Props CNC'ed halo reach rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Link, how's the grip feel with that extra 0.500'' width? Still able to grip it and reach the trigger comfortably?

it feels good

Lol, thanks for the response Link no matter how short, I know you're a busy man.;)

Speaking of which I hope you're taking a bit of a break from joint projects after this, I want to see you get back into your grenade launcher!:D

holy crap this is awesome. im trying to make one out of wood. this makes what im building look like nothing. it'll be cool to see finished.

Excellent work, from start to finish. CNC seems the way for some stuff especially in the weapon department. Thanks for inspiring some of us!

Epic work! Looks very precisely cut.
If I may, could I ask one or two questions? I have open access to several industry standard CNC and Rapid prototyping machines too you see :)
What CAD program do you use and with what filetype? Also, which file did you use for this, the halo reach AR pep file?
I have been using SolidEdge and have tried to convert an .obj to an .stl several times, but they keep coming up ridiculously small in SE and I am unable to extrapolate them to the correct size :( So any help would be awesome :) If it's easier, a PM would be cool as well.

Anyway, great work yet again!

- X.

I do some consulting work for a local shop that has a few "large" CNC machines so also looking for this kind of info so that I can sound a some what intelligent when I go in to them and start to ask about using their machine for some side projects.

This is awesome man i want a cnc machine

Hey are there any tutorials that explain how the cnc machine works

CNC Question

I've seen some 3D printers and heard a bit about CNC machines but my question is whether or not we can attempt to make Halo armor using DIY projects like the RepRap.

http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

If the 405th can get a few of these on a large enough scale, we might be able to make our props for cheap. I'm thinking that the RepRap project could use a team like us to give it a boost. If we can get enough people involved in making RepRap printers and parts, we can share them with other members of our own forum. These RepRaps are self replicating by the way, so all it really takes is a single member to make one and simply share with others.

However, I feel I should warn you about their views on copy-written models. They seem to take an extreme view of them on their pages, even banned things like clone trooper helmets. Before anyone gets started makes a RepRap helmet or prop I feel that we should inform them that we are covered under Microsoft and Bungie's fan policies. As I remember, we can make things for ourselves and our community but we are not allowed to manufacture and mass produce.

Anyway, let me know what you think of this plan. I need a summer project to work on and this was one of my ideas. If you think that it might be possible, let me know so I can get to work.

-Thanks

PS awesome thread, love the AR.

I am currently building a RepRap Huxley and have looked into creating miniatures of models created by 405th members. As for creating large scale items for costumes I would not think it a viable medium due to the amount of ABS neeed and having seen what the machine produces the amount of post-creation cleanup you would have to do would just be easier to pep/glass an item. Also the self replicating part of this machine is a half truth. Sure you can make all the braces and brackets but thats the cheap stuff. The money comes in for the stepper motors and bearings and threaded/non-threaded rods, etc. The end result is, as we all know, anything IS possible so just my take on it means nothing of course. So far with just a miniature reprap I am in $600 so obviously as you scale up the size you scale up the cost. Of course if you start this and need parts made hit me up and I am sure we can work out a exchange system of some sorts in PM.

Could you CNC one out of a hard wax then use wax sand molding to pour metal in to have a metal version? Just a thought. I figure the heat created from the bit of the CNC machine would probably screw up the detail but I'm not sure on that. Other than that I'm not sure if there is any legal hoops to jump through before you make a scale metal replica of a gun. Either way great work and keep it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back