Blackula and Hypers ODST build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great. This is coming along very well.

Thanks Justinian :)

Everything looks wonderful, but the visor buck turned out great!! Keep up the good work guys!!

-Matt

Yeah man, just got the buck in today, it looks great.

Wow "BLACKULA727" the molding of your ODST pieces looks really well done. Also from what i can see frome the photos of some of your first cast pulls they look really clean without any air bubbles or warping. Amazing job on the build so far, I can't wait to see the finished armor sets. Furthermore, waht kind of plastic are you going to use for the visors, PETG or something else?

Andrew:

Sorry for not getting back quicker. First, thanks for the compliments, we appreciate it. Second, we are planning to use PETG. It seems the to be the best plastic for making visor. It has really good properties that make it ideal for this type of visor forming.

Thanks again,

Tony

Amazing work you guys! it's starting to turn out real good! Also, is there any substitute to a shop vac for vacuforming?

Amazing work you guys! it's starting to turn out real good! Also, is there any substitute to a shop vac for vacuforming?

Thanks man. I appreciate the comment. Also, I'm not sure. I have heard that 2.5hps or greater for the type of setup im running, but I have seen people pull it off with a house vac. It may have something to do with the vac table construction. Smaller table might yield comparable results with a less powerful vac.

Well, here is an update on the visor. I received the buck, did a quick pull. Here are the pics:

206cf47c.jpg

a4825ed7.jpg

4e331cd2.jpg

I'm holding it in with my hand, it was hard keeping it flush, so it sits a lot tighter than this:

e9a79049.jpg

12b18e75.jpg

Visibility without the blue protective film:

093141c2.jpg

15db0eed.jpg

0a829f81.jpg

46aa5510.jpg

0cfed32d.jpg

Anyways, I'm happy with the results, so it looks like we have a viable way to make the visors now...Yeah! Keep building 405!

Tony

Thanks man. I appreciate the comment. Also, I'm not sure. I have heard that 2.5hps or greater for the type of setup im running, but I have seen people pull it off with a house vac. It may have something to do with the vac table construction. Smaller table might yield comparable results with a less powerful vac.

Well, here is an update on the visor. I received the buck, did a quick pull. Here are the pics:

I'm holding it in with my hand, it was hard keeping it flush, so it sits a lot tighter than this:

Visibility without the blue protective film:

Anyways, I'm happy with the results, so it looks like we have a viable way to make the visors now...Yeah! Keep building 405!

Tony

are you able to see out of the blue visor? it looks kind of dense.

I'll be keeping my eye on this portion. This is pretty much exactly how I plan on making the visor for my ODST helmet. Looking great!

Very good on the visor. I'm planning on making a ODST helmet the same way as well as an EVA helmet, but I don't have a shop vac or that kind of money...

I'll be keeping my eye on this portion. This is pretty much exactly how I plan on making the visor for my ODST helmet. Looking great!

Just hit Blackula up for a visor, I tried to make the buck large enough to fit most ODST helmets

Cant wait to get my hands on a visor so I can finish up my cast, Im just glad the buck worked on the first try, now we have somewhat game accurate looking visors for the ODST helmet

Great job on the Visor BLACKULA727. Your first pull looks really great, nice sharp lines, no warping, really great job. Just another question, are you going to leave the visor clear or are you going to tint them. also if your going to tint the visor what are you going to use to tint them? I would suggest VHT Nite-Shades black lense paint, I used it on my Sean Bradley visor which is also PETG plastic and it works great. Just a suggestion.

Andrew:

P.S. Link to my helmet if you want to see how the visor looks after the Nite-Shades is sprayed on.
http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m540/kenster1000/?action=view&current=1220002038.jpg

are you able to see out of the blue visor? it looks kind of dense.

Hey man, its just the protective film that covers the PETG when you get it, it peels right off my man.

Thanks dude, Yeah, im off the opinion that the vac formed visors are the hotness...:) Be good. Can't wait to see more MKV action...lol

Very good on the visor. I'm planning on making a ODST helmet the same way as well as an EVA helmet, but I don't have a shop vac or that kind of money...

Well, the initial cost of constructing the vac table if you dont already have a shop vac is around the $100 dollar price range. To me its kind of worth it to get these results. But, if you can come up with a decent buck, I'm sure peeps can help out. I probably can, if you don't find anyone locally. Well, good luck.

Just hit Blackula up for a visor, I tried to make the buck large enough to fit most ODST helmets

Cant wait to get my hands on a visor so I can finish up my cast, Im just glad the buck worked on the first try, now we have somewhat game accurate looking visors for the ODST helmet

Shipped you a package today.

Great job on the Visor BLACKULA727. Your first pull looks really great, nice sharp lines, no warping, really great job. Just another question, are you going to leave the visor clear or are you going to tint them. also if your going to tint the visor what are you going to use to tint them? I would suggest VHT Nite-Shades black lense paint, I used it on my Sean Bradley visor which is also PETG plastic and it works great. Just a suggestion.

Andrew:

P.S. Link to my helmet if you want to see how the visor looks after the Nite-Shades is sprayed on.
http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m540/kenster1000/?action=view&current=1220002038.jpg

Thanks for the link brotha, I definitely know of the night shade, its a good alternative if you don't go the RIT dye method, which don't look now, but..............................................

Update!!

RIT DYE is da dank...lol

2b597f97.jpg

ddff7c36.jpg

a2c41c11.jpg

104b63eb.jpg

59b5cc92.jpg

1958e2e9.jpg

34ec0ed6.jpg

b14f7c54.jpg

& building an army...lol

6eae10f9.jpg

Well, let me know yo!

Keep building 405!

Tony

It's looking epic... just epic! and sorry for the noobtastic question, I just haven't used the stuff yet, so I didn't know haha :p

It's looking epic... just epic! and sorry for the noobtastic question, I just haven't used the stuff yet, so I didn't know haha :p

Thanks for the comment, don't worry about a "noob" question, Next time you see the blue film, you will know what it is, thats how you learn about this stuff so no need to apologize

@Blackula, Looks like your finally gonna get your Puddle Jumper movie going where you will be the lead actor, I mean only actor.......LoL

Awesome looking helmets so far. I'd love to get my hands on one of those... lol. Looks like the start to an amazing army to me. Just one question, How are you installing the visors inside the helmet? Like what is holding them in place?

Andrew:

Dang! Everything looks very nice! I gotta ask though, the shoulders and chest casts, are they heavy? They seem to be like 2-3 inches thick!

Also, do you have a preference on The Night Shade vs the Rit Dye?

And just a question in general I guess. How come no one does a silver/silver-blue visor like the in-game ODST's? Don't worry, I'm not bashing anyone. I personally like the look of the Black visors. But is it because it'd be hard to do or what?

Also, I'm interested in a visor. I'll send a PM. :)

Keep on rocking guys!

Looks killer Tony! I'm with rockr though, have you found any other colors to die the visors? Great work my friend!:)

Thanks man. ALso, don't feel out of place for asking, thats what this forum is for and I too have been a noob and I am still a noob on stuff. You don't see it because I dont post my mistakes...lol. Unless of course, I think it can help others avoid it.

Thanks for the comment, don't worry about a "noob" question, Next time you see the blue film, you will know what it is, thats how you learn about this stuff so no need to apologize

@Blackula, Looks like your finally gonna get your Puddle Jumper movie going where you will be the lead actor, I mean only actor.......LoL

Yeah man, can't wait. HAve you finished the script yet...lol?

Awesome looking helmets so far. I'd love to get my hands on one of those... lol. Looks like the start to an amazing army to me. Just one question, How are you installing the visors inside the helmet? Like what is holding them in place?

Andrew:

Well, thank you and I actually haven't installed it yet. I've got to figure that out, but I'm sure Hyper will figure it out first. I have some ideas though and will add it to my visor tutorial.

Looking awesome. "And Tomorrow we take over the Word" (Pinky and Brain.)

Sounds good, but can you provide the dragons? I think were going to need about 5. Let me know cause you really can't take over the world without dragons (I think its classless without them). :)

Dang! Everything looks very nice! I gotta ask though, the shoulders and chest casts, are they heavy? They seem to be like 2-3 inches thick!

Also, do you have a preference on The Night Shade vs the Rit Dye?

And just a question in general I guess. How come no one does a silver/silver-blue visor like the in-game ODST's? Don't worry, I'm not bashing anyone. I personally like the look of the Black visors. But is it because it'd be hard to do or what?

Also, I'm interested in a visor. I'll send a PM. :)

Keep on rocking guys!

Thanks Taylor, The chest plate and shoulders are pretty light. I don't use 100% 320 for the castings. I'm running chopped fiberglass on the second layer and backing it up with a micro balloons 320 mix layer after that. They just appear to be thick, because I molded all the way around the lip on the model. I wanted it to appear heavy. Yeah man, hit me up on the visor.

Also, to your other question regarding the metallic blue visors....lol, wish I took a picture of some of the others tests I was running yesterday. I've been trying to perfect that with little success. If I can get it to work, I'll definitely show pictures.

Will you guys being doing other colors aside fomr the redish visor?

Lol, I bought a ton of different colors while I was at the grocery store. I'll be running a slew of tests on color variations. Trying to find the right mixes/colors to do the job. SO, in short, hopefully I can give the masses more color options.

Looks killer Tony! I'm with rockr though, have you found any other colors to die the visors? Great work my friend!:)

Lol. Now now, you know me. Also, THat visor was the first ever test dye I've ever done. I'm hoping to add to the options, but I am merely a man with one stove and one pot. If I had two pots, then I would have tried some other colors...lol. Anywhoo, lets hope so.

Thanks guys for all the positive feedback. Keep building all!

Tony

Thanks for the reply man! PM coming your way! And if you ever got a gold visor... I would love you forever! XD

Looks great. Have you tried using window tint. I know it is impossible to apply after a pull, but it might work very well if you apply it before you pull. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back