Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU64 said:
bevbor...
You mean like NURBS?

Wiki about NURBS

Ummm.. I'm not sure for 100% but...
It doesn't really matter.
NURBS is a FINAL entity representation format.
(Update: really it isn't format of data, it is math. method for description of entities. Okay, can say "format" :) )
3ds max and SolidWorks both can store entities info in NURBS description, but what happening BEFORE storage?

- 3ds max (and other visualization progs) simpilfies all entities representation to zero-thick surfaces built of sets of triangles.
- SolidWorks (and other CAD apps) doesn't so, it keeps entities as is.

That's all the difference, IMHO.

Update:
Now, final look of the side I never seen before:
Push picture to view the big one.
2697840423_6a90760aff.jpg
2697840529_72829f1f54.jpg
2698659734_1e692e88b1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked on their site..
I think what solidworks does is basically a form of NURBS modeling. The Wiki explains it very well.

It will only convert to triangles at render time to calculate stuff like lighting, shadows, etc.
It is never stored as a polygon. So I'm guessing that both programs could be essentially running the same "core" just with a different tools.

Question:
Lets say you were to make a dice.. what steps would you take to make the cube, and one of the dots?

CPU64 said:
Question:
Lets say you were to make a dice.. what steps would you take to make the cube, and one of the dots?
Oh, I can answer that, but detailed wise it would take long to describe it then do it so I'll try to simplify it as best I can.

Create Sketch on Plane. Create rectangle profile. Create CL. Constrain to CL origin. Set all sides equal length. Set one side to distance. Extrude profile same distance. Create sketch on one face of cube. Center point on this face. Creat half circle. Constrain. Size. Extrude/Cut/Revolve. Repeat for all sides and number of divets.

Problem is this is the way I'd do it, but there are many ways any one person could model a die.

Edit:
I added a picture of a die I just modeled in about 30 minutes. The longest part was making the divets.

CPU64 said:
It will only convert to triangles at render time to calculate stuff like lighting, shadows, etc.
It is never stored as a polygon. So I'm guessing that both programs could be essentially running the same "core" just with a different tools.
Here you're wrong a lot. Have you used 3ds max before? Try there to build some cylinder. Immediately you'll see 3ds max dividing it to flat faces! It even gives you a form in property manager toolbar with question - how many polys do you want to define cylinder you build?!

CPU64 said:
Question:
1. coose one of planes (front, top or right)
2. insert sketch into this plane
3. draw a rectangle
4. close sketch
5. choose this sketch
6. insert feature "Extrude"
7. input depth value of extrusion
8. apply feature

you've got a dice
to make a dot (flat, not half-spherical as Magnum did :):

1. coose one of side faces of dice
2. apply command "insert sketch"
3. draw circle
4. close sketch
5. choose this sketch
6. insert feature "Extrude" or "Cut-extrude"
7. input depth value near zero (eg. 0.001mm)
8. apply feature
9. choose just created face
10. apply some color different from dice body

that's all

Edit: Magnum and I posting at the same time, I see :)

Update: here is mine ones :) just born :)

bevbor said:
Here you're wrong a lot. Have you used 3ds max before? Try there to build some cylinder. Immediately you'll see 3ds max dividing it to flat faces! It even gives you a form in property manager toolbar with question - how many polys do you want to define cylinder you build?!
that's all

Edit: Magnum and I posting at the same time, I see :)

I'm not wrong yet, and here's why.
What you described in Max was how to a create a POLYGON cylinder. Polygons are made of flat faces.
We're talking about NURBS. What you described was NOT how to create a NURBS object..
See where I'm getting to?

Now, I use Maya, which is close to Max. Still, I like it a million times better than Max. And there are options to create either a POLYGON cylinder, or a NURBS surface cylinder. And here's what it looks like (without caps).
[attachment=5592:NURBS.jpg]
See any flat faces ;)

Oh I thought you guys worked that part of the convo out already...

NURBS are used in modeling for both Inventor and Solidworks(I believe) as both programs are very similar.(The guy that made Solidworks first worked for Autodesk on Inventor ;) )

Each one's rendering engine is done using a series of rendered images. I don't know for sure if it translates anything to polys before hand though.

CPU64 said:
I'm not wrong yet, and here's why.
...cut...
See any flat faces ;)

Anyone can't say that to understand how 3d applications works is easy :)
I just didn't used MAX since it was version that didn't support nurbs :)
You win :)
*jumps off the cliff*

Amazing job so far! Incredible amount of detail. I just got solidworks and am starting a class at my school. Forgive me if I'm wrong but don't you need the dimensions in order to make it in solidworks, or is there someway to import reference images?

agbates said:
Amazing job so far! Incredible amount of detail. I just got solidworks and am starting a class at my school. Forgive me if I'm wrong but don't you need the dimensions in order to make it in solidworks, or is there someway to import reference images?
Thanks.
Yes, you need all the dimensions to make any parts in SolidWorks.
Reference images you can use as background of your sketches during design.
Great possibility.

So I'm done with this. I've no more solar to continue with it, so I decided to publish it as is.
Interactive Model and Viewer (Windows only) - Download it here.
This is ZIP file ith password masterchief

IMPORTANT! This viewer may require installation of MSXML 6.0 services update from Microsoft update site (on systems with Autoupdate switched off)

Sorry if it looks unfinished.
You can measure, rotate, insert section view and disassemble this model.

Update: -------------------

Thank you guys! :)

For those people who want import this model to their own CAD or 3DSMax / Maya projects I published IGS and OBJ versions.
Attention! OBJ version IS NOT for pepakura designer at all! Don't bother even think about import it to PD2!!!
People who don't know what to do with IGS and OBJ files - do not download, you're just don't need them.

IGS and OBJ in one ZIP is here

Password: masterchief

Edit: You cannot meanwhile to measure this model, reason is unclear, perhaps SW2008 does not exports measureable models in difference with SW2007.
I'm trying to solve this problem right now. =(

WBR

Bevbor -

Once again excellent work! Bravo my friend. You amaze me every time you post something like this. Thank you very much for taking the time to do this as it will come in handy. I appreciate it as I'm sure others here do as well.

:tutu:

That launcher is rediculous awesome. So much detail!!!!

Congrats Bevbor, you never cease to amaze me!!

Ixius

Bevbor - NOW I have to try to open it in pep! I haven't crashed my comp in a while. It probably feels neglected. Crash time! (at least for pep!) BTW - what opens IGS? I'm not familiar with that one.

tlither said:
Bevbor - NOW I have to try to open it in pep! I haven't crashed my comp in a while. It probably feels neglected. Crash time! (at least for pep!) BTW - what opens IGS? I'm not familiar with that one.

Macattack64 said:
I had to try it too... lol...

It's overloading my pep... :eek:

NOT RESPONDING!!! :eek:

You're guys just maniacs! :)
IGS is for CAD, not for us noobs :)

Thanks Bevbor! Mine unfolded but it's stuck at 100% I can hear the hard drive churning!

Edit: Finally froze up pep! I just wanted to see this monster unfolded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back