Why Don't People Type Properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DreadMullet said:
In all honesty does it really matter?

Are you going to fall over and die because i didnt spell something correctly?

honestly... My grammar and spelling online isnt what it should be, but this is because i am usually doing something else, typing quickly and hit the wrong button, or not reading back what i wrote. Now when writing a paper, filling out an application, or any other important document i will take the extra couple of seconds and use proper grammar/spelling.

There are far greater things to concern yourself with than the improper English on the Internet... deal with it.

now instead of bitching, lets all go build some armor... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Your writing is fine. I can read it and there aren't any glaring mistakes. Small mistakes, like missed apostrophes or a letter or two mismatched (read: because vs becuase) don't matter. What I can't stand is when I have to reread someone else's writing to understand it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, if it is typed in a manner that makes me have to read it twice, i stop reading and leave the thread... that is just unacceptable... But if its just a few misspelled words, i dont really care.

Frankly, the only time it gets annoying is either when a. ppl typ lik dis n dun spel stuf rite, b, they act as if they have never heard of punctuation, c, They Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Single Goddamn Word Like This, or d, they type something like the quote in my sig which is absolutely meaningless to anyone (

Who could really go as far even to decided to use even go want to do look more like?), although it does make for good entertainment.

I generally type posts and online chats correctly, I took typing class and I'm at an average of 120 words per minute. But then again, I'm so anal about it that even on my iPod Touch (which is a bitch to type on), I will backspace and spell everything correctly.

I don't use an inch of grammar on MSN, mainly because I have no reason to.

Also: What is this I don't even

EDIT: Bloodl3tt3r, that question in your sig is pretty common around the internet, so I wouldn't doubt if someone picked it up from somewhere else. I know I've seen it on the Flood forum almost every day.

Hmm well, most mistakes are usually acceptable, as long as it doesn't stray from the focus of the written text. However, what really bugs me is when people type in horrible spelling and grammar, as in sentence structure that just doesn't make sense, and when we try to help, but can't because they wrote their question or statement in a weird sense, they get all riled up and mad at us, and still type in the bad grammar and spelling.

Doesn't matter if you are young or old. If you expect to be taken seriously, make sure we can understand you first.

I can stand people not capitolizing their 'I's or the beginning letter of a sentence, or not including an apostrophe in some words. But I can't stand when people talk like they have an education lower than that of a 10 year old's.

like for example, getting there, their, and they're mixed up... That's one of my pet peves.

"I put the apples over their."

*cringe*

you also have to take into consideration that not everyone on the internet is fluent in english. There are quite a few on this forum that are from other countries or are American but they were raised by parents that didn't know english that well an so it fell on them to learn an maybe they still are not that good at it.

an in some cases, there are computers that are able to translate foreign languages into a native language through certain programs, an perhaps the way their language comes out doesn't look correct to us. *shrugs* there could be a multitude of reasons why someone's spelling an grammar suck.

it could also very well be that some people just didn't take english an literature seriously in school an so fail at life an writing. but frankly, it's a waste of time yelling at them about it. just do what most of the others do, ignore their comment. because when they realize they're getting ignored for their inability to write correctly i'm sure something will come out of it one way or another *shrugs*

darkm2021 said:
I can stand people not capitolizing their 'I's or the beginning letter of a sentence, or not including an apostrophe in some words. But I can't stand when people talk like they have an education lower than that of a 10 year old's.

like for example, getting there, their, and they're mixed up... That's one of my pet peves.

"I put the apples over their."

*cringe*

I'm not as big of a stickler for capitalizing every "I" in a sentence, but when people mix up their different there, their and they're, ughhh.. I feel your pain.

When forum members that aren't from a primarily english speaking country, I can understand that their english is not the best, although for the most part their english is fantastic. What I can't understand is when there are forum members who are unable to/refuse to type properly even though they ARE in a primarily english speaking country (i.e. Canada, US, etc.). Like geeze, you went to school here didn't you? There are proficiencies in place to ensure that you learn the language, whether you carry an interest in studying the literature or not. Similar to how some people have driver's licenses, you just have to wonder how they ever passed..

This thread is now about cats.

funny-pictures-cats-have-a-spaz-attack.jpg

lololololololololoololol!!!11111

But no seriously.

I don't mind bad grammar, They wont get as much respect from me but I'm not one to rage at them for it.

Providing you can actually understand what they're saying.

When it gets to a point when you can't, that's when I start getting annoyed and have to do something about it.

As mentioned before, Firefox, Internet explorer, And even Google Chrome I believe, ALL come installed with a Grammar and Spell checker. So Laziness is no excuse. It's a forums not a text message.

If you spaz out over grammar, I think you need to rethink yourself.

Seriously, it's just the internet, not a giant formal meeting were we all wear suits and monocles with top hats.

Spartan-343 said:

Seriously, it's just the internet, not a giant formal meeting were we all wear suits and monocles with top hats.

I'd have to agree here

It's the internet, no one really cares too much

unless it's painfully obvious

then you catch flac from people

Spartan-343 said:

There will be a time when you will see a post that you can not physically understand. It's happened several times.

You actually have to reply just saying "... What?".

The Stig said:
There will be a time when you will see a post that you can not physically understand. It's happened several times.

you actually have to reply just saying "... What?".

Haha true, very true

"H3y gu72 h0w 4r3 youz!!"

Spartan-343 said:

Funny - I have no recollection of ever "spazzing out" with regards to this (or any) issue. Nor, to the best of my knowledge, have I ever worn a top hat or monocle :lol . I do find it unfortunate that apparently the only two options you see as available are formal meetings with participants in top hats and monocles or the incoherent and often indecipherable ramblings of the slacker nation on the "internet".

Why should the inability to properly articulate your thoughts be somehow magically validated just because it's only the "internet"? That's a total cop-out - it's akin to saying that "life isn't fair so why bother trying?". Maybe if everyone invested some effort instead of choosing the laziest option available, the internet wouldn't be devolving into a vast dumping ground for the chronically inarticulate.

Those people in the "formal meetings" get the opportunity to sit at the big table because, by and large, they have developed the ability to intelligently communicate their thoughts and ideas in a professional manner. Leet/textspeak is great for the "Would you like fries with that?" crowd but if anyone ever wants to move beyond that, learning to properly express yourself through the written word is more or less a non-negotiable requirement.

This is not a personal attack and please don't see it as one. I just really have an issue with the whole "it's only the internet so why should anyone care" attitude/philosophy. Dissenting opinions are welcome (as long as they can be understood ;) )...

Unacceptable Internet typing:

I's dis tred, um gunna shoz u al 1 kan mak awsom armer: jst luk aat mi OSDT...

Accaptable Internet typing:

In this thread, I will be showing all of you lovely members of the 405th Forums my talented use of Pepakura, Resin, Smooth-Cast 320 and Bondo to create this lovely ODST costume...

See the differance? If you can read what the post says, and you understand the main point, it is acceptable. If you can not understand a word the person typing is saying, then it is unacceptable.

Now, lets stop spazing about typing on the Internet, and make some awesome costumes and props!

*FACE PALM to self*

Yea, didn't check spelling. not to mention, I don't have spellcheck (doesn't work).

Now, just for an example, I am going to use the word armour.

In Canada, and many other countries, its "armour". In America and a few other countries, its "armor". Spelling, no matter where you come from, will seem wrong to some, and right to others.

Also, people nagging on my spelling, you try typing with only five fingers and two thumbs (broken finger, its sort of hard to type with two fingers tapped togeather and not being abled to use your pinky because of the cast being in the way...).

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
two fingers tapped togeather and not being abled

Wat.

I'm kidding man I just find it ironic how it's a thread about grammar.

I'm not that strict I'm just having a laugh. :L

Also I Only use 3 fingers to type. Maybe the occasional pinky to press the enter button.

In the words of Ace Ventura (Jim Carry) "Alrighty then..."

Personally I prefer all 8 fingers and both thumbs, but since I don't really have that option ATM, I guess im left with the 2 index finger poking thing.

Mods should lock this thread,its becoming flamed,and its basically pointless and stupid.Like we all know that we should type in a normal way(way that has mostly correct spelling and at least some punctuation).No further discussion.Mods delete or lock it now.a

End of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back