Xcoser ODST Helmet Repaint & Potential Full Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Got a decently large sheet of this wire mesh*
It took me too long to remember that Mesh is a material and not just my name lmao

Your bucket looks awesome pal! If it's a sign of things to come with a full build, I am very very excited to see what it ends up looking like!!

It took me too long to remember that Mesh is a material and not just my name lmao

Your bucket looks awesome pal! If it's a sign of things to come with a full build, I am very very excited to see what it ends up looking like!!
Thanks! I got a new job overseas so unfortunately the full build might be delayed but will definitely be able to finish the ol bucket before I go. hopefully when i get back around to it ill be able to sink a some more green ones into it ;)

And we got the War Stripes on! Will head into the hardware store tomorrow and grab some reflective but see-through spray paint for the visor. Luckily I have two so one will serve as the test and then I'll paint it as a 'display visor' or something.

151623420_4182021628508726_9128653056802751507_n.jpg
151537495_752404468716548_4635475547367638714_n.jpg
152435672_789936708277722_7159290449670410749_n.jpg

And here we go! It's pretty much finished! Just did a super light black-wash as I didn't want to overdo it and I like that it makes it look like he's been out in the rain for a while and not so much like he's fallen in the mud. Used the Rustoleum Mirror Finish on the visor too. First tested on my spare visor then did it on the main one, it's really reflective and I can still see through it pretty well, just have to glue it in now. Might also add on some fake screw heads here and there and then give it a clear coat as soon as I can get ahold of the exact one I need. Don't really want to risk mixing brands.

154284952_717009815660305_3983372692413150428_n.jpg
154747392_1003462483522566_2569743929991725407_n.jpg

it looks so much better than the out of box one. the battle damage as well. lookslike this guy has been through hell and back and jumped into it once more for good measure

Man the finished product looks absolutely amazing!!!! I'm surprised you were able to get the mirror finish to work but that's awesome! I tried on my visor and couldn't even see through it in full light with the visor out of the helmet. I'd say about 1% visibility. Not sure what I did wrong.

Man the finished product looks absolutely amazing!!!! I'm surprised you were able to get the mirror finish to work but that's awesome! I tried on my visor and couldn't even see through it in full light with the visor out of the helmet. I'd say about 1% visibility. Not sure what I did wrong.
How many coats did you end up using on yours? My vision was super blurry after about two super light coats on my tester so only went for 1 on my main visor. Had to leave it for about an hour before the reflectivity really started to kick in. Just waiting to get a flat coat on it now but the tamiya flat is out of stock until like july thanks to covid rip.

How many coats did you end up using on yours? My vision was super blurry after about two super light coats on my tester so only went for 1 on my main visor. Had to leave it for about an hour before the reflectivity really started to kick in. Just waiting to get a flat coat on it now but the tamiya flat is out of stock until like july thanks to covid rip.
Same here man. Two thin coats on the test visor which for me was the one that came with the helmet. I ended up buying a dyed visor from a guy on Etsy which worked wonderfully! My biggest issue is in 9 years of costuming I've never figured out how to be able to wear prescription lenses under a helmet. My vision is pretty bad without my glasses on when I'm under a bucket so any lessened visibility makes it worse.

Same here man. Two thin coats on the test visor which for me was the one that came with the helmet. I ended up buying a dyed visor from a guy on Etsy which worked wonderfully! My biggest issue is in 9 years of costuming I've never figured out how to be able to wear prescription lenses under a helmet. My vision is pretty bad without my glasses on when I'm under a bucket so any lessened visibility makes it worse.

That would be especially hard with these xcoser helmets, they're pretty snug! Maybe its time an optometrist makes a prescription visor :lol:

As of posting all of these, this is where I've reached so far, much happier with how it looks at the moment but I've still got to do the colour strips, decals, weathering wash, and then finally the visor. I plan to get some fine wire mesh to paint black and inlay into the vent areas too.

Heres the helmet and my curious cat.

View attachment 302385View attachment 302386
View attachment 302387View attachment 302388
That weathering looks awesome and the tubing you did later looks awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back