TheDeadPixel helmet rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowvac

Hello 405th,

For those unfamiliar, TheDeadPixel is Machinima's gaming news anchor. For live events, he wears a Mark IV helmet (Stock Microsoft) that was repainted red to match his in-game avatar.

The helmet fell into serious disrepair and was in need of some love. I was able to get my hands on it, refurbish it a bit, and give it a new paint job to be more in-line with the look of Halo Reach.

I want to give a big thanks to the 405th for all the tips / techniques,
Thorssoli for setting the bar unreasonably high, and Billy Mays for bringing us Mighty Putty.

If the vid doesn't skip ahead for you, jump to the 5:40 mark or click this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrpzWvKHtl0#t=5m40s

Last edited by a moderator:
AWESOME!!!
Dude I freakin love DeadPixel's videos! before I found the 405th I wondered how he got that helmet, then I found it, and still wondered! you sir are really lucky!!!!

Pic of the final helmet

35751_134599739902030_100000560138944_265808_7682378_n.jpg

Thanks Man,

I'd like to pep-out a recon helmet since it's what he uses as his avatar, but he may be switching looks come Halo Reach. I'll see if I can get the company to comp me some more cash and time to do a full build =D

Don't post in the elite section. This is reserved for the best finnished things that are selected by mods.
Moving to creation discussion section.

Hey Snowvac, is the visor see through? And if so, what did you use for the silver?

Yes, but just barely. It's enough to see where the cameraman is. I used good ol Krylon spraypaint, chrome.

I wanted to use a motorcycle helmet visor, but I couldn't find any nearly cheap enough ($80 plus). I don't have access to an airbrushing kit, either, so it was just a quick job done with spraypaint. Definately the weak point of the piece.

Could you not give the faceshield a light sand to help reduce glare?

Excellent project by the way, lovin the paint.

Could you not give the faceshield a light sand to help reduce glare?

Not a bad idea, though I'd probably want to use a sandblaster of some sort, to avoid swirling. Maybe some sort of acid etch?

Another thought was some sort of window tint, but I couldn't find any in time (Had to wrap up for E3)

What was done on that last step right before it went into the plastic bag?

That was the 2nd part of a 2-part rusting effect. The first was an iron-based paint, followed by what I sprayed on.

I picked it up at my local craft store. Be wary, though, it's nasty stuff. Odorless, but leaves your sinuses and lungs feeling a bit sore. I can only imagine it's trying to rapidly oxidize your soft, fleshy, insides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back