Carpathia's Carter Build (picture heavy!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes it does look really good and yes especially the helmet, BTW my knife that i made (your model) and it is 254 mm how many mm will i need to make your new sheath, in like height, width, or depth or whatever? (i am really bad with pepakura scaling)

Cant' wait to see this finished!:D Do you think you will make it for the release?:)

Edit: 200th post! BOOO JAAA!:D

Well, this weekend and next weekend are both three-day weekends for me, and since all I'm going to do is paint and pad, I should be in good shape. I will be replacing pieces that I'm unhappy with (which is pretty much everything) before I hit any conventions, which may be a while. I've got to focus on grad school right now, so I can't afford to invest a lot of time in this anymore, but I really want to finish it. So keep watching, there should be some progress soon, sorry for the delay.

hey Carp,only want you to know that you inspirated me building my emile(i´ll post a thread soon). BTW congratulations with your armor, you are doing an epic job!.
PD:We wantz updatez lol

Hey Carp i started the new knife sheath and it is perfect size, thanks for the scale :) good luck with the armor

Hey Carp i started the new knife sheath and it is perfect size, thanks for the scale :) good luck with the armor

Glad I could help. As for now, the armor is on hold. Graduate school is way too demanding to allow me to work in it. Though, I was trying to rush a lot of the armor and a few pieces (the thighs, torso and one of the shins) came out pretty bad, not nearly good enough to wear to a launch anyway. If Ruze decides to release his new Reach T-shirts before the middle of next week, I will wear that with my helmet, otherwise, I may or may not just wear my helmet. It would be a shame to let at least that go to waste.

If Ruze decides to release his new Reach T-shirts before the middle of next week, I will wear that with my helmet, otherwise, I may or may not just wear my helmet. It would be a shame to let at least that go to waste.

There's a thread up now in the Classifieds, or you can just email me at ruze789 @ gmail . com

It is too bad you won't finish, this has been one of my very favorite builds to keep an eye on. It's given me a lot of ideas for when I (eventually) get to build a set of Carter myself. I can't wait to see your progress when you get to return to it, but life does have a way of interfering with hobbies.

Was going to let you know via your profile, but you haven't allowed visitor messages or profile email so I couldn't...

Very nice work thus far. I'm interested in seeing how the rest of your Carter comes out. I love the helmet, I'm working on my first Carter now. I'm still in teh resin stage and will head into bondo this week. I'm curious as to how many resin coats you did? And Did you Bondo/Rondo the inside with or without putting on resin?
Also on the exterior, it looks as though you coated everything in a light to medium coat of bondo, then just carved out the details...is that correct? Or did you completly cover the helmet with a thick coat of bondo and THEN carve and sculpt down to the details?
Thank you.
Terrag.

Hey carpathia did you have to do anything special to the foamboard before you rondoed over it (like tape up the edges)? Someone was saying that the heat from resin (and bondo too I guess) melts the foam. I'm not sure if this is true or if it even matters once the piece has been resined on the outside, but since you've already rondoed over foamboard I figured you would know

let me know

Very nice work thus far. I'm interested in seeing how the rest of your Carter comes out. I love the helmet, I'm working on my first Carter now. I'm still in teh resin stage and will head into bondo this week. I'm curious as to how many resin coats you did? And Did you Bondo/Rondo the inside with or without putting on resin?
Also on the exterior, it looks as though you coated everything in a light to medium coat of bondo, then just carved out the details...is that correct? Or did you completly cover the helmet with a thick coat of bondo and THEN carve and sculpt down to the details?
Thank you.
Terrag.

Actually, there is very little bondo on the exterior of the helmet. To get the effect I have, I applied one coat of resin on the outside, then rondoed the inside. I then carved out what needed to be carved. While doing this, I would occasionally puncture through the helmet, so I taped over the hole and added another batch of rondo on the inside to patch up the hole, then went back to carving.

Hey carpathia did you have to do anything special to the foamboard before you rondoed over it (like tape up the edges)? Someone was saying that the heat from resin (and bondo too I guess) melts the foam. I'm not sure if this is true or if it even matters once the piece has been resined on the outside, but since you've already rondoed over foamboard I figured you would know

let me know

I didn't have to prepare the foamcore at all. Yes, the resin eats away at the foam in the center of the board, but not as much as you might think. Rondo, on the other hand, didn't have much of an effect on it at all. I can't imagine that bondo would have any effect either.

WOW. This is looking great! You can really tell you've put A LOT of effort into it. Congrats! Can't wait to see it all completed. You've inspired me towards my own carter build....drool!

I might have missed it, although I believe I scanned pretty thoroughly, but looking through pepakura files around the site I can only find a few actually named as Carter armor pieces. So I was just wondering what did you use for the others like the boots, shins, gauntlets (minus the forearm attachment), and chest even. Did you use the Spartan III pieces that I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that Rundown made?

I might have missed it, although I believe I scanned pretty thoroughly, but looking through pepakura files around the site I can only find a few actually named as Carter armor pieces. So I was just wondering what did you use for the others like the boots, shins, gauntlets (minus the forearm attachment), and chest even. Did you use the Spartan III pieces that I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that Rundown made?

You are right for the most part. All the spartans in Reach wear the same base armor (biceps, forearms, thighs, shins, belt, boots and chest [with the exception of Jorge and some differences in Cat]). They simply have their custom parts attached over top these base armor parts. Most of the base armor was Rundown's. The one's that were not are the forearm, made by SJSUSPARTAN, the first chest piece made by L3X BLU3R1V3R, and the boots made by Ruze789. Interestingly enough, all the custom Carter attachments (excluding the helmet itself) used here were made by me, though I will be replacing my custom right shoulder with Ruze's in the near future.

Very awesome. Thanks for that. I had thought thats how the armor was but never saw it actually stated anywhere untill now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back