Status
Not open for further replies.

FANGS

Commanding Officer
Community Staff
Division Staff
The following link is now live for you to sign up for shifts in the 405th booth area.

405th Volunteer Schedule Link Updated July 13, 2019

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING!!

1. The tabs along the bottom show each city - be sure to sign up in the correct sheet.
2. Most shifts are 2 hours - however some opening and closing shifts are either 1.5 hours or 2.5 hours to accommodate the VIP opening and closing times.
3. Each member is required to volunteer for 6 hours over the course of the 3 days in order to qualify for an Exhibitor pass.
4. Those that are asked to be on a panel - those hours will count towards your Exhibitor pass.
5. If you are on a panel - please ensure that your booth shifts do not run immediately before or immediately after a panel as that won't leave you enough time to get to each location.
6. Please enter both your forum name and your real name when you sign up for a shift.
7. Once you have signed up, please send FANGS a PM on this forum with your cell number so you can be reached on site.
8. If you sign up for an opening or closing shift, please remember that even if you have a VIP pass, you'll need an Exhibitor pass as well to be on site before and after closing.
9. If you are signing up for shifts and have NOT yet given your name to your Regiment Commanding Officer, please do so now.
10. If you are not yet part of a Regiment, please reach out to your local Regiment Staff to find out what you need to do to become a Regiment member. You can still volunteer if you do not yet qualify but I need you to start interacting with the Regiment Staff.

Any questions or if you find any issues with the spreadsheets, please let me know as soon as possible.

Thank you everyone!

Last edited:
I've had a few questions that likely some of you are also wondering about.

Yes, you can be in armor for your shifts. However, if you take on a booth shift or the sticky bomb shift please be able to communicate well with members of the public either with a good mic system in your bucket or by having your bucket off. Now, I know that there is this "rule" floating around that says you can't take off your helmet at an event. Let me clear that up a bit. If you're at an event for Microsoft, you better keep that bucket on at all times. Same goes for lots of events like hospital visits or game releases etc. But please, use your common sense. You're there to be a character so do what you can to contribute to that illusion. However, not at the expense of your health. Again, use common sense. Go off to the side or out of sight if you start to overheat etc. and get that bucket off. If you feel like you can't see well enough to get around somewhere - either ask for someone who can see to help or take that bucket off. If a kid starts to freak out and backing up doesn't help - get that bucket off.

Having said all of that, conventions are a different animal. While you certainly want to still portray the character, conventions, especially in a booth setting, are much more about communicating with the public then portraying a character. Obviously, the Flag Photo Op you'll want to keep that bucket on for photos - but the other locations are more about interacting.

If you're going to be working at either the booth or the sticky toss, you can also be in street clothing. Please remember though, you are representing the 405th so if at all possible - wear something 405th. If that isn't possible, please aim for something Halo - like a Halo t-shirt and nice jeans or maybe an ODST PT uniform with t-shirt and duty pants etc. And if you can't do that, please wear something you'd wear to work on a casual Friday. I'm going to go a little mamabear here but it is important to say - whatever you choose to wear, please make sure that it is clean, appropriate, wrinkle free, you've showered and brushed your hair. This is important - you are the face of the 405th. If you're spending the day in armor and then have a shift in the booth in street clothes, please for the love of pete make sure you bring a clean change of clothing that hasn't sat in a ball in your armor bin and deodorant. If you've got a bad case of helmet hair, be sure to toss a hat in your bin. Bring mints and/or gum to combat whatever you managed to shove in your face for lunch. These can be very long days and it can be easy to forget but we've all experienced what it's like when someone forgets and it isn't pleasant - nor does it reflect well on the group as a whole so do your part and comb that hair! And please keep the shower in a can to a minimum. That stuff is like a toxic cloud that hangs over everything and lots of folks are sensitive to perfumes like that.

We DO have a change area that we share with members of the public. My understanding is that this will also have some tables and chairs so you could eat back there as well. But again, it's with the public but really for the most part it will be other costumers. We DO have a storage area behind the Flag Photo Op where you can store your bins that is just for us. Please do NOT store any valuables. While we'll all do our best to keep an eye on the storage area but it is only draped off by curtains. If you can put a lock on your bin, that's likely best. Also, be respectful of people's stuff in that area. Don't take in food and drinks that can damage people's property. Don't spread your stuff all over so others can't access their own stuff. Make sure to put your gear away so it doesn't get damaged when people shuffle bins. And please do not take kids back there. It's likely going to be cramped storage and I don't want anyone getting hurt or stuff broken.

I appreciate all of you who have signed up so quickly! We're only a month away from the first show and things are getting very exciting!

What kind of volunteer work are we talking about? Just representing the 405th and talking about costuming?

I imagine exhibit volunteers are allowed to be there for the same hours as VIPs. Is this the case?

What if I can only be there for a day or two? Would that mean I have to volunteer one six-hour shift or two three-hour shifts?

Would we be responsible for our own lodging? If so, does anyone have recommendations?

I'm definitely interested, and I'm willing to take off a day of work for this so I can be there for all three days. Thanks!

Hello Friendly ! First of all....I see you definitely qualify for Regiment Membership. Shoot me a PM if you want to talk about that.

Next - yes - representing the 405th, answering questions about us and what we do and how to build costumes etc. The booth area is called the Cosplay Lounge/Armory and is a large curtained off area for people attending the convention to come in and relax a little, get in or out of costume and learn how to join up with local groups. Outside of Anaheim, which also has a booth from Anvil Station, the 405th is the only group there officially but we will also have people with us helping us out that are from the Michigan Misfits and UNSC Capitol. This conventions is for the fans so the organizers want to be sure that there was space for the fans to learn about how they can become more involved in the community. Our "job" there is to share our love of the 405th, Halo and costuming.

Yes, those with Exhibit badges will get earlier access so we can get in and get set up prior to the VIP's entering. However, this earlier access is not so our members can get in to lines before the VIP's so everyone needs to be mindful of that.

If you are only going to be there for 1 day, I'd only expect 2 hours of time from you. 2 days, I'll need 4 and for all 3 I'll need 6. If you're there for 2 or 3 days, you can choose to spread your 4 or 6 hours out over all days or do them all at once and have the rest of the con to yourself.

Yes, this is a regular convention and everyone is responsible for their own lodging and meals etc. I'm going to go start an accommodation sharing thread to help facilitate people finding roomies. Hopefully that helps people.

Any other questions, please let me know!

Does the exhibitor pass come with all of the same perks as the VIP pass?
The Exhibitor Pass allows you in Early/Late to help with set up and tear down, however, an Exhibitor Pass does not grant you any of the special items included in the VIP Swag bag, access to the "VIP Longue," or any of the special XBox Live Items. If you are interested in any of the VIP Swag Items you will need to purchase a VIP Ticket.

No, it does not. The only "perk" is that we get in earlier that everyone else so that we can set ourselves up before the VIP's get in. That and the fact that it's free for a little volunteer work.

If people want to benefit from the perks of a VIP pass, you'll have to purchase one of those. You can still absolutely volunteer with us and if you have one of the purchased passes. You just won't have to fulfill a specific amount of hours.

How does the booth shift work? Are the only people there the ones who sign up on the spreadsheet? As in, if this were the final version then there would be times someone is by themselves at the booth or not at all?

tl;dr I want to do a booth shift (Chicago), but if I end up alone I won't even know what to do considering I've been to very few conventions, let alone volunteering and dressed up.

RandomRanger - hello! I see that you qualify to join the Midwest Regiment. Please reach out to Cadet and he'll get you set up.

I imagine at most locations there will be a lot of members coming and going in between their shifts etc. But without actually being signed up for a shift, they don't have to stick around the whole time. So if you are concerned about ending up on your own...and I hope that it never comes to that....schedule yourself along side someone who's already signed up.

Cadet will be in Chicago for the whole weekend and will be around the booth a lot so I don't think you need to worry about this, but it is a good question. Please let us know if there are questions about cons etc. that we can answer for you to make you feel more comfortable.

Last edited:
I will be arriving in Philly on Thursday the 18th will there be any need for me to help setup and also breakdown on Sunday afternoon. I am more than willing to help. I will be with Benton most of the day working the booth with him.

I have a question: what exactly will be done by us at the sticky toss station, since philly has only one booth spot left I was thinking of signing up for sticky toss instead.

I have a question: what exactly will be done by us at the sticky toss station, since philly has only one booth spot left I was thinking of signing up for sticky toss instead.

You would be manning a carnival style game. Assisting kids as they throw velcro balls at grunt cutouts.

Last edited:
That's correct. Just handing out the sticky bombs and making sure the following doesn't happen:

1. That the kids (or adults) walk off with any.
2. That people get too rough throwing trying to break the targets.
3. That kids have fun.

The targets are on the shortish side so this really is a kids game. It'll be okay if bigger kids want to play but they really need to throw underhand so they aren't throwing too hard. The backdrop is only curtains and while it is some distance away, we don't want to have to chase the bombs all over.

We are still getting a lot of questions about Deployment and how it effects your ability to participate so I'm going to be talking about it a lot over the next little bit until we can stop these rumors and myths.

THIS EVENT IS OPEN TO ALL 405TH MEMBERS WHETHER YOU ARE DEPLOYED AS A TIER 1, 2 OR 3 OR NOT DEPLOYED AT ALL.

THE ONLY STIPULATION I'VE MADE SEVERAL TIMES IS THAT IF YOU AREN'T PART OF A REGIMENT YET THAT YOU REACH OUT TO YOUR LOCAL REGIMENT STAFF AND START TALKING TO THEM SO THEY CAN LET YOU KNOW HOW TO BE A PART OF THE REGIMENT.

That's it folks. I'm never going to post up an event for everyone to see that only a few people can attend. The likelihood of us having an event that only a deployed Tier 3 member can attend is going to be very rare. Please read the Deployment FAQ if you have more questions or reach out to your local Regiment Membership Officer (RMO) or our Division Membership Officer - or frankly any member of Division.

Deployments are about encouraging our members to be proud of their builds, proud of all of the information the 405th has to offer and encouraging members to keep on learning new skills and sharing that learning with others. This community is built on that whole basis of learning and sharing. Deployment is NOT mandatory.

Several people have asked about when they can pick up their pass. I am still waiting to hear from the organizers how it's all going to work for both Thursday set ups and then access after that. Once I have the information we'll be able to put together a plan and let you all know. Rest assured though, if you have signed up to volunteer, and/or are on the list your RCO is giving me for people on panels you WILL have a pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back