Tutorial: Install & Detail your visor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using this method and I'm wondering where do you get the magic sculpt to fill the gap?

You're welcome, and thanks for using them! Hopefully having several working examples of this tutorial will convince people to really try it for themselves on their helmets. :) It works great!

Sorry, I hadn't realized you commented. Well, hopefully, because the proof is in the end result. Yours sir is fantastic!

I'm using this method and I'm wondering where do you get the magic sculpt to fill the gap?

Sorry Galvatron, I did not realize you had asked a question, I need to pay more attention to my threads. I purchased it online Amazon. I bought way to much. the smallest size will work. I believe it comes in 1lb, 5lb & 10lb.

I am going to use this method for my helmet. but why is this not stickied?

B/C nobody loves me....:) Lol!

IM SO DOING THIS NOW.

And btw.....emiles visor skull? i think so...might take a while to etch out tho..;)
IMMA DO IT!

Emiles helmet would be awesome to see done this way, since from the in-game pictures that seems to be how he did it. Looking forward to when that comes around.

When im done with my odst armor. im gonna put you on my special thans list
Ex.
Special thanks to:
BLACKULA727
For the visor installation

Benstreeper
For the ODST visor shaping

And:
Hugh
Nightshade
Rundown
Kirrou
Crackhead09
Ruze789
And the guy Who build peps and names it with the word "Final"
For their WONDERFUL files
:D

Do you know of anyone who has molded their visor to suit the helmet?
I'm making a noble 6 helmet at the moment, and i sort of want the visor to look as realistic as possible, but i haven't really been able to find a decent way of molding the visor.

I'm making a noble 6 helmet at the moment, and i sort of want the visor to look as realistic as possible, but i haven't really been able to find a decent way of molding the visor.

Well, BenStreeper did it by vacuum-forming it for his ODST visor. Here's his video.

tk560.com also has some great vacuum forming stuff, including instructions on building a vacuum forming machine that works really nicely, especially since they use it for full suits of stormtrooper armor. Good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I.... I love you.

XP
Lol, To funny.
Really good stuff! I'm gonna use your technique.

More power!
Glad you found it useful
When im done with my odst armor. im gonna put you on my special thans list
Ex.

:D
Thank you, I have a long thank you list aswell. Lol.
Yes, Mandalorian is correct, Ben Streepers video is a great example on how to vac form the visor. I’m building a vac table soon. You can find the details out on youtube. Pretty inexpensive to make. Good luck.

Well, BenStreeper did it by vacuum-forming it for his ODST visor. Here's his video.

tk560.com also has some great vacuum forming stuff, including instructions on building a vacuum forming machine that works really nicely, especially since they use it for full suits of stormtrooper armor. Good stuff.
Thank you for this, I need to pay more attention to my threads. I’ve been super busy lately.

To everyone, Thanks again for viewing my thread. I glad this tut has been helpful. Keep building 405th Members!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rarely are all your questions about a topic answered in one post. But this is definately one of those posts for me. Thanks for the help man, this is one step I'm no longer worried about.

Rarely are all your questions about a topic answered in one post. But this is definately one of those posts for me. Thanks for the help man, this is one step I'm no longer worried about.

No problem my man, I originally started this because I couldn't find anything about it. Alot of the Ideas presented here are borrowed from others, but it works. Keep building!

Firstly, Thank you vshore for giving me permission to add this.

I think vshore's method is a pretty decent way to mount the visor, so here you go 405TH.

vshore100's Mini tut:

First off, I started by taking rubber bands and looping them through the holes to keep the visor in a constant bend. It makes it easier when you are trying to hold the visor in place for marking. You don't have to have constant pressure on it. Just enough to hold it in place.

photos007-1.jpg

Next, I covered the visor in stretch wrap. This not only helps keep it from getting scratched, but also give you something to mark on with out actually tracing on the visor itself. Also, my visor didn't come 100% covered when I bought it, but yours may be different.
I then slid the visor in place, and proceeded to trace around the visor opening to get an out line of where I need to cut.
photos006-1.jpg

After that, I outlined the previous marking so as to have a perimeter to mount the visor to and this will serve as my cut line.
photos008-1.jpg

Next, I used my dremel and cut out the visor portion I would be using.
photos009-1.jpg

Next... time to choose the mounting hardware and something to glue it all in. In Black's tut. he used chicago screws and mighty putty to mount the visor. This is where I went a different route. At work we use what is known as a 1/4-20 poly nut, or nutsert to fasten some of our parts together. They are used when you don't have access to get a traditional hex nut in a particular location.
photos014-1.jpg

You can see in the pic that they are crushed (nutsert on the left) using a tool similar to a rivet gun. I used this to my advantage as I could size them anywhere from 15mm down to 10mm. Which helped me make up for any thickness differences in the rondo.
The adhesive I used, also readily available, was JB kwik weld. It sets up in about 4 minutes and holds strong.
photos010-1.jpg

So I first found where I wanted to mount the nutserts. Each one I traced with a sharpie marker, adjusting the heights of each one until I had what I needed. Then, I mixed up a small batch of JB weld, a placed a little on each of the three spots and stuck the nutserts into place, then let it set for a few minutes. Then, I made another batch and applied it around the base of the nutsert to really lock in place.
photos011.jpg

Once the weld had cured, it was time to mark the holes in the visor for drilling. I started with the top one, centering the visor where it needed to be, marked the first hole, drilled it out, and screwed in it. Then, I marked the two remaining holes, drilled them out, and screwed them in. I did have to cut my screws down to about half the original length because I collapsed the nutserts. You can see the 1/4-20 button head screws I used in the photo, but you could use the hardware of your preference.
photos012-1.jpg

And here is what it looks like FINALLY mounted with the covering removed...
photos013-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back