Props Blacrose's Sniper Rifle W.i.p.

What would be the best finishing paint job?

• Desert Camo (browns)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pink Camo, seriously

• Black and Grey

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
BlacRoseImmortal said:
Aww thanks Eric!

Isnt aluminum really lightweight though? I have an aluminum bicycle and i can lift it with 2 fingers easily.... The weight isnt really a problem for me since I have a comfortable carrying load of 90lbs (When I worked for UPS I found this out) NOT THAT IM GONNA MAKE MY RILFE 90 FREAKIN POUNDS or anything lol.

[...]

You're welcome ;)

Aluminum in of itself is lightweight, but as you add more to a piece it's a given the weight will start to add up. What with your "comfortable" carrying load, though, I don't think that's an issue, lol.

And if I'm not mistaken, the "aluminum tape" that centerside was suggesting is what's commonly referred to as "brushed aluminum vinyl". It gives the appearance of a metal surface, but as he pointed out it isn't really strong.

It is a "peel n' stick" material, after all, and is very low-tack. As in, it's not very sticky, which often leads to regular replacement of it as the adhesive on the back of it isn't strong. I've seen this myself, and needless to say it can be kinda frustrating. Though that may have something to do with the type of painted surfaces I've seen it applied to.

It's generally used for automotive detailing and the like. I've known a number of people in the prop hobby to use it for detailing props, though it wouldn't suit your purposes, considering what you have in mind for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
damn, back to the drawing boards....

I liek the leg idea but again thats gonna be very time consuming and difficult (im an idiot when it comes to common building knowledge).... unless... someone with experience can help me out? maybe someone can fabricate aluminum legs for me and I can build the internal rigs and stuff.... nah, that would just be too easy lol.

damndamndamn, I think my brain just fried.

Now now, don't get discouraged just yet. Sure, the whole "aluminum tape" approach won't work for you, but if the carrying load/weight isn't an issue you could maybe try using thin sheet aluminum for the body of the SR.

As for the support legs, unfortunately I wouldn't be much help in fabricating a pair of those for you, lol. I could probably devise one or two ways to go about it, but as I haven't really had much experience working with metal I wouldn't be able to do any of the hands-on stuff.

If you decide not to apply an aluminum "skin" to your rifle, then I would suggest using thinner PVC piping for the support legs. It's the same material as the barrel, which is clearly what's weighing down the front end of it, so it should be more than able to hold that up.

Just an alternative, if you choose not to go with a full-aluminum piece... :whistle:

Wow... my idea really took off :D

centerside said:
portalman meant you can swing the legs up to move it here and there easier, i think :D
Yep

thin aluminum sheets can be bent pretty easily, but the folds needed for like a the sniper rifle or any other gun/weapon would be tricky....
it would be pretty tricky, if you wanted some bits to "feel" more authentic you could get an aluminum sheet and just cut out pieces to fit the flat sides, then Bondo up the edges so it looks neat and doesn't cut and scratch!

but you know they sell aluminum tape in hardware stores and you could just cut it and put it on the gun afer its resined but I doubt you can bondo it after.
aluminum tape.... interesting, but I'm not sure it would work, or give the desired effect.

Also, if you found an aluminum rod the right size you could use it as base for the barrel....

when you said bicycle i had a brainstorm...modify some kickstands. they already have all the mechanics in place to fold them and lock them out. plus you could cut them to lenght and put some rubber stoppers on the end to even make it closer in-game close...the only thing though is that you'll lose a little accuracy overall

wow thats a great idea tenacious....

but as far as I know the only part of these aluminum bicycles we (my dad seems to bring a new one home nearly every week...) have that arn't aluminum is the pedal-thingamajigger and the kick stand. its steel or somethign of the like... and I dont know how to modify and reshape that... but maybe I can look at the mechanics of the bike kick stand thing and replicate one useing aluminum and that way I can also make it visually correct to "In-Game" specifications.....

wow, whatt the hell did i just say??

i'll have to ponder on this one....

Sports stores that sell rifles might have bipods you could use. A quick search of Cabella's turned up a whole bunch. Not sure how hard it would be to fit one to your rifle, though.

ALL OF YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!! I cant belive all the help I'm getting! this is wonderful, thanks for the link Loess. I'll be reading up and taking meassurments all weekend! Other than that I might go ahead and replace the magazine cradle (inside the rifle) and try and set the barrel (ill be keeping th eweight off the legs with a Y stand to help support the barrel.

Pictures probably wont get posted till I have somethign extraordinary to show :]

Again, I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<33

Look... I didn't want to be the first to come right out and say it but I'm gonna have to be... its obvious this project is a horrible failure...

Just go ahead and ship this one to me and I'll 'fix' it and you can start another one and do it right this time....

PS: Hope everyone sees the sarcasm/joke in that but in case not I've added the explainer here

thats abit harsh to say its failed already....nice rifle though has inspired me to build 1 but not with pep. gonna use metals. keep up the good work..... :D

Obviously you don't know Lee, because right away I picked up the sarcastic undertone of what he was writing. He meant that as a joke, and also as an implied compliment that her work on this project has been great so far.

For someone to say "you know, you should just send that to me and I'll 'fix' it" is a way of saying they really like someone else's work (if you highlight the blackened bar of text at the bottom of his post, you'll see what I mean).

Back on topic, I'm not sure what you'll decide upon BRI, but whatever way you end up going with this I don't doubt it'll be pretty damn kewl :D

i like where this project is going, especially since *gloat* I *brag :p * i guess helped.

nah, this is your doing BRI, good job.

oh, and please, for the love of god, Paint it like in-game colors. no polka dots 4 you. :lol:

HEY GUYS! I just quickly made a crappy little video with my phone (i had no idea I could do that lol) and it SUCKS, the sound it terrible because I forgot that I was talkin away from my phone and the video quality bites and I wasnt quite paying attention where I was pointing the camera lol. But its a short vid showing how/and what Iv'e done for the internal structure ("guts") of my rifle. So yeah, watch it if you want lol. I knwo its sucks so dont hassle me :p

Crappy video

I also mentioned how I had the knobby thing set up, pretty much I have a small metal tube doohickey that a small screw twists into, I glued it once it was in place. There are 3 little washers on the inside to keep it turning smoothly and for spacing purposes (lets just say I messed up and that was the only way I could fix my problem lol). Then I took one of my diet coke cans and cut a rectangle and shaped it to fit over the screw on the inside, it helps push the screw against the body for easy turning without the knobby thign flying all over the place. The aluminum strip also serves as a protective cover for when I fill the body cavity with foam, it wont get all over the screw rig and ....well, screw it (heh, a knee slapper).

EDIT: HOLY HELL I actually just watched the video and now my eyes are bleeding hahahaa. I promis I'll make a MUCH better one next time. omg it's so bad i think i'm gonna cry...

and wow, you cant hear a word i'm saying.....and you cant see what i'm trying to show.... I HATE CELL PHONES!!!!!!!!!

Goosecock is my nickname and yes I do respond to that name. My full nickname is Goosecock Billygoat teh mother effin Barbarian.....

Dont ask, Its just a nickname...

Here's what I got out of it:

"Hey, guys, just realised my phone takes videos. I'm going to show you something. *muffle, muffle* here's a barrel *muffle muffle* magazine *muffled* inverted *muffled some more* hold the magazine *muffle, muffle* It's pretty much--"

End.

Haha... funny video. I wish it could have been better quality though...

The sniper rifle looks great! The video was, honestly, hard to watch. I went back to page 10 and took a look at the pictures, and other than the warping like you mentioned, it is excellent! I can't wait to see the final product. I agree, keep the colors similar to in-game.

A no-picture update:

Ok! Progress is slow but moving!

This weekend I managed to set the barrel, I think I have it just right as far as how long it should be. I filled the front and back parts of the rifle with expanding foam and I kept a close eye on it for 8 hours to make sure there was no overexpanding and it made it through that with no problems (the little bit that did balloon a tadbit is fixable in the Bondo stage). So the barrel is perfectly set in the center and I made sure to have a Y hold on the barrel to make sure the foam set to hold it straight (it sits 6.3inches above the ground all the way from end to end :lol: ). So the last thing I need to do is fill a little bit more of the back end with foam (possibley today after work) and remake the Magazine holster and fill 'er up. So I sould make it to Stage 3 (Bondo) this weekend!1!!!!

@Eric or anyone who knows the answer: You mentioned Primer... does that come before or after the Bondo?...wait........ok, is there ANYTHING I need to do before Bondoing?

polka dots woohooo! hehe just kidding, in-game colors are nice, at least for me, the video to be honest dont have much quality, even when it said "Crappy Video"

But meh, who cares, the sniper is the real topic here hehe, but pictures would be better though....

Heh, when I said crappy video I meant the CRAPPIEST VIDEO EVER! lol. oh and I forgot to mention...

I finally got aroudn to hookin up my old Original Xbox and tossed in Halo 2 so I could get a few reference shots of the SR......

I didnt realize how ....uh......not highly detailed and how freakin different it is than the Halo 3 SR...

So Ive decided that I'll be upgrading as much as I can to fit the Halo 3 Model... So basically im gonna make a mutant H2/H3 love child Sniper Rifle.

Iv'e already taken the liberty of changing the end of the barrel piece (what is is called?) to fit more like the H3 version, but I wont be able to make it look exactly like it since the H2 version has only one "hole" and the H3 has 2 "holes" (look at the reference pics int he gallery to know what im talkin about)... this is gonna look weird in the end but I think I'll be able to pull of some ridiculously remarkable mutations....

does anyone have an opinion about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back