Time to get more up to date on what I've been working on!!
Here's some tacpad progress. This is an older photo, and since then I've repainted the tacpad at least 3 times to see what color scheme I like.
I used some sturdy chipboard on the underneath to help the foam keep the right shape, and I glued foil to the inside to possibly enhance some of the glow overall.
View attachment 310575
I used hot glue to place the lights in the correct areas.
View attachment 310576
This tacpad may be remade in the future, it's a little wonky in some places, but it's not bad enough to scrap yet lol.
This is not the final paint job for either of these pieces.
View attachment 310577
On the underneath I cut out a little door, scored where it bends, and added a little foam handle so I can get inside to turn the lights on and off.
View attachment 310578
Now for some helmet progress!
I used armorsmith to size a pep file, made a paper mockup (not pictured), and once it looked like the right size I got to work. I used the pep file as a base pattern, and altered and freehanded it where needed while converting it to foam.
View attachment 310579
Showing the ridiculous size of some pieces.
View attachment 310580
I used many different thicknesses of foam, and I wanna be clear that I'm almost fully switching over to sks props foam when I run out of older stuff. I've yet to use something else I like as much. I don't think they carry every size I need, but I'll definitely be getting what I can from them.
View attachment 310581
So for the backside and neck hole of the helmet, I used eva foam, barge cement, and my undersuit fabric. My first plan was to have the back side detachable, but it seems like I can get my head in just fine if I only make the under chin area detachable. I praaayyy that this helmet will be the right size once everything is done, but it's hard to fully tell right now. Also fun fact, I didn't realize the base helmet has a different little visor area when used with the UA attachment, so I'll either be ignoring that or altering it sometime in the future when I care enough.
A back piece on the backside of the fabric so I can know where to cut.
View attachment 310582
View attachment 310583
My tools of choice: silicone brushes to spread barge cement, silver marker to mark fabric, scissors to trim fabric, barge in a bottle to spread easily and somewhat minimize fumes (definitely still wear a respirator in a well ventilated area please), and a couple dental tools to get fabric glued into tiny detail areas.
View attachment 310584
And the mostly finished helmet! This is an old old visor color test from a Kat helmet, not the final visor.
View attachment 310585
View attachment 310586
The backside won't be attached until I get around to sealing and painting the rest of it, so it's just roughly taped in there. I also need to paint a couple areas for detailing on the back, and maybe touch up with some black paint to cover any tiny exposed foam areas.
View attachment 310587
View attachment 310588
That's it for now! I do have some undersuit progress to share soon, but I'd like to get a little further on it before writing it up. Happy building everyone