Status
Not open for further replies.
This just gave me an idea on how to do the tactical vest on my Landfall ODST build. Thank you for sharing!!!

I'm glad I have this saved. I will need to reference it when I start my build for next year. Crazy good job mate.
Thank you so much! I hope it will help you along with your build!

That looks so clean, i might tackle a reach set after im done with my odst set that looks amazing so far
Thank you! :D

So much awesome progress! You helped give me some ideas for my own stuff. But, just WOW. I can't wait!
Ahh thank you so much!!! I'm so glad this was helpful to you!!

Awesome stuff! The undersuit is amazing. Do you happen to have a link to the Yaya Han material you are using?
Thank you!!! I've found something that may be it on the Joann website, but they have a few choices that have similar names so it may be easier to find it just going to the store. It's rubbery and stretchy and matte, and I think is one of the better quality ones.

Those are some really nice detailing work you got there
Thank you!! :D

Hey everyone!! It's time for a very overdue update! After all these months you've probably assumed correctly that I didn't finish my suit in time for Orlando Outpost. There were just not enough hours in the day to do what I wanted with it. After Outpost (which was so fun even without a suit) I took a much needed break from building. For about a month and a half now I've been back into building, and have made teensy progress on this suit and have been happily working on other projects of mine. I think I would've updated here a long time ago if I actually had a decently accessible computer, but my stuff is crap right now so it's hard to even remember I have the option of using a computer and updating.

I do wanna let you guys know I definitely have not given up on this build, this build is a dream of mine and now that I'm not putting crazy pressure on myself I'm feeling really great about taking my time on it, and actually getting to enjoy normal life and other projects in the midst of it :p There's probably a little bit from towards the end of July that I didn't share here that I did build, but I'll add that into a future update. After taking the break from building I realized just how much more work I had left on this build. Here's everything I can think of just off the top of my head:
Build the helmet +attachments
Finish undersuit torso details and reattach all of it in a different way
Finish patterning undersuit leg details and then craft them + cover in fabric
Pattern and craft arm undersuit areas
Make robot arm
Make chest attachments
Finish/remake cod piece
Remake thighs
Make knees
Pretty much seal and paint everything
Just friggin everything help me

I'd like to say I can get everything done in a few months, and I could if I wanted to destroy myself again, but realistically I have no idea when I'll be done and I'm getting to be okay with that. Stuff takes time. My first suit took what felt like forever and I still loved it in the end. I know that I can do a great job with this if I just let my artistic ability and inspiration lead the way instead of forcing myself to work on it when I'd rather work on something else. I'm not the type that can only have one project lol. I gots to work on what I want when I want. These last couple days I've been dreaming of making Kelly from Halo 5, I think it'd be so fun to have a Blue team for Dragoncon 2020 (hmu if you may be interested in doing chief or linda, I love group cosplays so much), I've also always wanted to tackle the H5 undersuit.
I feel as if I'm rambling because it's been so long between updates I'm not even sure what to update on lol. I'll cut myself off here and just say
thank you all so much for the support, and I'll be sure to update when I have something substantial to show!!! :D

You’re doing great! I’m still struggling with my Reach build (and also consequently missed for Outpost ) but am now taking the time to make sure it’s great! Your build is definitely inspiring new additions and commitment to quality in mine. Keep at it! Slow progress is progress and it’ll be great!

Idk how I missed this update, but I'm dropping this comment to ensure I see the next one :)

I'm going to be making a reach undersuit soon, probably using a hybrid between your method and Blair's Eva method.

Looking forward to seeing your progress updates :)

This may be my favourite builds and is making me think about heading back to the workshop, after I get my present (non-Halo) project done.

That ab section is absolutely sick!

I wouldn't worry about how long it takes. You are doing fantastic work and it would be a shame if you made it more about the work than the fun of then build. Im excited to watch the rest of the build.

Guys! I'm back! It's apparently been 2 years since my last update. Makes sense. A lot has happened (to the whole world), I didn't have a crafting space, my husband and I bought a house in December of 2019 and spent most of 2020 fixing it up, moved in September 2020 and finally I finished painting and setting up my craft room early this year. Once I had a work space again I pretty quickly got back to work on this project! I think I'll do a few separate posts to help myself sort through what all I've done this year.

Lets start with some freehanded robot arm action
I fully freehanded this arm, referencing mostly Halo:Reach theater mode, as well as other cosplayers versions, statues of Kat, and anything I could find. I use a variety of foam thicknesses in my builds, 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 10mm. This piece made use of some foam dowels I believe I got from tntcosplay supplies. I also started using sksprops foam during this after trying out a blaster build with it, and I LOVE IT. I've never seen foam that sands this well, it's a game changer. I also wanna mention I tried SO hard to incorporate electronics into this, I wanted to make part of the elbow plate spin like in the game, but I searched for days online and could not find a small enough motor that didn't go insanely fast. I'm not super upset about it but I think it would've been cool.

Scattered and possibly unhelpful progress pics.
Top of the forearm basic shape.
p1wX3TO5IrYwnwzIFej8egDM4Q=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

Basic shape of underneath of forearm.
VoG8lqQ5RSdXeNurKPqFSn7rYA=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

Underside of forearm, detailed with foam dowels.
Yew6oAbwfS4n_jKDB6JJFepDUg=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

This is the first piece of the upper arm, a small simple shape I could get my head around and build off of.
UGuXwwl7hzHumXzEnUBnGeIgEg=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

Taped to a scrap piece for thickness, so I can use tracing paper draped along the edges for an angled pattern.
-o2C4aHb-Ge5ojK9-HJv8_F5aw=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

Tracing paper pinned at an angle, with a dart cut in it towards the top. Then I roughly drew out the pattern.
mbOn7IXzE17CdOHYC5nrzu_GgA=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

The final pattern piece.
C06iNoDV7w1oi4f1Y7PPn7QFbw=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

I think I used 5 or 6 mm foam for this, and beveled the outer edge so that it would be more of a straight cut/edge once the whole piece was curved. Hopefully that makes sense to anyone else.
0dsZdjOkBWY0pxwnyn8A13qz9A=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

Tracing paper draped and taped into position on my (new) duct tape mannequin.
SlKMboq3NUwDPCYT9gKZnSfqDA=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

Very rough idea of the shapes I needed
wpOO2jnhl-9bxjFJhaU7phzJLA=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

jrn5TWTyhVJk85LyU1jIB4VSYg=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

This is the raw pattern right off the mannequin.
IfL98NAiR6Xo1IC9IdSq3dheg=w1258-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

The refined pattern, with some things moved around to organize future foam seams where I want them.
zd_qOzwjc6JEEj1VMoXtl7P8A=w1258-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

Now cut from sksprops 6mm foam.
KMiOLYWO7-llxZxm7sud1tAKXg=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

7qWokBJ--rGUQcL0UjOcpDAsvA=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

The finished product after detailing, with a black worbla hand piece I made a while ago (not sure if final). I reinforced the shoulder mount area with a wire and black worbla, and may do more to add strength in the future.
iLQ5AohM4dra5P3GUiTEETaiDw=w834-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

iQAKUYdpuk-RcTKmpyoHMH0cow=w854-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

4VSuJ8PsR5611FPy-9yrVImL-g=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

dyKQTH7HmLYY7TS5Q2z0-uRvhw=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

GE6tLUH28NJX0L8od2-cXLr17w=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

I may go in and shave off some foam in the inside of the forearm, its a little too tight. I'm very very happy with how this turned out :D and I'm excited to add some relevant undersuit detailing around it and see how I can mount different pieces of it to hold shape while moving my arm.

That's it for this post! Hopefully I don't get punished for posting on a dead thread, but it's not dead! I just needed time, lol! As always, thank you all for your kind words and support. I felt a little weird trying to reply to 2 year old comments on here, seems a little late to show up on my part :lol:, so I might not. But please please comment if you have any questions or comments. I absolutely love this community and will do whatever I can to help. I'm very excited to have things going again, I have more I'll be posting soon that I did a couple months back. I've been at a stand still for a little over a month due to health stuff, but trust me when I say I will not be done with this build until it's DONE, no matter what time passes I will always come back to it.
Thanks for checking out this ancient build thread!

Welcome back! So great to have your foamsmithing magic back! I really look forward to seeing what else you do! That robot arm is killer! Your cuts are so crazy clean, any tips you'd like to share for such clean edges?

Welcome back! So great to have your foamsmithing magic back! I really look forward to seeing what else you do! That robot arm is killer! Your cuts are so crazy clean, any tips you'd like to share for such clean edges?
Thank you so much!!! I personally love using an exacto knife, I use z-series blades (which used to be much sharper before they changed makers ), and I go slowly and think about each cut that needs made and what angle I want it at. And now that I've tried sks foam I love having the option of sanding if a cut doesn't go so smoothly

You are killing it KitKat! Love your work and even more so cause you share your progress! Glad to have you in the South. Can't wait to see this live!
So glad to be here! Thank you!!! Looking forward to the day this whole thing is wearable, even though it'll be unbearably hot and I will need a team of people to keep me alive :lol:

Time to get more up to date on what I've been working on!!

Here's some tacpad progress. This is an older photo, and since then I've repainted the tacpad at least 3 times to see what color scheme I like.
I used some sturdy chipboard on the underneath to help the foam keep the right shape, and I glued foil to the inside to possibly enhance some of the glow overall.
KoKkUHh_dte8QQu0qu3Dw7KgA=w1258-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

I used hot glue to place the lights in the correct areas.

IEbWAOrTgdm1eD5VgXpQNFnHw=w1258-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

This tacpad may be remade in the future, it's a little wonky in some places, but it's not bad enough to scrap yet lol.
This is not the final paint job for either of these pieces.
rF5854ukInWt3ksgg3YSG68NA=w1258-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

On the underneath I cut out a little door, scored where it bends, and added a little foam handle so I can get inside to turn the lights on and off.
O6QQzFgtpTs739XWebKcrgGCLg=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

Now for some helmet progress!
I used armorsmith to size a pep file, made a paper mockup (not pictured), and once it looked like the right size I got to work. I used the pep file as a base pattern, and altered and freehanded it where needed while converting it to foam.
clVq-CkxRX68gPJ6_f0LUl-Yhw=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

Showing the ridiculous size of some pieces.
TzbC2V-78IGA_QB-OlKUQ_fScw=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

I used many different thicknesses of foam, and I wanna be clear that I'm almost fully switching over to sks props foam when I run out of older stuff. I've yet to use something else I like as much. I don't think they carry every size I need, but I'll definitely be getting what I can from them.
iWMUYVw9KczHBCjmi7Oux_VS-A=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

So for the backside and neck hole of the helmet, I used eva foam, barge cement, and my undersuit fabric. My first plan was to have the back side detachable, but it seems like I can get my head in just fine if I only make the under chin area detachable. I praaayyy that this helmet will be the right size once everything is done, but it's hard to fully tell right now. Also fun fact, I didn't realize the base helmet has a different little visor area when used with the UA attachment, so I'll either be ignoring that or altering it sometime in the future when I care enough.

A back piece on the backside of the fabric so I can know where to cut.
22zJz1fgSjpxLa7EsRYzLJLtg=w1258-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

veqOIpOXneGookFAlBjUhSp5-w=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

My tools of choice: silicone brushes to spread barge cement, silver marker to mark fabric, scissors to trim fabric, barge in a bottle to spread easily and somewhat minimize fumes (definitely still wear a respirator in a well ventilated area please), and a couple dental tools to get fabric glued into tiny detail areas.
k0C8xKJXQpM0KwzD5ZeV1Bu-GQ=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

And the mostly finished helmet! This is an old old visor color test from a Kat helmet, not the final visor.
mx-1t_yQU6IsQrXg64mkJR2LxQ=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

Hbkpiax3JuNvt0385yl4fY26Ng=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

The backside won't be attached until I get around to sealing and painting the rest of it, so it's just roughly taped in there. I also need to paint a couple areas for detailing on the back, and maybe touch up with some black paint to cover any tiny exposed foam areas.
kHiDu-Vgf55gVEZzXh50RiFF4Q=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

QNSygD8mr8kg9SIuLMDhz2A0sA=w708-h943-no?authuser=1.jpg

That's it for now! I do have some undersuit progress to share soon, but I'd like to get a little further on it before writing it up. Happy building everyone :D

Time to get more up to date on what I've been working on!!

Here's some tacpad progress. This is an older photo, and since then I've repainted the tacpad at least 3 times to see what color scheme I like.
I used some sturdy chipboard on the underneath to help the foam keep the right shape, and I glued foil to the inside to possibly enhance some of the glow overall.
View attachment 310575

I used hot glue to place the lights in the correct areas.

View attachment 310576

This tacpad may be remade in the future, it's a little wonky in some places, but it's not bad enough to scrap yet lol.
This is not the final paint job for either of these pieces.
View attachment 310577

On the underneath I cut out a little door, scored where it bends, and added a little foam handle so I can get inside to turn the lights on and off.
View attachment 310578

Now for some helmet progress!
I used armorsmith to size a pep file, made a paper mockup (not pictured), and once it looked like the right size I got to work. I used the pep file as a base pattern, and altered and freehanded it where needed while converting it to foam.
View attachment 310579

Showing the ridiculous size of some pieces.
View attachment 310580

I used many different thicknesses of foam, and I wanna be clear that I'm almost fully switching over to sks props foam when I run out of older stuff. I've yet to use something else I like as much. I don't think they carry every size I need, but I'll definitely be getting what I can from them.
View attachment 310581

So for the backside and neck hole of the helmet, I used eva foam, barge cement, and my undersuit fabric. My first plan was to have the back side detachable, but it seems like I can get my head in just fine if I only make the under chin area detachable. I praaayyy that this helmet will be the right size once everything is done, but it's hard to fully tell right now. Also fun fact, I didn't realize the base helmet has a different little visor area when used with the UA attachment, so I'll either be ignoring that or altering it sometime in the future when I care enough.

A back piece on the backside of the fabric so I can know where to cut.
View attachment 310582
View attachment 310583

My tools of choice: silicone brushes to spread barge cement, silver marker to mark fabric, scissors to trim fabric, barge in a bottle to spread easily and somewhat minimize fumes (definitely still wear a respirator in a well ventilated area please), and a couple dental tools to get fabric glued into tiny detail areas.
View attachment 310584

And the mostly finished helmet! This is an old old visor color test from a Kat helmet, not the final visor.
View attachment 310585
View attachment 310586

The backside won't be attached until I get around to sealing and painting the rest of it, so it's just roughly taped in there. I also need to paint a couple areas for detailing on the back, and maybe touch up with some black paint to cover any tiny exposed foam areas.
View attachment 310587
View attachment 310588

That's it for now! I do have some undersuit progress to share soon, but I'd like to get a little further on it before writing it up. Happy building everyone :D
i have been watching this build and think it is awesome you inspired me to want to build my own reach armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back