Tutorial: Install & Detail your visor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you guys get the visor from?

I bought the helmet used in my mini tut. off of Amazon for about $40 shipped, if you are looking to get padding and everything. If not, they have some pretty good deals on just motorcycle visors too. Also try Ebay. Hope this helps!

subscribed... i like the nice easy way you detailed the visor. used that exact method for inserting my visor in my current build, except i used tee nuts instead on screw posts. also used the back fill method once the visor was in place to fill the gaps, except i used a product called plastibond. it sets really hard, and like fibreglass, can dry quicker depending on the amount of hardener added. it's a bit like what you guys call bondo i guess, but sets like steel, yet still retains some ability to be shaped while drying, and filed and planed when dry...

I picked it up at a local cycle shop. I havent been able to find them again excep online. Its made by Arashi. But, I've been buying BILT locally and its equally nice.

Im not sure if this was covered, but installing vacuum formed visors. how would you approach this? on the account that some of these will not have the lip that you can secure down on the inside. i.e. the pilot, odst, eva

Im not sure if this was covered, but installing vacuum formed visors. how would you approach this? on the account that some of these will not have the lip that you can secure down on the inside. i.e. the pilot, odst, eva

Sorry Dethaniel, I did not see this. I will add to the tut when I get my (Nick Nackula) Pilot complete lol. Anyways, good question though, I'll need to tackle this when I do the Pilot, so you can expect some additions to this.

Thank you very much for sharing this. It seems too simple to me now- one of those "of course" moments....

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to apply this to a mark V helm. I just saw spitfires variant of your method and it looks like he had a lot of success... but I can't figure out how I can do the same thing.

This tutorial is spot on for a flat faced helmet like commando or recon, but for a helm like the mark V or VI I can't figure out how to join the faces... I can only describe it as two perpendicular line intersecting - not any surface area for the screws to be mounted, at least not naturally in the helm. I think I'll probably have to build them up, or possibly add some wood/fGlass to make a surface for them to bond to. Like make a lip on the inside of where the visor would be mounted to it can crew into that since there is not one there naturally.

Anyway, given me a lot to think about- Thanks again for sharing!

Thank you very much for sharing this. It seems too simple to me now- one of those "of course" moments....

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to apply this to a mark V helm. I just saw spitfires variant of your method and it looks like he had a lot of success... but I can't figure out how I can do the same thing.

This tutorial is spot on for a flat faced helmet like commando or recon, but for a helm like the mark V or VI I can't figure out how to join the faces... I can only describe it as two perpendicular line intersecting - not any surface area for the screws to be mounted, at least not naturally in the helm. I think I'll probably have to build them up, or possibly add some wood/fGlass to make a surface for them to bond to. Like make a lip on the inside of where the visor would be mounted to it can crew into that since there is not one there naturally.

Anyway, given me a lot to think about- Thanks again for sharing!

Thanks man. Yeah, I see what your saying. Hopefully you can figure it out. I'm to familiear with how this would work, but the lip Idea may be a fairly decent Idea. I am considering making a lip area for the pilot, so the visor can attach to it easier.

Well, good luck and feel free to post pics here if you are successful in making it work.

-Tony

Wow really great thread, thanks soo much for the tut's and various methods to attach the visor. You have really shined a light in the fog i'm working thru. Thanks.

I know i'm a nood but like others this should really be stickied, I found it out of shear luck from looking at someone else build.

Are you flexible shade it? I have been desperatley looking for a flexible visor, because I want to sit in a comfortable shade as much as possible, but without success.

Hi Im kinda new to this thread and i am seriously considering on making a helmet for myself, and i was wondering, the inside of your helmet looks really smooth. Did you use plastic molding or anything? Thanks!

Great choice of screw. It looks safe! I have typical 3mm shaft long necks in mine which I was thinking of shortening, but if I were to fall on my head whilst wearing it I could end up like Frankenstein. Kudos for the tute.

This thread is awesome and will help me out a lot for my groups helmets...a mixture of EOD, Mk VI, Recon and standard Reach helm, but I did the EVA style and looking into what I can do for the visor for that one.....any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated

Are you flexible shade it? I have been desperatley looking for a flexible visor, because I want to sit in a comfortable shade as much as possible, but without success.

I have no Idea what you are talking about, sorry.

Hi Im kinda new to this thread and i am seriously considering on making a helmet for myself, and i was wondering, the inside of your helmet looks really smooth. Did you use plastic molding or anything? Thanks!

Sorry man, I didn'tee this, sort of neglected this thread, been real busy lately. Anyways, I use rondo 1:1 mix ratio. TYRDropprops has a great tut on it. Also, Ben streeper has the videos that pretty much taught me everything I know on rondo.

Great choice of screw. It looks safe! I have typical 3mm shaft long necks in mine which I was thinking of shortening, but if I were to fall on my head whilst wearing it I could end up like Frankenstein. Kudos for the tute.

Thanks man, hope it helps!

so useful, thankyou

Your welcome, just tried to give a little back, since I've learned so much from everyone else.

This thread is awesome and will help me out a lot for my groups helmets...a mixture of EOD, Mk VI, Recon and standard Reach helm, but I did the EVA style and looking into what I can do for the visor for that one.....any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated

Yeah man, its a tough one on the vac formed or heat formed visors. I'll try and get something up. It helps if you see it in action. Unfortunately, I dont have a video camera other than whats on my phone, trouble is, I can't vac form and hold the camera at the same time...lol. I'll try and see what I can do though. I would like to add to this tut how to install the visors into the pilot & ODST type helms, when I can, I will.

Thanks again everyone for viewing my tut.

Keep building 405!

Tony

Ok, thanks for the advice. I've done some research into the vac forming but I never see anything on the installation of the visor. From what i can tell everyone I've see do it just use the actual visor right off the pep work; therefore, the method you used for this tut doesn't seem like it would work. I believe I saw in one build of a Pilot helmet he just super glued it on, but I don't trust super glue as much as I would this method. One question though, what would I do about the color of the visor? I would like to do black but I'm not sure if there is a spray I can use or just do like a classic tinting job. Sorry it ran so long it all kind of spilled out lol

Ok, thanks for the advice. I've done some research into the vac forming but I never see anything on the installation of the visor. From what i can tell everyone I've see do it just use the actual visor right off the pep work; therefore, the method you used for this tut doesn't seem like it would work. I believe I saw in one build of a Pilot helmet he just super glued it on, but I don't trust super glue as much as I would this method. One question though, what would I do about the color of the visor? I would like to do black but I'm not sure if there is a spray I can use or just do like a classic tinting job. Sorry it ran so long it all kind of spilled out lol

Yeah, like I said, once I perfect the install of these types of visors, I will add to the tut. I've been using this to tint them.

Night Shade Tail Light Tint

I hope this helps,

Tony

Awesome this is what I think I've seen used. It is a spray correct? Hopefully I can start the hardening process this weekend, but with the temperature that may not be possible. We'll see.......Thanks again for the help I really appreciate this.

This is brilliant, thank you so much. I've just finished peping my first helmet and I have a visor ready to install. Now I know what to do with it! Hooray!

Thanks for such a detailed and yet simple tutorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back