Stiilus' Armour & Weapon Builds (PIC HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.
why isnt this in the elite section huh cmon people who is with me

ha ha... yeah right... the guys in there do heaps better work than me, plus they all seems much more professional, i still pose my stuff with toys. in some circles, that could be called immature :p ...

This is Better than Hollywood standards, this Is MASTER CHIEF Standards !

lol... it would be pretty cool to see a version of this helmet make it into one of the games one day, but i guess that they've already covered it kinda with the anniversary version :) ...

Stiilus your work is every bit on the level of the Elite Section guys, theres alot of thought that goes into this work, The MKV is prime proof of that with the ONI Operator look your were going for. At any rate if you don't mind me asking, how did you get your stripes to look so chipped? they genuinely look like you tossed the thing down a ravine.... or fell from an orbital platform :p

Stiilus random question, do you have a spare kangaroo i can borrow? i want to ride it to gamestop to pick up Halo4

Stiilus your work is every bit on the level of the Elite Section guys, theres alot of thought that goes into this work, The MKV is prime proof of that with the ONI Operator look your were going for. At any rate if you don't mind me asking, how did you get your stripes to look so chipped? they genuinely look like you tossed the thing down a ravine.... or fell from an orbital platform :p

yeah, see i just don't feel that. i know i spend millennia sanding and filling, and even then i know i'm just not getting it perfect like i should be. i need to slow it down toward the end of a build and really take my time...

as for the chipped paint, it's just a little knowledge of paint. the old adage that oil and water don't mix rings true even with paint. the acrylic stuff doesn't really stick overly well to solvent based paint, it just want's to peel off in sheets (i had to tell a lady that came into work a few weeks ago that that was why her paint was coming off her house walls in huge sheets. like one meter square sheets... she was actually ok with having to remove it all and start over with a proper prime only because i told her how easy the removal of the acrylic was going to be :D ). and of course the same applies visa versa; solvent doesn't like to go over acrylic paints. the only real exception is with primers and undercoats. with the better ones on the market (here in oz anyway) you can put them over virtually anything without much prep (if any with some) and then put anything over them...

that being said (yes there is a method to this long explanation) the yellow colour is a spray enamel, which i leave to dry for a few days before doing any other colour work over the top so as to let it fully harden. i used a spray pack for the yellow band (the same yellow used for the base colour on the MkV actually) for the EVA stripe on the jaw line, and even now i'm still not 100% happy with that effect which is why i started using modelling paints instead. the ones i use are the quick drying acrylic ones. being acrylic they don't stick overly well during the drying process which affords me the time to "scratch" things up a little (or a lot). i mask it off like regular, then apply several different colours (2 greys and a white in the case of the MkV) all at the same time using a sponge brush. then while the paint is still wet, just before it starts to harden off i rub it back with a wet (water) tissue for larger uneven chunks and use a q-tip (the ear cleaner, not the rapper, lol) sometimes dipped in water too, to rub back the areas where i want to have smaller scratch detailing. i then remove the masking tape while it's still wet and clean any bleed through off with the q-tips again to give the edges a worn off look too :) ...

Stiilus random question, do you have a spare kangaroo i can borrow? i want to ride it to gamestop to pick up Halo4

ha ha... i know it's a little late now, but, sure why not. i'll even chuck in one free drop bear with every kangaroo loaned out :D ...
at this point, who else is loving Halo 4? it took me a whole week to realize that i didn't calibrate the "look" thumbstick which was always so painfully obvious in previous games, and then i remembered that i did, it was just so streamlined into the game that i didn't even notice that was what i was doing. well done 343...

i expect it shouldn't be too long before there's some armour variants being pep'd. all the new suits look awesome :) ...

Another awesome build - I just think the paint detail is fantastic!

From where in QLD do you hail from Stiilus?

Where do you get that ability to reach into a T.V. and just grab any helmet you want out of it. That is a great helmet.

thanks poisonxpoptart. to be honest, i wouldn't have been able to do them without the great pep models i started with. even a low def pep file like the MkV i used can have a lot of work done to it to create pretty much anything. sometimes though i really do wish that it was just a matter of reaching into a tv and pulling whatever you wanted out of it, it would certainly cut down on a lot of work on my current build, but where would be the fun in that. mind you though, with all the hard work of making something, i tend to enjoy the piece more when it's finished if i had some troubles that i had to figure out along the way :D ...

Another awesome build - I just think the paint detail is fantastic!

From where in QLD do you hail from Stiilus?

thanks Morphine. without sounding like i'm blowing my own horn here, i'm hearing that more and more. i really should do a paint tutorial. i have thrown it about a few times and given it some thought, but it seems every time i say to myself "right, this is gonna be the piece that i show everyone how i do it..." i always end up getting caught up in the flow of the build and completely skip making the paint tute... one day though...

as for my current whereabouts, i live near a small town called Stanthorpe. i'm about 10mins drive to the south out of town. it's about 30mins from the NSW border and about 3hours drive from Bris or about 2 1/2hours from Toowoomba... in fact we get a huge influx of Brisbanites here every winter wanting to experience "the coldest weather in QLD". i always find it funny because it's actually Applethorpe they're after, but most tourists don't know that that's a small village about 15mins drive on the other side of town XD ...

Superb looking helmet sir! You can tell from looking that you care about detail. And I agree with you that you should make a painting tutorial. It would help so many people out!

Awesome work bro! What's next?

Superb looking helmet sir! You can tell from looking that you care about detail. And I agree with you that you should make a painting tutorial. It would help so many people out!

Awesome work bro! What's next?

thanks Ghost01. i'll admit that even myself, when i look at my helmets a few months after i've finished them i think "holy crap, did i do that detail there?" i know that sounds weird right? maybe i'm just too tired and i forget what i did or something. lol. judging by some of the weird looks i get at work lately after i say something, maybe i just need to sleep more then i'll remember putting what details where on a build.

as for what next, (kinda) unfortunately not a painting tutorial. i'm doing a crash course in blender right now so i can finish doing a "certain" pep before i go on holidays in the next few months. i think i'll keep people posted as i progress with that new build. it's not my secret project i was working on a while ago, that's been benched while this crazy heat wave is on in australia. it's not worth mixing resin if half of it will set in the cup before i get to use it, however it is another build that i don't think anybody has attempted yet. i'd like to be wrong, because it would save me making the 3d file, but i figure i should give it a burl anyway, plus it's as good a reason as any to learn blender :D ...

**GRD Reach BETA Bungie Employee Only Helmet**

Hey hey. So I sat down over the Australia Day long weekend and said to myself "...dude, there are all these engineers and people with really high degree's and a few artists in my family, this Blender thing can't be that hard, right?"

And so I checked out a few YouTube tutorials on some basic modelling while Blender installed in the background. Nice... :D

Anyway, as it was raining really heavy outside I was pretty much left to my own devices all day, and with so few interruptions I actually picked it up pretty quickly. I know I still have a long way to go before I'm doing any professional modelling'v got to say, for the very first thing I ever built, i'm really quite chuffed. I think it turned out pretty good. There's just a few more bits to model on it and some parts that need to be joined still, but I would say that I've nearly finished my first model :D ...

Anyway, without any further ado, I present everyone's favourite non-existant Bungie emplyee only BETA helmet, the GRD...

grdmesh.png

As you can see, there is still a little bit left to do, but I'm very happy with it so far. As soon as I get a chance to finish it off I will. Then I'll import it in Pepakura and do the unfold.

As the modeller on this one though, I would like to be the first one to finish the actual build, so unfortunately I'm gonna be greedy with the file until I almost finish the build. Sorry.

Anyway, let me know what you all think. I think I got most of the details in, but if there is anything that you can see or any suggestions, please feel free to let me know.

More pics to come soon :) ...

Glad to see you're still about, you didn't get any trouble with flooding then? The helmet design looks pretty cool, nice work! good luck with the unfold and build :) Have you given any more thought to molding that AR? you definitely should :p Kristian saw it the other day and now he wants one lol.

Glad to see you're still about, you didn't get any trouble with flooding then? The helmet design looks pretty cool, nice work! good luck with the unfold and build :) Have you given any more thought to molding that AR? you definitely should :p Kristian saw it the other day and now he wants one lol.

no, i'm fine flood wise. the bridge down the road from me went under during the night on tuesday, and i was a bit sceptical about driving over it with the water still sitting so high (even though it wasn't on or over it in the morning), but there have been just so many idiots on tv doing stupid things and needing some form of rescue and i didn't want to end up as one of them.
it's actually the heat that's getting to me. for those not in the know (aside from all the other various things falling off me and generally not working :) ) i have a medical need to drink copious amounts of fluid. that sounds like it might be a good thing during the heat, but it's not. any retained fluid just heats up and keeps me hotter for longer. kinda like when you boil a tomato i guess. it sucks. it does however validate my purchase of an icecream maker a few months back :D ... mama lopez would be proud :D ...

as for the ar, i probably will eventually do a mold of it. i want to get the modelling down pat for now though, finish this build, and then finish off the secret build i've been working on (very slowly mind) since about may/june (?) last year. i'm so damn tired right now i can't even remember when i started doing that build. i really should start putting photo's of it up soon. if anything just to show that i'm not sitting around idle :D

Glad fellow Queensland 405'ers are ok! I did fine, although I was driving up the NSW Northern coast on Monday and was a little hairy with all the strong winds and rain (I had to bikes on the back of the car flapping about).

Good to see you back Stiilus. I vaguely remember the BETA helmet, but can't put my finger on from where. Certainly is a different looking beast to craft :)

Glad fellow Queensland 405'ers are ok! I did fine, although I was driving up the NSW Northern coast on Monday and was a little hairy with all the strong winds and rain (I had to bikes on the back of the car flapping about).

Good to see you back Stiilus. I vaguely remember the BETA helmet, but can't put my finger on from where. Certainly is a different looking beast to craft :)

bugger travelling in that. i went to the gold coast today for a m10 conference and it was surprisingly clean for an area that got hit pretty hard. the people there must take a lot of pride in how their city looks to have it so clean so quickly. credit where it's due, those guys work fast.

as for the helmet, it was in the reach beta but for bungie only. it never made it into the final game though. there are very few pics of it floating around out there, only 2 really, one from roughly this angle and another from the top front. ign published a photo of it a while ago and started a bit of a frenzy as people tried to find it in the game. apparently a few people pulled the disc apart (apparently, or so i heard) but they couldn't find it. the kind souls over at 343i went and made the "GRD dolls" for the anniversary map packs hiding 7 within the maps as an easter egg, most of which are an easy find, however some are hidden in walls and so such.

the only pics i could really get of it were the 2 already on the net and a few screen grabs i got "in game". the dolls themselves are fairly lowdef, so i kind of took some artistic liberties with what the back looks like. i would love to see some more pics of the original file from the beta, and would of course alter my file to match it if they were out there, but unfortunately, try as i might, i just can't seem to find any more.

if anyone does happen to find any i would greatly appreciate any images of the beta helmet :D ...

[EDIT] spoke too soon. it just started pouring down like crazy from out of nowhere. hope my car's alright in the carport. and i'm ever so glad that i'm not still driving home in this...

Just a few quick screen grabs before I settle in for the night. Seeing as it didn't take weeks to build the model, I can now take my time doing the unfold properly so it'll be easier for anyone who wants to build it :D ...

GRDback_zps937991e6.png

That's the back. Like I said earlier, the only snaps I've got of the back are from the lowdef model for the GRD Dolls, so I kind of did my own thing there :) ...

GRDear_zps3bc9887f.png

Intergrating round obects and making them a part of the larger file was an absolute bi7ch. I have an ever increased fondness for those with more talent and skills at doing this stuff. The rest of the helmet was a breeze, but this part took me the longest to join...

GRDeye_zps792ee4b0.png

"I see you reclaimer". I had a lot of fun making the eye piece :)

GRDprefilter_zps9f6f170c.png

I'm not sure why this pre-filter even exists on a helmet that has a rebreather. Maybe in the BETA it was supposed to be an add on for hazardous environments or something. I think I'll leave it as a separate bit in the Pep file, so people can add it on at their own choice like all the other hazops pre-filters.

GRDrebreather_zps8c9825da.png

And of course the rebreather. I'll be able to cut those vents directly in after glassing too, so this helmet, like my MkV won't need a fan. Probably ;)

GRDjawline_zpsa099a418.png

And that's the square thingies on the jawline. I think I'll redo them before I join them to the rest of the helmet. I'm just not 100% happy with the way I spaced them out. Plus it's a chance to add a little more detail too :D ...

More updates soon...

Helmet looks awesome man :)

thanks Mstruvmgc. i wasn't sure if i was going to be any good at 3d modelling, in fact i thought i would outright suck. completely. i picked it up quicker than i thought i would, and i certainly found it easier than i expected it to be. now it's another skill i've learned thanks to this hobby, more so because it's opened up almost limitless possibilities as to what i can now build, i don't have to wait for someone else to build a 3d file before i can have a crack at the pep, especially for files like this where there didn't seem to be anyone even thinking about it.

i can't wait to finish it off so i can start the unfold, then do the pep work. except for the concept, it'll almost be completely mine, from start to finish. that's a pretty cool feeling :D ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back