Simple Helmet Speaker System

So I have been working on one of these set ups and no matter what i try it doesn't seam very loud or has a bunch of popping noise. I have tried 2 different mic boards and speaker amps. i wonder if it might be more of a speaker style issue as I am using the flat style speakers.

So I have been working on one of these set ups and no matter what i try it doesn't seam very loud or has a bunch of popping noise. I have tried 2 different mic boards and speaker amps. i wonder if it might be more of a speaker style issue as I am using the flat style speakers.

Try the speaker I used ( DHB27-8: 8 ohm, 2 watt, 27mm x 14.3mm (1.06” x 0.56”). Frequency range 200 - 20,000 Hz. $7.50 or something larger in sound output) and make sure you have the speaker secured to some sort of echo chamber (like the one I put in the chin of my helmet). It will sound like how I did mine. The only problem is that a small speaker sound can only travel so far.

So I’m starting to plan for this... anyone built custom microphone grills before?

Attachments

• 459B64B1-6562-45AF-84A1-54DAD5E875BC.jpeg
    459B64B1-6562-45AF-84A1-54DAD5E875BC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 380
So I’m starting to plan for this... anyone built custom microphone grills before?

it actually doesn’t look bad, but you lose the ability with this set up to add the LED’s in the accurate Place. To each their own but this would bother me. This was a new design piece added to the helmet for infinite. I would utilize this somehow as the speaker grill.

Attachments

• 59783205-9626-4869-AA2E-73CC7D5BF0C8.jpeg
    59783205-9626-4869-AA2E-73CC7D5BF0C8.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 470
it actually doesn’t look bad, but you lose the ability with this set up to add the LED’s in the accurate Place. To each their own but this would bother me. This was a new design piece added to the helmet for infinite. I would utilize this somehow as the speaker grill.
I’m using that piece as a air intake manifold, inserting a blower fan under it. it should keep my visor fog free and my face fairly cool.

I’ve got a single LED on the lower grill and the microphone in the upper grill. So it will still have the lights, just only one on each side instead of two. A small sacrifice for actually being able to communicate.

I’m also hacking out the black parts on the lower brim to input speakers so people can hear me talk too.

So I followed this tutorial as best I could, but the only sound that comes out is a high pitched squeak. I've never soldered before so I'm sure I messed something up but I can't for the life of me figure out what.

If your microphone and speaker are too close together, you could be getting a feedback loop, which results in a high pitched squeak.Try putting them a bit further away and aim them in different directions or lowering the amplifictaion.

If your microphone and speaker are too close together, you could be getting a feedback loop, which results in a high pitched squeak.Try putting them a bit further away and aim them in different directions or lowering the amplification.
This right here. Also, if you can create an encasement for the speaker, it would help.

Got a weird one. Wired it up as shown, tried 3 different resistors (220k, 470k, 1M). With all of them I get feedback but no audio transfer. But if I hold my finger on the back of the microphone circuitry it comes through loud and clear... ideas?

Got a weird one. Wired it up as shown, tried 3 different resistors (220k, 470k, 1M). With all of them I get feedback but no audio transfer. But if I hold my finger on the back of the microphone circuitry it comes through loud and clear... ideas?
Have you played with the dials at all?

MicandSpeakerCircuit.png

I had to draw up a proper diagram for my own sanity. Got all the parts recently and just wanted to make sure that I understand the setup and wiring.

Is the power splitting off from the switch going to work correctly? Or does the layout have to be different?

It should be fine. I don't know if there's a difference between the two GNDs on the left side on the sound amp, but you could probably just connect the left green wire to the black one, although I'd guess they are connected anyways.

View attachment 295102

I had to draw up a proper diagram for my own sanity. Got all the parts recently and just wanted to make sure that I understand the setup and wiring.

Is the power splitting off from the switch going to work correctly? Or does the layout have to be different?
It should be fine. I don't know if there's a difference between the two GNDs on the left side on the sound amp, but you could probably just connect the left green wire to the black one, although I'd guess they are connected anyways.

Agreed. If you trace out the sound amp terminals, you'll find that the 2 grounds on the left are actually connected and therefore, you can just attach the ground on the microphone amp to either the sound amp or the battery negative. Whichever way wastes less wire.

Agreed. If you trace out the sound amp terminals, you'll find that the 2 grounds on the left are actually connected and therefore, you can just attach the ground on the microphone amp to either the sound amp or the battery negative. Whichever way wastes less wire.
Hey there MoeSizzlac !,I'm about to build this awesome idea of yours,I'm just wondering if the fan it's just for getting your brain warmed or it has a special role in the voice circuit?.By the way,if the fan is necessary could you share the buying link?(I´m just replaying so you could pay me attention lol).

This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back