First Project: ODST Helmet and Halo 1 Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minigunner

Ok so i just started this fun project and so far it is going good i have the clip and about half the grip + the front sight of the pistol done and i just printed out the helmet tonight and all i have is the visor done.... well almost done. I am planing on making a full suit of armor but just this to start with. I do have one question that i could use so help on, what should I use to glue the tabs of the card stock together? So far I have been using super glue but this works some times and not others. I am looking for something that can dry fast!
This is my first project so any comments that you may have will help.
Pics coming soon!

I find that hot glue works the best. It dries fast, holds well and is relatively cheap. The only downside is all the funny little strings but those can be cleaned off pretty easily.

i read super glue is a good idea for it just have to be carefull you dont glue your self to your work lol i plan to go that way my self when i hopefull start pep in few days ill do topic with pics and let every one know how its gose hope yours turns out good

Thanks for the tips but doesn't hot glue make the lumps in the pep? Oh and I had the glue my self to the paper prob too.... the poor pistol sight... yah

I use what is called Tacky glue. I dries quick, but not as fast as hot glue. One HUGE problem I have with hot glue is if you apply the glue, then drop the piece, you run the risk of it cooling off faster than you can place it. Then you have to reheat the glue to melt it, or peel it off and take about half the paper with it. It works great if you have a lot of experience with it, but if you are a novice with it, I highly recommend the Tacky glue. It is more forgiving than the hot glue and dries almost as quick. You can get it at any Wal Mart in the craft department.

Also, if you try it out, be sure to just apply enough glue to cover the tab in a very thin coat. Then place to two pieces together and use a circular motion to spread the glue evenly. This will make the super tacky too (lives up to its name). When it dries, it is quite strong.

Hope this helps you and good luck. Can't wait to see you project. :)

PS- and yes, hot glue will make lumps if you don't get your pieces together fast enough.

Dude thank you so much tmccarty23 tacky glue is the bomb i started using it tonight and it worked like a charm.
Pics are coming i swear but with college and work i have been really busy.

I just want to say to any body that has looked at this tread and said to them self's this is a crappy one, I'm sorry. I have been really busy with starting college and trying to balance it with work, I have had little to no free time. I will say that i have the ODST Helmet about half way through the pep and the pistol has not been touched in a while but there will be more very soon.
Oh and as a discussion point don't you hate it when you have a piece of the pep just a little off so you have to go back and cut that off. Had to do that with the top right side of the helmet. ARRRHHHHGG! So frustrating!

No need to apologize. You work on your project at your speed, when you have updated you have updates. No worry!

hey man the odst helmet look spretty good so far and to get photobucket to work is on photobucket you enlarge the picture you want to post, right click the picture, hit copy, then open the tab for the 405th and click reply to thread, then right click and hit paste and the picture should come right up, hope this helped and good luck :)

Hey can any body tell me were the image or tool is that lets you say how much of your armor is done? not that i am close to done but for future note. Thanks

first find your image right click it and copy the photo URL then in your post go to the top and click Insert image then paste the image url there. great build so far

So I have also been wondering what you guys use for glue and I looked around. Sadly, I can't seem to find any place in Canada that sells Tacky Glue. I've been using just plain old white glue and letting it dry for a couple hours before gluing all the parts together. Do you think it will be able to hold resin with white glue? Oh and Mini, your build is coming along nice, the pep looks clean - great work so far!

Hotglue, sitck glue, tacky glue, super glue just about everything that's sticky. Though don't use tape. Tape doesn't like resin very much...

looks good a lil warpage but nothing bondo cant fix and you see that weird shaped piece on the ear piece thats supposed to go in not out like so
odst11.jpg

IS THAT A FLYING ODST HELMET?!?

Looking good so far, depending on the type of glue you used, that's fixable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back