First Halo MK VI custom Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYzilla

first time builder. This is very slow process taking my time. Can't wait to start fiberglass the outside when Im done.

IMG_19691_zpsf801fdfc.jpg

IMG_19731_zpsbb27b10e.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_19691_zpsf801fdfc.jpg
    IMG_19691_zpsf801fdfc.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_19731_zpsbb27b10e.jpg
    IMG_19731_zpsbb27b10e.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 128
We fiberglass the inside, and bondo the outside. :)

Can't wait to see more!

doing fiberglass outside because Im living town and want it to keep it shape.....talked to a few people on here about it and they agreed
when i get back im putting rondo on the inside and bondo the outside.

doing fiberglass outside because Im living town and want it to keep it shape.....talked to a few people on here about it and they agreed

By using fiberglass on the outside, you lose all the detail that the pep provides. Glassing the inside will be just as strong as it would be if you glass the outside. I HIGHLY recommend that you DO NOT glass the outside, unless you are willing to put hundreds of hours of work into bondo and body work on the suit to bring back all the details. Unless you mean that you will be doing the fiberglass process outside as in the back yard (outside of your home) then in that case yes, do the fiberglass process outside. But if you intend on glassing the outside of the pieces, again I HIGHLY suggest you glass the inside of the pieces.

As for the rondo method. It is a very easy method but it greatly increases the weight of each piece, use it sparingly. Some people have glassed the inside and the run a thin layer of rondo over the fiberglass to give it another layer of strength and to cover up the fiberglass.

Good luck on your build!

By using fiberglass on the outside, you lose all the detail that the pep provides. Glassing the inside will be just as strong as it would be if you glass the outside. I HIGHLY recommend that you DO NOT glass the outside, unless you are willing to put hundreds of hours of work into bondo and body work on the suit to bring back all the details. Unless you mean that you will be doing the fiberglass process outside as in the back yard (outside of your home) then in that case yes, do the fiberglass process outside. But if you intend on glassing the outside of the pieces, again I HIGHLY suggest you glass the inside of the pieces.

As for the rondo method. It is a very easy method but it greatly increases the weight of each piece, use it sparingly. Some people have glassed the inside and the run a thin layer of rondo over the fiberglass to give it another layer of strength and to cover up the fiberglass.

Good luck on your build!

thanks for the information

I think you're confusing fiberglass with fiberglass resin (or polyester resin). When you say you're going to fiberglass the outside, we assume that you are going to apply fiberglass cloth to the exterior of the helmet (which is a big no-no); when, most likely, you mean that you're going to apply a coat of fiberglass resin to the outside.

FLYzilla- good work on your first pepakura build!

Good news- I see your using an xacto knife ( I hope your using that to cut the paper and fold it! )
* You have the basic technique down, but you got to make sure what is Mountain folds and Valley Folds.
Bad news- Some of the stuff your talking about popping out in the video ( You need to use hot glue to hold the paper together ) But I think some of your folds might be backwards. (Such as what should be a Valley fold.. you have a mountain fold ... which makes it mess up or look strange.

*Hard parts for me... The small tight areas are the most difficult ( tiny pieces and lots of numbers on it...) Try your best to take your time and look at which direction the fold is suppose to go! ALSO REFER BACK TO the Computer version!! It shows it already built! Use that to compare to yours!

I live 3 hours from Memphis funny stuff =D anyways keep up the hard work... also If you want to see progress ( start with the hand plates ) do 2 layers of Foam. This will give you some excitement to keep going :) Don't let your first attempt get you down! Because my first attempt was the helmet too.. I'll show you mine and then my second attempt after some 405th members like Carpathia above helped me :) So keep getting good advice and your be awesome before you know it!!

newandimprove.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My first helmet was a total disaster! I added to much bondo to the outside! Try your best to RONDO the inside the best you can ( Try to keep the shape of the helmet!!) Bondo should only be put on the outside for Pop out places, or errors..

I really hope you do good :) I know kids love it, so I'm really hoping you make them happy =D its alot of work! Just keep with it.

P.S. I noticed your using a FAT glue gun... The FAT hot glue sticks.. I use the Mini glue sticks and mini glue gun-- it seems to be better at what your doing... it doesn't put to much glue out... I bet you have burnt your fingers xD try a mini glue gun =D

I think you're confusing fiberglass with fiberglass resin (or polyester resin). When you say you're going to fiberglass the outside, we assume that you are going to apply fiberglass cloth to the exterior of the helmet (which is a big no-no); when, most likely, you mean that you're going to apply a coat of fiberglass resin to the outside.

yes Carpathia thats what i meant

FLYzilla- good work on your first pepakura build!

Good news- I see your using an xacto knife ( I hope your using that to cut the paper and fold it! )
* You have the basic technique down, but you got to make sure what is Mountain folds and Valley Folds.
Bad news- Some of the stuff your talking about popping out in the video ( You need to use hot glue to hold the paper together ) But I think some of your folds might be backwards. (Such as what should be a Valley fold.. you have a mountain fold ... which makes it mess up or look strange.

*Hard parts for me... The small tight areas are the most difficult ( tiny pieces and lots of numbers on it...) Try your best to take your time and look at which direction the fold is suppose to go! ALSO REFER BACK TO the Computer version!! It shows it already built! Use that to compare to yours!

I live 3 hours from Memphis funny stuff =D anyways keep up the hard work... also If you want to see progress ( start with the hand plates ) do 2 layers of Foam. This will give you some excitement to keep going :) Don't let your first attempt get you down! Because my first attempt was the helmet too.. I'll show you mine and then my second attempt after some 405th members like Carpathia above helped me :) So keep getting good advice and your be awesome before you know it!!

newandimprove.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My first helmet was a total disaster! I added to much bondo to the outside! Try your best to RONDO the inside the best you can ( Try to keep the shape of the helmet!!) Bondo should only be put on the outside for Pop out places, or errors..

I really hope you do good :) I know kids love it, so I'm really hoping you make them happy =D its alot of work! Just keep with it.

P.S. I noticed your using a FAT glue gun... The FAT hot glue sticks.. I use the Mini glue sticks and mini glue gun-- it seems to be better at what your doing... it doesn't put to much glue out... I bet you have burnt your fingers xD try a mini glue gun =D

thanks the glue is almost as old as I am and Im 40.....fingers burnt oh yes and it hurts. kids come home monday so they get to see the progress.

I've done a bucket load of pepping armours, and I find using white PVA glue (or craft glue) sticks the 200gsm card that I use for pepping really well. No burns, and it comes off of you as easily as rubbing your fingers together.

I have also done a fair bit of pepwork, and I have to agree with Kirimae that glue sticks work really well. I personaily use Elmer's school glue sticks, due to the fact that they were so easy to find. If you live in the US you can buy a pack of 30 for like $15. The only downside to them is that they take longer that hot glue to dry, but you can glue pieces more accurately together.

I've done a bucket load of pepping armours, and I find using white PVA glue (or craft glue) sticks the 200gsm card that I use for pepping really well. No burns, and it comes off of you as easily as rubbing your fingers together.

Iv recently done this in my pep section and it is pretty decent -

tho iv found its best to have a tube of decent superglue gel on hand for the delicate/fiddly parts or any tabs that are under strain as pva takes an age to dry.

1 tube of locktite Superglue gel should last a fair few pieces of armour if you save it for when needed, or will do 1 or 2 full pieces if used on its own (depending what piece ur doing 1 tube will do both legs for example, or 2 bracers but my chest and Recon helmet took 2 tubes each, but thats all i used to hold them together.)

On the up side if u dont mind the price - superglue gives a great clean build and no mess, and iv found the parts that iv made wirh just that and 200gsm card are a fair bit stronger than the same bits with other glues. And less hassle.

I would like to offer my advice as I have been doing this for 4 years now and have learned A LOT! :p

First off, NoGood has given some good advice about folding. Take heed. :p Since we are on the subject of folding, you will notice there are TWO DIFFERENT types of lines and look like this:

---------- = Mountain Fold
_._._._._._ = Valley Fold

Those lines are VERY important to follw when building.

Untitled-3.png

Also, when it comes to glueing, I personally prefer using glue sticks since they do NOT set right away and it allows more "play time" to slide the glue tab in place and make sure that it is lined up just right. Just apply a thin, even coat. You might have to hold it in place for a very short time and it may seem tedious, but it will all be worth it in the end when you have a nice finished piece. :)

Also, I hope you are using 110lb cardstock paper and NOT regular paper. It's hard to tell in your images, but it almost looks like standard printer paper, which is a no-no. >_<

And last but not least, in your video, the part where you were talking about the visor and how you cut it out anyways, (I don't know what model you used for the helmet), but it looks like you may have cut out the glue tabs? Check those numbers and see if they are matching numbers. If they are, then you may have accidently cut out the glue tabs. OOPS! lol Remember, you need those little tabs to apply the glue to. :p

EDIT: Okay, I think I may have located the helmet file you used and if I am correct, then yes, you DID accidently cut away the glue tabs on the visor part. Also in your video (after reviewing it again) I can't really even see any folding lines on your helmet. Not sure if it's because of the resolution and it's just not showing the lines or if the lines mostly are not even there! D:

Attachments

• Untitled-3.png
    Untitled-3.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 145
Well I'll be damned, I never actually noticed that before in all my years of pepping. Could be because I tend to go over my fold lines in pen (rather than scoring it and weakening the integrity of the paper) so I completely miss out on seeing that. Might have to revise what I do!

Well I'll be damned, I never actually noticed that before in all my years of pepping. Could be because I tend to go over my fold lines in pen (rather than scoring it and weakening the integrity of the paper) so I completely miss out on seeing that. Might have to revise what I do!
That's why i use to pens of different colour and I also change the colour of the lines before I print them, red for valley black for mountain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back