png

It's been awhile since the last update. I've pretty well finished the major details and now just have a few more additions to go. I've also been working on creating a set of textures so that I can add a bit of color to my renders. So far I haven't been able to get the paint or visor to look right, the rubber is getting close though!

View attachment 265547 View attachment 265546 View attachment 265548
pm me i have a professionally finished recon helmet for free for you

View attachment 265547 View attachment 265546 View attachment 265548
This looks soooo good and clean!! nice!!

This is starting to look good. It’s pretty fun developing those details that are just texture map work on the game model isn’t it?

You may want to consider setting the visor back a bit from the area below it (or bringing that area out). Hardly anything in this world is perfectly flush.

Here we are boys and girls, "U Can Has Recon". Its done, finished, complete. Oniwolf, "Drake Cosplay and Props" will have castings available for this helmet soon (a link as well as photos, will appear on this page).

I had to whittle this one all the way down to 3.8 million polys to get it printable (it was originally 5.9 million polys).

The file can be found on my model repository: CollinMcCaf's Model Repository

Recon-Perspective_B.png
Recon-Front_B.png
Recon-Right_B.png
Recon-Left_B.png
Recon-Back_B.png
Recon-Perspective_R.png
Recon-Front_R.png
Recon-Right_R.png
Recon-Left_R.png
Recon-Back_R.png

That render makes my mouth watery....
Just missing some details on the visor.

Btw CollinMcCaf, is that rhinos own render engine or another programm like Octane or VRay?

The model was created using Rhinoceros 4.0 and then meshed and exported as an .stl mesh, the .stl was then imported to Netfabb 2019 and the interior shell was created.

The renders were done in Fusion 360 utilizing my custom texture library. I created the library by finding the appropriate gloss (trial and error), then importing the color hex codes.

Here we are boys and girls, "U Can Has Recon". Its done, finished, complete. Oniwolf, "Drake Cosplay and Props" will have castings available for this helmet soon (a link as well as photos, will appear on this page).

I had to whittle this one all the way down to 3.8 million polys to get it printable (it was originally 5.9 million polys).

The file can be found on my model repository: CollinMcCaf's Model Repository

View attachment 266597 View attachment 266593 View attachment 266599 View attachment 266595 View attachment 266591 View attachment 266598 View attachment 266594 View attachment 266600 View attachment 266596 View attachment 266592

The model was created using Rhinoceros 4.0 and then meshed and exported as an .stl mesh, the .stl was then imported to Netfabb 2019 and the interior shell was created.

The renders were done in Fusion 360 utilizing my custom texture library. I created the library by finding the appropriate gloss (trial and error), then importing the color hex codes.

This is the best recon model I've ever seen, thanks so much for your hard work and open model repository

So, i just got an ender 3, and i plan on printing a helmet soon. Either this one or an ODST. What nozzle / settings would you recommend? I plan on using bondo / sander to fill in the cracks and to make it nice and smooth at the end if that matters on selection.

oniwolf printed his using a 0.4mm nozzle at 0.2mm layer heights with minimal issues. If it wasn't for the print time though, I'd recommend a 0.2mm nozzle with 0.1mm layer height. Due to the curvature of the model, you'll end with a fair amount of layer lines to fill at the top and bottom of the helmet. ODST has the same issue, although its easier to fill.

Checking in as 0.4mm nozzle, 24% infill, 0.2mm layer height, 60mm/s, 100mm/s travel speed, 210° nozzle, 50°C bed.

That's pretty much my go-to settings when printing armour and other large pieces to keep print times below two days. Obviously you'll want to adjust depending on your printer and material but these settings rock.

I printed my helmet at 0.2mm layer hieght with a 0.4mm nozzle aswell, took a fair amount of sanding and spot fill, but it turned out pretty nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back