Stiilus' Armour & Weapon Builds (PIC HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your too good at this XD i love the detail work, i think it's what makes a decent helmet something spectacular. That being said what kinda tools do you use for detail work?

CONTINUED...

P4260863.jpg

a Dremel router attachment. i haven't used this yet, but when i get into some larger items i will be using it a bit i think... stay tuned for future projects to see it in action...

P4260865.jpg

Ronny thinks himself a bit of a bad boy... he didn't want to be in this photo shoot, but i told him he had to, so he decided to stick to the back. he's got himself a tin of contact glue, the gel variety. it doesn't drip or string and is excellent to glueing foam lining into a helmet (or possibly a suit, i don't know yet). it's got a bit of a tangy smell to it, so use this one outside if you can... otherwise, open all the windows...

P4260866.jpg

Pi' Tumee here is checking out a basic collection of hand tools... to his left is my soldering iron, just a simple 30w one, nothing fancy, and very cheap. if you don't know how to use one, get someone to show you, or stick to auto connectors (the ones that you crimp together)... under him is a pair of tin snips. i use these to cut out the little metal details that i add to a build ie, the av port covers on my helmets and so such. the files clean the edges up very nicely... the next one along is a small pair of bold cutters. i've used them for cutting the bolts off on the side of the MkV helmet for the mechanical details and to shorten the concrete nails i used on the sights on the M6b... again, not a tool i use a lot, but handy none-the-less... the next two tools are multigrips. the ones on the left are sliding multigrips, the ones on the right are locking multigrips... both do the same job, but i use the locking ones on the days my arthritis is playing up. i use them for holding things that i need to cut where i don't want to loose a finger to a Dremel bit or where the friction of cutting would make the item too hot for me to hold... very handy tools indeed... and last but not least, a regular pair of combination pliers, blunt nosed with a side cutter. i've got a few pairs, needle nosed, blunt nosed, cutters, and non-cutters, small, medium and large... all do roughly the same job, and i recommend that every builder/modeler has at least one pair as they just don't have a limit to their use.

not shown here are some bench tools like a disk/belt sander, a table saw, drop saw, wood lathe, bench grinders and scroll saw. i don't have a photo of my hand saw, jig saw or drill either or my saw horses, but all of which are extremely handy for doing bits and bobs, and are sure to show up in photo's some time soon... i also didn't photograph my paints and brushes, but i'll probably do a tutorial with them in it sometime soon...

it's amazing that i manage to fit almost all this into the one toolbox... my collection is growing, so i'll eventually have to get a second one...

P4260868.jpg

anyway, i hope you've got a few idea's from the tools i've shown here of what i use to do my details and what not... it was a bit long winded, but maybe one day i'll be able to show them all in use :D ...

Im loving the updates and all the details. Cool, thanks for showing off your tools! Man it must be nice to have all those little helpers with ya working on stuff :-D

Im loving the updates and all the details. Cool, thanks for showing off your tools! Man it must be nice to have all those little helpers with ya working on stuff :-D

they do what they can :D ... i'm thinking of one day doing a photographic comic a bit like machinima or something to that effect with all of them. there used to be a few shows on here in australia when i was a kid that was a bit like it. one used plasticine men and a wooden laundry scrubbing brush for a dog, and then of course there was gumby... both of those however used stop motion, i don't think i would go to that much trouble, just something like the adventures of ugly shepard ;) ...

Helmet is looking awesome, You really got some nice detailing going here.

thanks thorn. i'm just as happy with it now as the day i finished it. i took it into work later that day to show everyone there, just so they would finally understand what it is i do in my spare time, that i don't just build "paper" armour. they were blown away, so i know i kinda did something right when you get people who don't have the foggiest clue about stuff like this to give a reaction like that... now i just don't know what one i like best, this one or the MkV, lol :) ...

That would be righteous man. i would watch for sure

i'd have to come up with a pretty good plot that would keep people wanting to watch... something completely different to red vs blue and nothing like robot chicken's stuff either... grrr... to many options, confused...

Thanks for the in depth reply Stiilus, lovin' your little spartan helpers. I suppose i should pick up some more bits for my dremel and some sanders. I have been getting mediocre results so far using chisels and hand sanding. However the mention of using a sharp knife was a good idea, i can be very accurate with mine but never thought of using it for bondo details, defenitly going to be incorporating that in the next piece

All i can say is wow, that helmet looks fantastic, you even made details on the inside! Im just stunned over the result of your work, taking my helmet off for you! WOW! also I think its pretty cool that u made in yellow/orange :p Love your work, really really good looking results! Keep it up! :D

i'd have to come up with a pretty good plot that would keep people wanting to watch... something completely different to red vs blue and nothing like robot chicken's stuff either... grrr... to many options, confused...

Well if you think of anything let me know and ill try to help brainstorm lol :)

Thanks for the in depth reply Stiilus, lovin' your little spartan helpers. I suppose i should pick up some more bits for my dremel and some sanders. I have been getting mediocre results so far using chisels and hand sanding. However the mention of using a sharp knife was a good idea, i can be very accurate with mine but never thought of using it for bondo details, defenitly going to be incorporating that in the next piece

i don't think you can ever have enough dremel bits and attachments for projects like this... it's kind of a hazard in my line or work (hardware store floor/paint department manager) where by i get to see all the cool tools and stuff as companies release them and i just can't help but buy them and try them out... i think i have bought more rotary tool attachments and fiberglass resin from my store in the last 12 months than everyone else in the last 5 years :D ...

All i can say is wow, that helmet looks fantastic, you even made details on the inside! Im just stunned over the result of your work, taking my helmet off for you! WOW! also I think its pretty cool that u made in yellow/orange :p Love your work, really really good looking results! Keep it up! :D

thank you Kroforce. out of my 3 helmets i've built so far, the MkV was the most mentally taxing. more the planning of what version to make what part look like, but the colour really was the easiest choice as it was a left over pressure pack from another helmet build. the pictures really don't show the colour up properly. it's more like the yellow gold that you see on heavy construction machinery like Caterpilla excavators and stuff, but without sounding like i'm blowing my own horn, i too really love the colours on this helmet...

Well if you think of anything let me know and ill try to help brainstorm lol :)

ok, cheers mate... it'll probably happen later rather than sooner, there's just so much i want to do and build that small side projects like that i might put aside for extended rainy days :D ...

ok, cheers mate... it'll probably happen later rather than sooner, there's just so much i want to do and build that small side projects like that i might put aside for extended rainy days :D ...

Totally understandable. Im still distracted with my own stuff too :p
anyways, back to work for me. Keep them updates coming friend :-D

Totally understandable. Im still distracted with my own stuff too :p
anyways, back to work for me. Keep them updates coming friend :-D

i plan on putting up some more pics tomorrow night. i'm busy shooting out every light i see and hanging upside down in splinter cell: conviction tonight. need some away time from halo. i know, blasphemy, but meh, the npc's really should turn the lights off when they leave the rooms...

DAMN your helmet looks great =D

thanks Road Kill. i checked out the progress on your build and it looks awesome too :) ... i might have to start lurking a bit more and check out everyone else's builds for a bit. there's some nice stuff getting posted these days :) ...

i plan on putting up some more pics tomorrow night. i'm busy shooting out every light i see and hanging upside down in splinter cell: conviction tonight. need some away time from halo. i know, blasphemy, but meh, the npc's really should turn the lights off when they leave the rooms...

There is nothing wrong with a little time away from halo. Besides hanging upside down shooting lights and taking out your npcs sounds fun lol. Cant get that in halo :) I look forward to your pics tonight sir.

There is nothing wrong with a little time away from halo. Besides hanging upside down shooting lights and taking out your npcs sounds fun lol. Cant get that in halo :) I look forward to your pics tonight sir.

i'm gonna blame sam fisher... i forgot to put them up, and then promptly fell asleep by 8:00pm... i promise i'll put them up tonight, sorry :( ...

wow, these are looking really nice! i love the detail you put in the yellow helm>,< this is awsome!

thanks Valcara. i'm glad you like them... there's really not that much detail in them, it's just the way that the weathering was applied that makes them look like there is... in some area's i might apply two, maybe even three coats of the blackwash to build up enough depth to create texture and details...

So enough dilly dallying, right? You all want to see some pics...

PC110311.jpg

PC110309.jpg

I'm not actually wearing a balaclava in there, rather, it's the lower visor is darker than the bubble visor, and the top visor provides enough shadow from above to give the impression of me wearing one :D ...

PC110308.jpg

PC110307.jpg

PC110306.jpg

PC110304.jpg

PC110303.jpg

The funny thing is that the "Fishbowl", as big as it is, actually makes my head look small here compared to the rest of me :) ...

PC110302.jpg

PC110301.jpg

Ok. I take it back, I've got a big head...

PC110299.jpg

PC110297.jpg

Poor Akira doesn't know what to think of my new head adornment... He often keeps me company while I'm outside working on something, except fiberglass... It's either the smell or he knows that it's not good for him... As soon as I put my respirator on, he takes off, sitting up the hill chewing on one of his bones...

PC110298.jpg

Well that's it for the mucking about. I hope you've all enjoyed them. The next bunch of pics will be all the close ups I promised earlier, but I'm kinda tired now after another big day at the shop, so I'm going to go to bed now... Nighty night...

Man that has to be the best visor build I have ever seen! I was just planning what I thought was a complicated visor this morning for my next helmet but now it just seems simple. Top marks dude! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back