RoxyRoo's Reach Build + Undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
dang, at firsrt i thought the pep looked too small for the shins, but that is like the perfect size, i think i misjudged where your knee actually was lol

I hope you don't mind if I copy your boot idea to give more height. I'm already 6'3 but a few more inches could make me look more Spartan like. By the way the armor is looking AWESOME can't wait to see it finished!!

awww.... now I feel short. XD

Another update. >.> And I'm only updating again about the shins because I made a LOT of adjustments. It was the right height, but not the right width. I cut off a good inch from the "calf muscle" part of the top. Now it hugs me quite nicely and I'll only need minor strapping to keep them in place. Also, I cut and tightened the "achilles heel" part of the bottom to make it hug closer too. Further minor detailing was also done with craft foam. I went into the garage and gave them a quick, final sanding before heading off to be painted.

Foamed:
Photoon2012-05-14at2245.jpg

Photoon2012-05-14at22452.jpg

Photoon2012-05-14at22462.jpg

Plasti-dipped:
Photoon2012-05-14at2356.jpg

Photoon2012-05-14at23562.jpg

Photoon2012-05-14at23563.jpg

I'll be adding color paint to these tomorrow, maybe in the morning. >.> I need to get these done and move onto my helmet. @_@

8 days left before PCC!!!

I got a quick question for ya.........when you used the plasti-dip, did you experience any of your glued together pieces now falling apart? I ask because after I sprayed the thigh piece I was working on for my hayabusa, A LOT of areas started to become unglued and I was NOT very pleased. :\ Especially considering that my hot glue gun shorted out and I no longer have a hot glue gun for the time being and was not able to repair the thigh. I haven't heard anyone else experiencing this problem so I'm trying to figure out if it's common or not.

Also, I wanted to mention........I don't know if it's just me or the angle of the pictures, but your boots look huge! Kind of reminded me of clown shoes! XD But the overall work of the boots look really good. The toe area looks really nice and round. :)

Oh, and one more thing........I'm assuming you used my model for the tactical case? It looks like my design. :p

I've never had that happen just because of plasti-dip. The only way any of my pieces would suffer is from the summer heat we're starting to have. One of my friends made a suit of foam last summer and it melted while walking to PCC last year. >.> Soo... no. I have not had this problem. It's really strange!

I made them to fit shoes inside, and also to make me 3 inches taller. hehe But I'm thinking the camera angle. They look like normal spartan shoes to me.

Yes. Yes I did. And I gave you creds. :D

I think they look that little bit bigger because you don't have your knee pads done so the shins make your legs appear shorter. My boots look huge too cause I have made them so I have shoes in also but the height they add balances it out once the whole suit is on.

P.S. Your suit is coming on really nicely can't wait to see the helmet :)

I got a quick question for ya.........when you used the plasti-dip, did you experience any of your glued together pieces now falling apart? I ask because after I sprayed the thigh piece I was working on for my hayabusa, A LOT of areas started to become unglued and I was NOT very pleased. :\ Especially considering that my hot glue gun shorted out and I no longer have a hot glue gun for the time being and was not able to repair the thigh. I haven't heard anyone else experiencing this problem so I'm trying to figure out if it's common or not.

Maybe the propellant in the spray is dissolving the glue? I personally just get a can of plastidip and brush it on, never had a problem like yours.

Happy to see that you got along with the armor :)
And don't worry about the boots, feet are one of the first things to get scaled up when aiming for heroic proportions.

Do you have templates for the knee guards by the way? And do you need screenshots from the helmet to deal with the unfolded pep? There's not much time left but I think we'd all like to see this armor completed for the grand event so I'll try to help as I can :)

ive done quite a bit of plasti dip spray and ive never had anything come apart. i use hot glue to hold things together too- however i have had things get gummy and come apart from sitting in the car.

Do you have templates for the knee guards by the way? And do you need screenshots from the helmet to deal with the unfolded pep? There's not much time left but I think we'd all like to see this armor completed for the grand event so I'll try to help as I can :)

Yes, I do. But I'm most concerned with the helmet. The knee caps will be save for the "last minute" piece. lol Screenshots would be nice, but I guess I can just turn on Reach's theatre mode to look at my helmet. >.> Time to start the ball rolling. I really want to be done!

I still need to add some dirt/grime paint to this, but the color paint job is complete. I took some quality pics with my phone, but as I had to bend over to get the shot, some of the light was blocked by my own body. lol ooops. >w>;;

2012-05-16021725.jpg

2012-05-16021805.jpg

yes, I'm a skinny binny. I'll be wearing some black boot covers to make my ankle thicker beneath the armor so it doesn't looks so absurd. Yet another thing on my to-do list.

ONWARD TO THE HELMET!!! 8D

I have totally fallen in love with your paint job. Wish I could get the textures you have, feels like I have lost all my painting skills since my days spent painting 40k models. Truely awesome as always sweetie :)

What "type" of hot glue are you using? By type I am not refering to temperature. There are differeny compositions of hot glue; some are for silk flower arrangments, general use, acid free, acid base, etc... From the behavior that you describe, I would direct my attention to the glue itself.

Yes, I do. But I'm most concerned with the helmet. The knee caps will be save for the "last minute" piece. lol Screenshots would be nice, but I guess I can just turn on Reach's theatre mode to look at my helmet. >.> Time to start the ball rolling. I really want to be done!

I still need to add some dirt/grime paint to this, but the color paint job is complete. I took some quality pics with my phone, but as I had to bend over to get the shot, some of the light was blocked by my own body. lol ooops.

yes, I'm a skinny binny. I'll be wearing some black boot covers to make my ankle thicker beneath the armor so it doesn't looks so absurd. Yet another thing on my to-do list.

ONWARD TO THE HELMET!!! 8D

Looks great Roxy!
Yeah, looks a little big when you see your legs in the image. Being that our brains are "difference engines" their just doing their job by noticing. Once your all suited up, it will be a non-issue.

Great work!
Dave.

Roxy, the shins look fabulous hon. I am loving the updates. :) Hurry and finish that helmet hehe. lol Great job, cant wait to see more

Oh, cool you're using my file for the gungnir, I'm very excited to see it built , and your build is coming along very nicely :D

Small update. >___> Making a helmet, I realized for the sake of sizing issues, it'd help to have a dummy of my head. So I (kindly) asked my sister who (kindly) obliged.

This is me, getting done up like a creeper. haha

**Girl in Red shirt = my twin sister
**Girl in duct tape = me.

Photoon2012-05-17at2328.jpg

The duct tape mask was put ontop of a mannequin head I have, then stuffed a bit further to fill in the extra space. I didn't bother filling in the holes, there's really no need.

Photoon2012-05-17at2337.jpg

I have the whole jaw section of my helmet fully pepped, however it is HUGE. It doesn't really matter, i'm just using it as a pattern/reference anyway. I'll be making my helmet out of foam just like everything else.
Photoon2012-05-17at23382.jpg

6 DAYS LEFT!!!

Right to the finish!

You're cutting it quite close, but at the phenomenal pace you're working at, I'm sure you'll get this done in time for the con. Hopefully you don't have to be hot glued into your armor the morning of the con like I did last year :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back