Rediculous Underarmor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! I really like your water pump idea. My dad used to make fountains, so I learned how to do those. The only trouble is making it watertight so it doesn't leak. I'll think on that... and the money. Donations anyone?

Just kidding.

S-161:
Yeah, I actually have a good idea for a cooling system of the whole body. I got the idea from researching computer liquid cooling. The reservoir is going to go into the one shoulder mount while the pump will go in the other. The other thing is a radiator, but where to put it is a tough one. I'm still working out the details, but I was working on a sketch while I was at work today. Once I find a scanner, I'll post some more info.

Mia:
Watertight won't be a problem. Getting the suit on and off, will be.

I'll work on some more sketches tonight and see if I can post them soon.

-Magnum

well the water tubing pump idea was used for astronauts in space they had hoses going underneath the suit like the arteries in our bodies and worked amazingly

Skullcandy Girl said:
I think it's cool to make a hardcore undersuit, but won't you die of heat in Pleather and leather? I roast in my armored leather Motorcycle Gear even on 30 degree days, that crap gets heavy too.
It does. I was playing Paintball once and I thought I'd be "smart" and wear my brothers leather jacket for padding. I had to stop playing half-way through the first game because I was so hot, and I was really short of breath. I played the rest of the game in a t-shirt, jeans and the thin nylon overalls they gave us.

Last edited by a moderator:
23Magnum said:
S-161:
Yeah, I actually have a good idea for a cooling system of the whole body. I got the idea from researching computer liquid cooling. The reservoir is going to go into the one shoulder mount while the pump will go in the other. The other thing is a radiator, but where to put it is a tough one. I'm still working out the details, but I was working on a sketch while I was at work today. Once I find a scanner, I'll post some more info.

Mia:
Watertight won't be a problem. Getting the suit on and off, will be.

I'll work on some more sketches tonight and see if I can post them soon.

-Magnum

So, I worked up a rough sketch on the computer here of my idea for the undersuit cooling system. I got the profile of the suit from someone else, just edited it and added stuff.
The blue lines are the coolant lines. The blue boxes are you pump and reservoir(or radiator as I haven't decided which will be more useful yet). The red boxes are your power supply for the electronics in the suit and the pump. The grey line on the back is the zipper parting line for getting in and out of the suit, and I haven't decided how long I want it yet, as I'll have to cover certain parts of it when the suit is complete. As you can see, the lines reach almost every major part of the body. I'm also looking into if I'll need 'water blocks' to actually transfer the heat or if the tubes will do the job themselves. If you'd like to see how I got my idea, check this out.

UndersuitLiquidCooling.jpg

Hope this gives everyone a better idea of how this can be done. It won't be hard and it shouldn't be that expensive to do.

-Magnum

I would have to say the only problem with batteries is that they tend to get very hot.

Might need to make room for a heat sink or put enough padding near the batteries so they won't burn the person wearing the suit.

tipper said:
I would have to say the only problem with batteries is that they tend to get very hot.

Might need to make room for a heat sink or put enough padding near the batteries so they won't burn the person wearing the suit.

The idea is still a work in progress, and yes I realize that the batteries would get hot. Yes, a little bit of padding over the shoulder blades would do the trick. I'm still thinking on a way to incorparate all this stuff in the suit and under the armor, and still look normal. It will be a while till I'm satisfied with the idea enough to carry it out. Thanks for the imput.

Edit - Also you wouldn't need to run the pump and all the electronics all the time, so it shouldn't, under normal conditions, be a problem.

-Magnum

IF you attached a sire to the power supply that could plug in and out when you wanted it, then you could put the batteries in the back armor. There's just so much room in there (at least it looks like it) and you could buy the battery box at radio shack. I could imagine you wouldn't want to wire batteries directly to it, cause you would have to change it: often.

tsau-mia said:
IF you attached a sire to the power supply that could plug in and out when you wanted it, then you could put the batteries in the back armor. There's just so much room in there (at least it looks like it) and you could buy the battery box at radio shack. I could imagine you wouldn't want to wire batteries directly to it, cause you would have to change it: often.

Sire? Is that some sort of electronic connection? I was really just going to attach everything to the undersuit, and fit the armor over top everything. I think trying to connect stuff from the armor while you're putting it on would be a little tough and a pain in the butt sometimes. The type of batteries I'm shooting for, if I can find the right voltage capacity, are these kind from kids toy cars and stuff.
rc48-2.jpg

These are usually rechargable, somewhat light weight, and I can have my dad(electrician) help me make/wire them if need be.
I'd rather attach these to the undersuit as I may need the armor to hold other things. ;)
Let me know what those sire things are though, thanks.

-Magnum

Wouldn't a belt pack be eaiser? You can get at them better for changing and wouldn't have to worry about 'hot spots' caused by warm batteries, you could even hang on more batteries if you can't get the right voltage with just two of them.

sire=wire when im trying my best to make it look like im not on the computer in class. sorry.

And a belt pack does seem like a nice and easy idea. But i can't see the water reservior, cooling system, and batteries all fitting in your groin area, no matter how much room there may be.

I suggest a camelback type pouch for a water reservior and battery/pump holder, if you are going to go full out like that. Then you can slide "blue ice" gel packs against the water bladder to keep the reservior cool. I don't know what you guys were intending for the pump but a small automotive windshield washer pump is cheaper that the new computer case cooling pumps, although the auto pumps are not designed for continous use. Both are 12volt DC. So either way that is a lot of battery to run them; probably 2 6VDC RC car type batteries.
-- OR --
http://www.coolshirt.net/

lo-tech alternative:

sew pockets into the undersuit in strategic spots to slip gel packs into. If you know someone with a foodsaver type vac sealer you could even make custom shaped gel packs. Just make liner pouches to absorb the condesation and to keep the gel packs from being too cold next to the skin.

This idea taken to the next level using Phase Change Material in their "gel packs" http://www.texascoolvest.com/index.html

-dwoo

Great find on the cool shirt Dwoo! That is essentially the same thing I was talking about making. 119.95 for the basic shirt is not a bad price either. Then all you have to do is make a custom reservoir and pump for your suit. I like the Idea of gel packs as well. I was thinking about frozen gel packs in the reservoir to chill the cooling fluid.

23 Magnum I like the lay out you put up. The only question I would have is, is it worth the trouble to make that rather than just buying a cool shirt? Building a reservoir and pump set up, battery pack and all that with insulation seems easier than having to build everything plus lay tubeing from scratch. Nice work everyone I cant tell you how much I love it when someone stimulates my creative nature!

Mia - "sire=wire when im trying my best to make it look like im not on the computer in class. sorry."
Hehe, understandable.

Dwoo - Good find, and thanks for the idea of the alternate pump. I was going to look for something other than the computer pump as it seems to large.

S-161 - I'm not sure which would be better, but I think my method may not be much more than buying that cool shirt. Though, it would work for anyone how what's to spend money on it.

In the end, I may just try a few different ways to see which will go the long haul, as that is what this is about.
Let the research continue, and keep the ideas coming. Hopefully between Mia and I, we can make one kick butt suit.

-Magnum

Spartan-299 said:
I say a mod moves this one to the new Underarmor part of the forum. (y)

Everyone is ignoring spartan.

I love this topic and have been folowing it and i am trying to build an undersuite but i look in the undersuite section and dont find this. i will later look for some pep guides or new models and here this is. its not where it should be. please move tis mods, i beleive there is a reason adam made that new section of the forums.

Hey here is any idea,
In your reservior mount some peilter elements they are relitivly low power and are what are used in portable fridges then you might not need to use a pump as it could thermo syphon.

for example you could mount one side to a cpu water block or sealed in the reserviorand the other to a heat sink on the out side of you suit

the above thanks to my apperntice industrial electrician brother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back