Foam or pep??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODST TJ92

Which one is easier? Foam or paper? Is it faster to use foam? And how about the result? Foam looks better than pep once finished?

Iv been wonderig this for a while and Id like to hear some opinions. Thanks. :)

I have no doubt that the foam method is less time consuming than the traditional pep method. But, as I'm sure you've noticed, there are several foam builds out there that can rival even the most detailed traditional builds, pep, fiberglass, body filler, etc. method. I suppose, with either build, it all depends on how much time, practice, and patience is devoted to the project as a whole. What it really comes down to: which method are YOU the most comfortable with? Just my 2 cents.

-Matt

Foam can get good details if you have the skill and patience. It's also a bit more expensive to mess up on, as ruining a pep puts out out a penny or two to reprint the page, but if you screw up a foam piece it's gonna put you out a few dollars, but that's pretty minimal. I like pep a bit more because the details are made for you, and I don't like working with templates, I'd rather just cut the thing straight out, and I'm not sure foam is faster, as I can crank out peps pretty quickly. But foam works well for some people for some projects, and it does ARGUABLY get to bypass the smoothing stage. I say arguably because if you aren't super pro at cutting foam, you get some pretty rough looking pieces that need to be smoothed out, and there are a lot of things I've yet to see be done with foam, but that may be because it is a new thing.

But when you get down to it, both of them need to be cut and glued together, both of them need to be hardened with some chemical (and both can be worn without hardening, at your own risk). I think they're about the same and the differences (time cost skill) are more nominal than people give then credit, and as has been mentioned, it boils down to just doing whichever you're more comfortable with. Try making something easy like a shoulder piece with each one, see which you like more.

Well for opinion pep will always make for overall better armour, Longshots MK VI build is a prime example. Not so much the detail just it is more armour like being all hard an all. Saying this, if you check my MK VI you will see that it is possible to make armour just as detailed in foam.

As mcshane said all depends on your preference. I went for foam because it's quick, cheap and personally found it easy. I tried the fibreglass/bondo method and it wasn't for me. The other thing I like about a foam build is its so light. Either way I would read up as much a you can on both technics and weight up which you feel will be best suited to you.

I've not worked with foam, but it definitely seems to be a bit quicker. You have to be more careful with the actual cuts, and when you're painting you have to seal it, but you also don't have the harsh chemicals or restrictions of the pepakura direction. Fine detailed areas like helmets seem a bit more difficult, on the other hand, since you have to form the foam. Pep'ing the parts, it seems, usually looks a tad better than foam, as with the foam it will always look like foam, from what I've seen. But truly, you won't know until you try it, I recommend you get a sheet of foam or a pack or however it is sold, and build something like a handplate, then do it with cardstock, and see which you like more.

It comes down to which form of craft you're more comfortable with. Do you want to work smarter, and be done relatively sooner, with a marginal decrease in looks, or work a bit harder, with more time in the long run, and have it look a little better? Just a reminder, I have never worked with foam, so maybe don't count on me, haha!

Form - Foam: Soft, flexible, and foldable like cloth.
Pepakura: Hard, resistant, and feels like ARMOR.

Fit - Foam: Made to fit personal form
Pepakura: Made by modeler. Will only fit perfectly if model is modified, made by yourself, or just by chance coincidence.

Functionality – Foam: Action gaming such as Nerf battles. (running, dodging, and any other quick movements)
Pepakura: Conventions (standing around looking cool). Movie quality look. Or on display.

Weight - Foam: Includes foam, glue, and accessories.
Pepakura: Includes paper, resin, fiberglass mat, bondo (as needed)

Difficulty – Foam: Depends on experience
Pepakura: Depends on experience

Cost – Foam: Depends on supplier
Pepakura: Depends on suppliers, technique, and details

Versatility - Foam: Each is made specifically for one person. One piece at a time using trial and error (unless using template).
Pepakura: Can be easily replicated using any molding process or vacuform. Molding process mostly used by people trying to sell multiple copies or to have the finished product lightweight. That in turn can make it weaker and more brittle.

Ultimately you need to decide what it will be used for, your budget, your patience, and your skills. Your time dedicated to the project will ultimately be a calculation of all the fore mentioned requirements.

A question along the lines of this thread, do people often not harden their foam armor? Just foam and hot glue doesn't sound like it's very durable, and I've heard some people plastic dip their pieces, is it a lot more up in the air? Are there any implications to hardening/not hardening a foam piece?

A question along the lines of this thread, do people often not harden their foam armor? Just foam and hot glue doesn't sound like it's very durable, and I've heard some people plastic dip their pieces, is it a lot more up in the air? Are there any implications to hardening/not hardening a foam piece?

Hardening is not typical with the foam method. As KingRahl pointed out, the foam method is designed much more specifically to the individual wearer, so flexibility is key.

-Matt

TBH, it took 2 1/2 weeks to finish my entire Shepard build out of foam, complete with two foam weapons. Nothing fancy, but done in no time and extremely easy to work with. Much more flexible and light, but then again it doesn't really feel like armor (or at least mine didn't).

I've been working on my Fallout build since last November. It'll be solid as a rock though (and heavy).

You can add a ton of detail to each, but time-wise the foam wins hands down in my book. The biggest setback for pep is the cutting and the gluing. Both can turn out awesome in the end, it's just getting past that stage for the pep that can be annoying.

I have built a foam suit and a pep suit, my prefrence is the foam suit, there are pros and cons to either suit, The biggest reasons I prefer the foam suit is the fact that it is flexible and lightweight, when I wear the pep suit, it gets extremely hot wearing it, the weight wears you out quicker and if the parts rub against each other they make a clanking noise and bumps and drops usually end up with some sort of damage, with the foam suit I can jump around in it, it don't tire me out as bad because its lightweight and if I bump into anything it doesn't damage it. Once you get the hang of foam you can actually detail it enough that most people can't tell what its made of but pep suits you can really make them look detailed and game accurate plus it looks like real armor if you do it right, I think its best to try either method at least do a small armor part in foam and one in pep and see what you prefer

Hardening is not typical with the foam method. As KingRahl pointed out, the foam method is designed much more specifically to the individual wearer, so flexibility is key.

-Matt

I've heard that since it's foam, it doesn't take paint as well, is that the main reason for plastic dipping? Also, does it look much like armor when it goes undipped/painted? I am planning to do battle damage and wear and tear, and with all the great foam torsos out there, was considering doing one of those, but if it's going to look like I'm wearing foam, I might stick with pep for a more beat-up armor look.

Having built my first armor out of pep and my subsequent armors out of foam, I have to say I far prefer making armor with foam. The biggest bottleneck with pep production for me has always been the bondo/sanding cycle whereas with foam, it's a WYSIWYG proposition.

I've found my foam armor to be more durable than the pep as it flexes and bends rather just snapping off or cracking. Foam doesn't need to be hardened, the plastidip is pretty much to help seal the seams/hold the armor together, and provide a surface for the paint to go on smoothly.

Thank you so much. All of you! It was very interesting to hear those opinions, differences and facts between those two materials and methods. Great! ;) That was usefull.

Pick a piece, say a shoulder. Pep and harden it, then make a foam copy of the same piece. Then ask yourself...
- Which did you enjoy working with more?
- which came out the way you wanted?
- which has more pro's ( in your opinion)

At the end of the day this is all personal preference. You will never know whats what until you try.

Cheers,
Cereal

I'd have to say foam. Just the fact that you don't have to mess with fiberglass, filler and sanding is enough to make me wanna switch. Once I get my CQB pep armor complete, my next suit will most definitely be foam. I can hardly wait!:D

I would like to add my 2 cents to this thread as well. :p

I've worked with BOTH methods. I have yet to actually complete an entire suit using pep because the materials require that the temperature is just right so that constricted my building to the summer months. I had to worry about fumes from the resin and make sure I had all my safety gear and the stuff started to get too expensive for me. Ultimately I couldn't really afford to do anything.

With the foam, I could easily build indoors all year round, no matter what the weather! :D Also, I did NOT have to worry about trying to harden it and wait for it to cure then spend the time sanding to make it smooth. As soon as a piece was fully completed, I could go straight to painting. I DID NOT use plasti-dip to seal. From what I understand, you ONLY need plasti-dip if you plan on using spray paint to paint your armor. I used acrylic paint and hand painted my entire Kat costume. I DID use a clear coat over everything though. It turned out quite nice and the light weight of it made it feel better to wear.

The foam I buy is roughly $12 for a pack of 4. 5 packs of the stuff is good enough if not more than enough for what I need it for. However, I have NOT made a helmet out of foam. If I do make a helmet, that will be done using the pep method as I don't think a Hayabusa helmet is gonna be easy to make out of foam! XD

Form - Foam: Soft, flexible, and foldable like cloth.
Pepakura: Hard, resistant, and feels like ARMOR.

Fit - Foam: Made to fit personal form
Pepakura: Made by modeler. Will only fit perfectly if model is modified, made by yourself, or just by chance coincidence.

Functionality – Foam: Action gaming such as Nerf battles. (running, dodging, and any other quick movements)
Pepakura: Conventions (standing around looking cool). Movie quality look. Or on display.

Weight - Foam: Includes foam, glue, and accessories.
Pepakura: Includes paper, resin, fiberglass mat, bondo (as needed)

Difficulty – Foam: Depends on experience
Pepakura: Depends on experience

Cost – Foam: Depends on supplier
Pepakura: Depends on suppliers, technique, and details

Versatility - Foam: Each is made specifically for one person. One piece at a time using trial and error (unless using template).
Pepakura: Can be easily replicated using any molding process or vacuform. Molding process mostly used by people trying to sell multiple copies or to have the finished product lightweight. That in turn can make it weaker and more brittle.

Ultimately you need to decide what it will be used for, your budget, your patience, and your skills. Your time dedicated to the project will ultimately be a calculation of all the fore mentioned requirements.

This is an awesome summary!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back