Triple ODST Spartan Build

A good chunk of progress to report this week!

First the spot putty and putty sanding process are done.

20221220_172956.jpg
9f034848-75f6-4fae-8093-5d2e346d28f8.jpg

As well as the second round of filler primer and final sanding!

20221223_200736.jpg
20221223_200752.jpg
20221223_200804.jpg

Pretty much all that's left is to paint, put in the visor and electronics. I'll be starting the paint job this week so it should be finished before the end of the year!

Not only are you making your helmet extra smooth, you are also keeping Bondo in business! XD
I do use a lot of spot putty to hide all my layer lines,but using it everywhere and laying it by hand tends to add defects and spots that look like nicks, scratches and metal pitting. I love all the added small details that using spot putty incorrectly tends to give me!

Got a quick video showing the spot putty and sanding done, so have a video!

I'm still in the process of taping and adding the final color to the helmet. After that I'll be doing wearing and weathering. I still need to order the visor because I haven't gotten around to making a working vacuum forming table, but after the visor is finished I think this helmet will be done.

I like this helmet but I like the variety that TurboCharizard has with the Halo 3 ODST helmets a bit more, so I think I'll go with a few of their models for the Alpha and Zulu ODSTs. I really feel like overcomplicating things for Delta's helmet and Dare as an ONI operative uses a nonstandard helmet with ODST armor so I'm thinking I'll go with the most complicated to execute helmet I can think of, GUNGNIR. I do plan on not trying to hide a visor but to use a camera connected to a screen on the inside of the helmet to be able to see, we'll see what happens.

All 3 base colors are down now on to weathering! 405th gets to see progress first!

20230105_204712.jpg

The video for base color and taping will be out next week, then color 2 and 3 on the 18th and final weathering will be on the 25th! Once the visor comes in and is tinted and installed I'll have a full tutorial from start to finish made for this helmet. I can't wait to see it completed vs the helmet I did in June 2022!

No armor progress so far but I have one better, a completed prop! This is made from a biofoam canister kit from D3LTA's Etsy shop.

8e58add3-4945-402f-b1ba-887511b52e6e.jpg

Finished paint and assembly
c8c38058-0e22-47a8-997c-5e01f902fc8a.jpg

a263b5ef-c7d9-43a1-af93-67c46ed39f80.jpg

d6941028-4e68-4020-a9f8-40575f16a4b2.jpg

Weathering done by Apollymidotta

I have a lot of footage for builds and tutorials in the works including a full build tutorial for this prop that I plan on having done next week!

The next build I'm going to be working on is D3LTA's sniper rifle kit which I plan on completing by the end of January, so look out for that progess in the next several posts!

Last edited:
I'm a little late for this update but I've got a new short video up for the ODST helmet process. These short timelapse videos will be coming out weekly on Wednesdays until February 8th when I have the full length tutorial for the ODST Helmet set to be released. This is more or less to give me time to make progress on D3LTA's Halo 3 Sniper Rifle prop so I don't have a huge gap in my content.

I will be making a full length build tutorial for D3LTA's biofoam canister from my previous post sometime within next week. I have to write a script and do voiceover work and not put it off, so if you see me on the 405th Discord in Crafting Voice Chat ask me how it's going and help keep me on task, I appreciate it!

For me it takes a lot of extra time to film the processes of making armor and props as well as edit it into videos. I mainly do this because I want to show anyone who is new to making armor and props how many hours of work it takes to get better looking props so some starters don't get discouraged when their armor and props don't turn out like a few photos or a short final video that doesn't show a process and makes things look like less effort than they really are. I also want to catalog my techniques to see how they evolve over time as I get better at this. This makes the short form content a bit of a necessary evil, so I apologize in advanced. If you have any ideas for me I'd love to hear them!

Anyways, TL;DR Have a video. More are coming. There will be a biofoam tutorial posted within the week, no set date yet. Come say hi to me in the discord's crafting voice chat! There's a long form tutorial for the ODST helmet process coming on February 8th. D3LTA's sniper rifle build will be after that. Have a great morning/day/night and I can't wait to get another update to you guys!

A good chunk of progress to report this week!

First the spot putty and putty sanding process are done.

View attachment 326403View attachment 326404

As well as the second round of filler primer and final sanding!

View attachment 326405View attachment 326406View attachment 326407

Pretty much all that's left is to paint, put in the visor and electronics. I'll be starting the paint job this week so it should be finished before the end of the year!
WOW now that is a smooth helmet, man i cant wait to see it all completed this makes me want to start a odst. correction after master chief is done i will be doing a odst this is why im always broke lol.

WOW now that is a smooth helmet, man i cant wait to see it all completed this makes me want to start a odst. correction after master chief is done i will be doing a odst this is why im always broke lol.
Thank you! There is a photo of the final paint job after the weathering is completed a bit further into the thread! The ODST helmet is fun to do but the size of the visor is always my hang up on it lol.

This thread is more than 10 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back