Weapon Props for Outpost Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
So all my weapons are 3D printed and I thought about bringing my Evike Airsoft MA5B, if I take the battery out of the gun and temp plug the barrel with a 3D printed plug do you think I'll be good. I want to bring an AR but don't have time to make one and I have this awsome Airsoft gun. I mean worst case they say no and I have to store it, right

Security will not allow weapons made from metal. None. Zero. Zilch. Doesn't matter who you are or whether or not you have an exhibitor badge.

Security will likely check your weapons - most plastic and foam will be allowed. However, that sucker better not be capable of firing anything.

If security tells you no, you very politely turn around and take it back to your vehicle. Once again, I don't care if the guy right in front of you got through with the very same thing. They have a job to do, and they will do it.

Never, ever, ever travel around with that weapon out in the open aside from being inside of the facility in costume. Cover it in a pillowcase if you have to but keep it covered up. Definitely don't walk from your car to the facility with it uncovered. You may bring yourself a world of unwanted attention.

The rule about not pointing weapons at anyone is part of the EVENT FAQ already. Read it, know it. Never, ever, ever point it at anyone. Not even for a photo. I don't care if they ask. Don't do it. Weapons should be pointed up or down but never at someone.

The security staff at each location will be different but we will default to the same rule and there really is only one main rule - WE DEFAULT TO WHAT THEY SAY. Even if that means you can't bring something in. Their concern is not just weapons that can fire but also props that if swung can actually hurt someone, so if you've got a foam weapon with a heavy core - chances are they aren't going to allow for that.

As for the Canadians? We've been doing this forever because we have always had to. We can't even bring wooden handled brooms to conventions anymore where I live because it's solid enough to hurt someone. Bye, bye Quidditch costume! One of my Garrison's Sandtroopers walked to his car years ago with an uncovered BFG weapon and someone called the cops. Another decided to walk to an event that was close to his house in his TK kit with his E-ll blaster holstered at his side. The cops were called. For a time the entire 501st couldn't do any event with weapons. That included a red carpet movie release event in California. Members complained. A lot. But in the end, we did what we were told. The complaining is pointless.

Here's the link to the Event FAQ which contains information about a lot of stuff. Event FAQ

Please note as well - NO TEABAGGING. EVER.

The point to all of this is that it's not up to any of us what makes sense or what is ridiculous or what they should be allowing in. We must follow their rules or we can watch the fun of the convention via photos on Instagram. I trust you all very much not to argue. Answer the questions as best you can and if they say no, it's no.

So the Halo AR Airsoft gun is made of plastic mostly, but has a metal barrel and gearbox, would that make it likely for them to refuse to allow it in. Also what about 3D Printed or Foam weapons reinforced with metal dowels or rods or those that contain screws. Will the security be similar to PAX East, cause they let people in with Airsoft Scars and such. Sorry for all the questions.

At this point, we can only give answers based on conjecture from our experiences and understandings from other conventions and what HOD have posted in their own FAQS. Angela might be able to get some further clarification from her contacts with HOD, but It might be worth it to reach out to their Team directly with Specific questions about specific props:

I did speak to my contacts and I have provided you with all of the information that we're going to get on a generic basis. Cadet is correct, if you have concerns about your weapon not getting through security, it is best to reach out via their website. However, please do keep in mind that the answer you get there may be different when you arrive on site. All of this is based on rules they come up with but is implemented by people on the fly. While I'm sure that every effort is made to be consistent, it is impossible for there not to be some differences.

I think it would be cool if there was a process people could go through before hand to get their props certified as being safe. It would relieve a lot stress some people have, as well as allow for some really cool cosplays. Something like that would be hard to pull off though, because they would likely have to remain on site until the event, and then there's property liabilities. I imagine one of the problems they run into during an event is feeling rushed to make a decision because they have to keep traffic flowing.

I think it would be cool if there was a process people could go through before hand to get their props certified as being safe. It would relieve a lot stress some people have, as well as allow for some really cool cosplays. Something like that would be hard to pull off though, because they would likely have to remain on site until the event, and then there's property liabilities. I imagine one of the problems they run into during an event is feeling rushed to make a decision because they have to keep traffic flowing.
If you're concerned about your props, fire an email with images to their general inquiry account. I've never had an issue with asking for a "Prop Pre-Check" with other conventions and more often than not the organizers will be thankful you did.

If you're concerned about your props, fire an email with images to their general inquiry account. I've never had an issue with asking for a "Prop Pre-Check" with other conventions and more often than not the organizers will be thankful you did.
I'm not too concerned about mine, they're made of foam and if I get interrogated I'll just show how floppy it is like a middle-schooler with a pencil. I just wanted to share the idea, but thanks : -)

So I have a heavily modified BoomCo ARM5A that I will bring with me. It doesn't function what so ever but in my county we have a law that states if you have a replica weapon or airsoft, you must have a barrel plug with a "DO NOT REMOVE" tag coming off of it. The plug can be either bright red or bright orange and the tag must be orange and white barred with white lettering. If they have an issue with it I'll put it away but at least I will be legal in my home area.
I'm not sure what the law is in the City of Anaheim but like everyone here has been saying. Just do what security says, please don't be "that guy or gal." I saw a guy get tossed out of a comic con because he wouldn't stop insisting he was right with security. I looked VERY bad.
So let's all have a great time while we are there!

Yeah, listen to security people. Right or wrong, if they say you can't go in w/ the prop, that's it. End of story. I recently got stopped at the Heros and Villains Con in Edison last week and my DMR was not allowed in. Plastic swords and other assorted hand weapons were, but no to the DMR. Left it w/ security but still had a great time there. Every venue is different and has different criteria when it comes to prop weapons so lets not do what "that guy" did to get tossed out of a con. Listen to security and just enjoy the con......prop-less if need be.

Same I read it in the rules but check out the pics no one has them
It is much better to be safe, than sorry. Even though you have seen pictures of people without orange tips on their weapons, at Orlando, HOD's own official Prop FAQ states that they have to have them. The rules are written down by HOD, but they implemented by people on the fly who are employees of the Convention Center, not HOD. While I'm sure that every effort is made to be consistent, it is impossible for there not to be some differences, like you seeing people who made it in without orange tips, but just because some Security Staff let them in at Orlando, does not mean the Staff at the Philly, Chicago, Houston, or Anaheim convention centers will behave the same way.

Put an orange tip on your prop.

IF ANYONE GOING TO OUTPOST PHILADELPHIA NEEDS AN ORANGE BARREL PLUG, LET ME KNOW AND I WILL BRING EXTRAS.

Just let me know the outer diameter and I will gladly print off a bright orange external sleeve for your barrel tip and add a foam wedge inside so that it stays secure without damaging the paint of your prop. The orange plastic will be bright orange all the way through so no need to worry about paint chipping off, this thing will be a safety marker until it falls apart.

Most of the props at the con were holdables, such as swords and flags. All props had stickers/tags on them after verification by the prop check desk and especially the swords n stuff because you cant put a orange plug on them. The few props such as a br and SMG had the tips. The ar and carbine that was always at the booth and never left was always under close supervision, and was never carried around. Those did not have orange tips(I think because they were on display purposes only and were closely inspected to be safe. The ar was also foam)

Folks, the prop check will likely vary location to location so you cannot assume that what happens at one will happen at the other. As well, security for the event is handled by the facility and they weren't letting anything in being carried that didn't have the current days tag on it. Now, I'm trying to see what we can do so that our members don't have to get them checked each day, but if we have to, we have to.

Volunteers who have signed up for shifts and have exhibitor badges are welcome to leave their stuff in the small change area intended just for us (volunteers who have signed up for shifts) but know that it is definitely NOT secure (just curtains) and you leave your items there during the day or over night at your own risk.

UPDATE ON WEAPONS:

If you take your weapon/prop outside of security, and you bring it back through on a different day than you originally had it tagged, you WILL need to go through prop check again. Likely they won't be concerned with you if you have a different coloured tag inside (as is you leave it on site the whole con), but please understand if they stop you and ask about it, you may need to go back to prop check and get the current day's tag. Definitely, however, if you need to cross back in through security you MUST have the current tag on your weapon. This is the process they have developed and we cannot bypass it. Security will not let you inside without the proper tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back