Sean Anwalt's Halo 4/5 Master Chief build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Anwalt

Sr Member
Member DIN
S530
Well my Buzz Lightyear build is on hold unfortunately. But I'm not being idle! I have set a goal for myself to build a Halo 4/ Halo 5 master chief out of foam. I want to build it to look amazing like LongShot X and ExCeLLuR8 suits. But this stupid suit is crazy hard for me. The files in the armory are not super great (sorry monkeyfuj). So, does anyone have any tips? EVAkura I've seen your shoulder tutorial and am looking forward to building that, but the shins are kicking my butt right now. Any advice?
267369267370 267371

Man Im sorry I haven't forgotten to message you back just been slammed busy the last couple of days. Are the files you are using already foam converted files or pepakura paper? I found for myself that using foam files just wasn't giving me the satisfaction I wanted so then I started spending the hard long hours editing high Def paper pep files to work with foam. That's when it clicked for me. Also I use point to point measuring tool in pepakura like my life depends on it. Always checking twice and measuring to the plain of the surface, as that's what your armor files depicts, the surface. It's looking really good though man! Also, angelegend has like 40 detail videos out there on youtube building halo 4 armor, may help with your build as well.

I've seen your shoulder tutorial and am looking forward to building that, but the shins are kicking my butt right now. Any advice?

Sadly, I only did the tut for the shoulders. The shins and thighs seem to be the parts that give most builders the hardest time... myself included. No special tricks I can think of.. just know that I built each part at least twice before getting it to an acceptable shape. I guess that kind of is my tip... expect to build each part twice.. first time is to get sizing and shape correct, the second is to fine tune everything :)

Sadly, I only did the tut for the shoulders. The shins and thighs seem to be the parts that give most builders the hardest time... myself included. No special tricks I can think of.. just know that I built each part at least twice before getting it to an acceptable shape. I guess that kind of is my tip... expect to build each part twice.. first time is to get sizing and shape correct, the second is to fine tune everything :)
Yeah I can second that one Phil!! I seem to build everything twice as well, and everyone joked with me about it, but I think that's what it takes sometimes! Haha

Ok, so making more than one of everything sounds like that i'll need to do. Especially the chest, unfortunately. By the way, special thanks to ExCeLLuR8 for pointing me towards angelegend on YouTube. Guy talks a lot in his videos, but they are stupid helpful. So glad to have that tidbit of advice.

I have both forearms done, and this is where the curaisse stands:
20190315_210637.jpg

I loved making this little detail piece:
20190315_004928.jpg
But alas, the torso is fit for a child. I scaled it wrong. :mad:

Whelp! Back to the drawing board!

Ok, so making more than one of everything sounds like that i'll need to do. Especially the chest, unfortunately. By the way, special thanks to ExCeLLuR8 for pointing me towards angelegend on YouTube. Guy talks a lot in his videos, but they are stupid helpful. So glad to have that tidbit of advice.

I have both forearms done, and this is where the curaisse stands:
View attachment 267444

I loved making this little detail piece:
View attachment 267445
But alas, the torso is fit for a child. I scaled it wrong. :mad:

Whelp! Back to the drawing board!
Dude that is some fantastic foam work!! Wow! Don't worry about your chest being small, for me redoing a piece just means I'll slam it out of the park even better. I actually like redoing pieces, allows you to fine tune every detail. That chest pice looks awesome. Yeah angelegend is good, he talks a lot but he shares good info, only thing I don't do that he does is the hot glue. Hot glue is just not strong enough for me, that's were my past experience with shoe goo came in handy. Great job man, really excited to see this one come together!

I have done some pretty intense foam work, and have some progress to report:
15529376938173663046027213392572.jpg

15529460064395425133039680247168.jpg

15529377368069048789936956979359.jpg

Huge appreciative shout out to EVAkura for the great shoulder tutorial. This was a lot of fun to put together.

I also figured out the stupid shins, lol. Here's a picture of take one vs. take 3:
15529379170599148167033731589447.jpg

I'll let you guess which one looks better...

Man, this whole costume building thing is kinda fun! Too bad that silly curaisse was so small. :mad:

Last edited:
I have done some pretty intense foam work, and have some progress to report:
View attachment 267603

View attachment 267611

View attachment 267604
Huge appreciative shout out to EVAkura for the great shoulder tutorial. This was a lot of fun to put together.

I also figured out the stupid shins, lol. Here's a picture of take one vs. take 3:
View attachment 267605
I'll let you guess which one looks better...

Man, this whole costume building thing is kinda fun! Too bad that silly curaisse was so small. :mad:
Where's Dirtdives??? I'm pretty sure he's got a good comment on the tip of his tongue g right now.

Niiiiiice, what are you using for your seam filler??? I must know

I'm being very careful to not have bad seams, but I've gone over them with kwikseal. Run a bead along the culprit seam, wet my finger in water, and thin it out.

Dirtdives would probably have a funny comment about sizing, and probably tell me how to size it to be just right, not too big or too small. I've done the too small, and I'm afraid the too big is next. $:

Sorry gentlemen, but I reserve the "Big/bobblehead" category for myself.......as for the small category, that is exclusively for PaiganBoi. He also accepts minuscule, micro, tiny, and atomic space dust..........(just to name a few), as his titles.......His favorite is the oxymoron: Jumbo Shrimp. Make him feel bigger than he is......like when he has extra layers of foam attached to the soles of his boots.....those 2 cm mean a lot to him.
giphy.gif

Sean Anwalt.... you're......well.....average.....ish....:whistle:........not a bad thing.......

EDIT: Sorry, the correct title is SUB-Atomic space dust.

Last edited:
Sorry gentlemen, but I reserve the "Big/bobblehead" category for myself.......as for the small category, that is exclusively for PaiganBoi. He also accepts minuscule, micro, tiny, and atomic space dust..........(just to name a few), as his titles.......His favorite is the oxymoron: Jumbo Shrimp. Make him feel bigger than he is......like when he has extra layers of foam attached to the soles of his boots.....those 2 cm mean a lot to him. View attachment 267634

Sean Anwalt.... you're......well.....average.....ish....:whistle:........not a bad thing.......

EDIT: Sorry, the correct title is SUB-Atomic space dust.
One of these days I'm gonna finally gonna be able to quickly think of a good come back to these.
But, for now I will just respond with a... PFFFT. I know you are but what am I?
:confused::confused::confused:

One of these days I'm gonna finally gonna be able to quickly think of a good come back to these.
But, for now I will just respond with a... PFFFT. I know you are but what am I?
:confused::confused::confused:
I know what you are.....a bit 'short' on the come backs...............:D

Pssh! "Average!" Pffft. Puh-leeez, good sir. A-MAZE-ING, more like it! How dare you! Chah!
It's not a bad thing........I meant no disrespect to you. There are more people that fall into that category than either big or small.....combined. "Amazing" I will agree w/ you, you truly are as well as your build, but that is a description of character...not height which is what I was referring to.

Oh. I see. Yes. I understand now. Quite. Exactly. Misunderstanding. Gotcha. Hmm. Yes. Well.

Anyway time for try two of the torso! I'll update this with pictures in a bit.

EDIT: Ok, I know I said "a bit" and it has been a whole "while", and i sincerely apologize. He is my new torso:
20190320_205835.jpg

I didn't in notice the crooked part in the top center, and it's driving me absolutely insane! Does anyone have any tips to correct it now that it's been installed?

Last edited:
Damn Sean......your build is friggin fantastic!!!! Looks like you didnt pass on and are feeling better XD

Not necessarily better, but not dead, so that's good....

Thanks for the compliment! I'm still just a little stumped about how to get that top center piece to fit better...... I know I can do better than that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back