Simple Helmet Speaker System

Hey there MoeSizzlac !,I'm about to build this awesome idea of yours,I'm just wondering if the fan it's just for getting your brain warmed or it has a special role in the voice circuit?.By the way,if the fan is necessary could you share the buying link?(I´m just replaying so you could pay me attention lol).
The fan is necessary for keeping your helmet visor free of fog. It doesn't contribute to the voice speaker at all.

I used 40mm x 10mm cage fans (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RMY75GH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Hello all! Just a quick tutorial to make a speaker system for your helmet. Nothing fancy/no programming.

Things you will need:
3 AAA Battery Holder
One 4.7M ohm 1/4watt resistor
One Microphone Amplifier
One Sound Amplifier
One Speaker
wire and solder supplies

Step 1: Wire up the speaker. Pretty simple, only 2 wires. Nothing to it.
View attachment 284989

Step 2: wire up the microphone amplifier. 1 wire is for 5v, 1 ground, and one is out. Out get's the 4.7M Resistor.

View attachment 284990

Step 3, wire up the rest. Please feel free to use my super awesome diagram below:

View attachment 284991
Yellow is data, black and green are ground, Red is power, and lavender is the positive from the speaker.

Step 4 Fit it into your helmet:
Please note that both the mic amplifier and speaker amplifier have adjustment knobs. I find that the mic adjustment was fine while the speaker knob (the one in the picture below) needs tweaking.

View attachment 285003

I would get a feedback because the speaker was too close to the mic so I had to adjust until it was fine.

View attachment 285006

And finally, my result.

sweet!

Can I wire a second speaker in parallel from the amp or will that draw too much power? Or do you think that's overkill? I'm making a halo reach commando helmet and I think the two grills by the cheeks are prime real estate for some speakers

Can I wire a second speaker in parallel from the amp or will that draw too much power? Or do you think that's overkill? I'm making a halo reach commando helmet and I think the two grills by the cheeks are prime real estate for some speakers
I would. You will just draw more juice from the batteries as the drawback.

I think it's pretty important to have some sort of echo chamber so that the speaker is more effective. Otherwise, you may not like the results. You can use any resonator you see fit for your helmet, so long as you have one.

For a speaker to be effective, the front must be isolated from the back or else they will interfere and cancel out. As long as you do that you should be fine. The added benefit of mounting it in a port is that you may be accentuating speech frequencies which make it clearer.

It's a very useful tutorial. But have you ever thought about replacing the 3 AAA Batteries for an A23 battery for a power source? It's smaller and it has a higher voltage of 12 volts.
While it may change some tweaks here and there, this could definitely work too since the sound amplifier takes anywhere from 5-12 volts to operate. No idea on the longevity vs the 3 AAA.

If it's smaller but the same type (alkaline/lithium) it won't last as long. If it draws more power due to the higher voltage, the battery will last en even shorter time. A small boost converter is probably better as you can use bigger batteries and still get 12v without needing 8. You might need a bit more filtering though with a boost converter depending on the working frequency of the converter.

While it may change some tweaks here and there, this could definitely work too since the sound amplifier takes anywhere from 5-12 volts to operate. No idea on the longevity vs the 3 AAA.
Okay, so I'm going to admit that I am not an expert on how long the A23 Battery will last, but if I had to make a wild guess on the length of time it would work, it could be over 12 hours of usage. The only way to find out it through experiementation.

Sharpworks had the same issue a few posts up and using a lower value resistor fixed it. My guess is that the input impedance of the amplifier is a bit too low, so the voltage drops too much if the resistor is too big, as it doesn't let enough current flow. A smaller resistor allows a higher current, so the voltage doesn't drop as much. 300k is still fairly big, so you probably won't have to worry about the current being too high, but it should be about 15 times higher than with a 4,7M resistor. If you don't have different resistors, you can also put multiple resistors paralell to decrease their resistance.

Sharpworks had the same issue a few posts up and using a lower value resistor fixed it. My guess is that the input impedance of the amplifier is a bit too low, so the voltage drops too much if the resistor is too big, as it doesn't let enough current flow. A smaller resistor allows a higher current, so the voltage doesn't drop as much. 300k is still fairly big, so you probably won't have to worry about the current being too high, but it should be about 15 times higher than with a 4,7M resistor. If you don't have different resistors, you can also put multiple resistors paralell to decrease their resistance.
Thanks!

Hello all! Just a quick tutorial to make a speaker system for your helmet. Nothing fancy/no programming.

Things you will need:
3 AAA Battery Holder
One 4.7M ohm 1/4watt resistor
One Microphone Amplifier
One Sound Amplifier
One Speaker
wire and solder supplies

Step 1: Wire up the speaker. Pretty simple, only 2 wires. Nothing to it.
View attachment 284989

Step 2: wire up the microphone amplifier. 1 wire is for 5v, 1 ground, and one is out. Out get's the 4.7M Resistor.

View attachment 284990

Step 3, wire up the rest. Please feel free to use my super awesome diagram below:

View attachment 284991
Yellow is data, black and green are ground, Red is power, and lavender is the positive from the speaker.

Step 4 Fit it into your helmet:
Please note that both the mic amplifier and speaker amplifier have adjustment knobs. I find that the mic adjustment was fine while the speaker knob (the one in the picture below) needs tweaking.

View attachment 285003

I would get a feedback because the speaker was too close to the mic so I had to adjust until it was fine.

View attachment 285006

And finally, my result.

That's an awesome tutorial, hope to try this out sometime myself

A bit late to the party, but I already have a microphone, but it only has 2 cables vs the microphone amplifiers 3. so could I still use it?

This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back