Halo 3: Odst - Pepakura Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Buck's comm pack, theres also a strip that reachs from the comm pack to the back of the helm.

The strip doesn't go all the way to the back of the helmet. It's a good two inches from the ear peice.

-Pony

anyone thats building the smg

how do u plan to strengthen it cuz i might make that or the MA5K or both and need some help with that

I build the smg and Probably resin it twice on the outside and rondo the inside just to give it some weight and strength. I hope the weather gets better tomorrow. Thats the best I've come up with to have a strong weapon.

hey I saw the new unfold ODST rookie helmet by Ral Partha and wanted to download it but the file isn't download able anymore

can anyone send me a link where I can download the file?

or send me the file to my email

bramaarts-76@hotmail.com

thanks all

Wow, ive just spent quite some time reading this topic and im speechless. All these models just keep getting better and better as the days go by. There is one thing ive spotted though, the new center equip plate is very flat while ive found in many pictures that it has more angles.

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3ODST/imagery/renders/Halo3_ODST-Romeo.jpg

http://woodytondorf.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/odst2.jpg

http://www.thegamereviews.com/userfiles/image/Halo3_ODST_01_2copy5.jpg

http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/JKLSKESUDLD/concept_art/characters/Halo3-ODST_CharConcept-03.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/odst armor/wkc7783/Halo3-ODST_Sgt_Johnson_cutout_W_Alp.jpg

If you look closely at the center equip plate you can see in every single one that it has much more depth.

But other than this all of this is amazing. Hope this helps to further improve the quality of these models. :D

Tarchinoko,

Hey, and welcome to the thread! I hope that you've found everything you need, and I'm glad you're a fan of the thread!

Thanks for the pics. I've seen this same problem after so many more pics were uploaded on the internet after the game's release (in fact, I was just thinking of this a day or two ago). The thing is, I would have fixed this a while ago, but I don't want to annoy they unfolders who have spent time unfolded all the previous versions of my models. Let's just say I have a tendency of releasing more accurate versions after I discover inaccuracies (which, for some annoying reason, always happens after I release stuff). I just don't want the unfolders to get annoyed. I will happily fix this, but only if there is still someone willing to re-re-unfold it (which, after releasing like 3 versions already, I don't blame them if there isn't). But, like you, I'm a total fan of continually improving these models in the name of accuracy.

Oh, by the way, when I was talking to my dad while waiting for our table in a resteraunt during my little college trip/sister visit last weekend, but dad told me that he'd buy me a 405th.com T-shirt in celebration of my thread's 100,000+ views. I mean, I could just buy one myself, but who wouldn't take something if it's free. Anyway, I hope that Adam still has one sitting around.

Shade

I was wondering if anyone who has the pep for ral's unfold of the rookie helm could possibly send it to me. The link was taken down by M$

Harding29 said:

how do u plan to strengthen it cuz i might make that or the MA5K or both and need some help with that

i plann on resoning it twice. on the first layer of resin ill drill a small hole and fill it with great stuff that foam spray then covering it with bondo then resin it again to give it extra strength

Last edited by a moderator:
Harding29 said:

I think I'll use Fiberglass pieces to hold it together

yea is there any way to get the Ral Partha unfold of the rookie helmet? I've been wanting to build that for such a long time but the unfold that is there now just looks so complicated so I made the WETA version instead. Needless to say I'd much rather have rundown's version.

Also, for the helmet by rundown, shouldn't the vents (for lack of a better word) on the side of the helmet go higher up on the cheeks? I've been watching this forum for a long time and no one has mentioned it so thought I'd throw in my two cents.

halo3_odst-rookie.jpg

If you look at the vents they start above the top line of the chin part of his helmet. Rundown's start at the same level. I hope that makes sense.

Yeah I noticed that on both the Rook's and Dutch's helmets (among other discrepencies). I'm currently working on a more accurate version of Dutch as of now and should be able to modify it into a Rookie soon after.

Hey everyone, once again awesome thread, I was wondering if anyone has tried using a pep model as the mold for a vacuum form armor. I only ask because I am currently pepping rundowns rookie helmet, and my room mates all want one, but suck at actually doing things so i was going to try and use it as a mold for a vacuum form copy. Just wondering if it has been done.

Great ODST reference pictures.

I was looking for images of ODST for reference and I found this awesome site with INCREDIBLE pictures of the ODST armor. They have great details on elements of the armor that you don"t usually see such as the side armor and the back armor. It even has a turnaround view in Quicktime. I will be using these images a lot for reference on how to eventually build my ODST armor. Hey, if I could I'd redo a few of the pieces but I don't have the skills to work a 3D program. I can unfold though. Before I digress more, I'm going to give you the site URL http://www.naterogers.net/?page_id=215 .

- ADDENDUM -

IMPORTANT: Nathan Rogers has replied to my email and he states that he is honored for the requests and attention he is getting for his ODST models. Nonetheless, he currently has to meet deadlines and won't be able to follow up on the various request until November 15th. So please, if you want to send him an email, do so after that date. I wouldn't want him to get harassed by the 405th and decide that we are too much trouble. Thank you very much.

- END OF ADDENDUM -

(I digress - A little off topic) I thought I wouldn't build an ODST armor but I love doing the pepakura stuff and this armor is just too cool. I'm more into medieval type LARP so I'll be very happy if someone can post medieval 3D armor pieces that I can load into pepakura. Particularly, anything related to the beginning of fourteenth century or from the movie Underworld: Evolution. I love the fourteenth century and I think the Death Dealers armor at the beggining of that movie make super awesome LARP armors even though they are COMPLETELY anachronistic with the date provided in the movie.

Hope you like the reference image and I'm willing to work with any 3D artist that endeavors to undertake some redesign of the pieces. For example, I haven't seen any design for the side armor pieces visible on the high poly image next to the abdominal plates (Left side equipment plate). And the back armor seems stubbier than the torso armor with the new "scaled" lombar region (ODST HD Torso unfold_mks81).

On another note, I did send an email for high resolution versions of the images on that page to Mr.Rogers and I did state that I was a member of the 405th. I also stated that if he was to make high rez files available on his Web site that we would all benefit. I don't really want this artist to get swamped with emails requesting high rez version of the images. I hope I didn't overstep my privileges as a newbie member.

Hi Malek! Welcome to the 405th!

Well, from a modeler's point-of-view, that site you posted a link to is certainly a wealth of resources! Yep, by the looks of it, we're gonna need to do some updates to the files. Man, I really need to buy a liscense to Pep sometimes, because I hate asking unfolders to unfold over and over again. Oh well.

I think the following updates are in order:

odstshouldersupdate1.jpg

odstchestupdates1.jpg

For the shoulders, I think I'd better completely remodel the upper-most piece. Mine is too round and the sides of it should not go so far back. The lowest (flattest) piece is still pretty accurate, but, based on Nate Rodger's model, it should be thicker (like about an inch thick). Lastly, the little piece in between the two should be shaped a little differently, and it has an indentation on the lower half of it.

As for the chest pieces, I've made the following observations: the overall shape of the side plates on Nate Rodger's model are a bit different in shape and elongated, and the outer side of it is indented in about an inch, as opposed to being completely flat. The center equiptment plate should obvisouly be thicker, and it sort of curves upward. Also, the bottom of it should flare out a bit more. The beltplate should be smaller in height, but the details should retain the same size. The crotch plate still looks fine.

Obviously the chest plate STILL needs a lot of work. I might just scrap it and start all over. Maybe I should just advise people to use ForgedReclaimer's model instead (if that's been pepped yet). Sometime I will redo the torso completely, but it will stay as it is for now.

Please remember that most of these models were released way before the game even came out and were based on the few reference images that had been released, so inaccuracies are expected to be abundant.

Also, hey Harding, thanks for the unfold of the ODST torso with the skinnier neck!

Sorry for all the mistakes,

Shade

Nightshade said:
Hi Malek! Welcome to the 405th!

Sorry for all the mistakes,

Shade

Small note: It's Meleck even though Malek is a real arabic name. No big deal. Meleck is a combination of my wife last name and mine.

What do you mean sorry for the mistakes? Don't be. Be proud of the work that you have done. About the unfolding, it's a pleasure to unfold something which has been done by someone else. I feel guilty for not making the models myself so don't fell guilty for not making the unfolds. I will gladly make the unfolds if you make the models. I was looking at some of the models already done. A lot fo them seem to be using the ODST action figure model to make the pieces. It's all right. We are allowed to have differnet version as revisions do happen in the real world. I'm lucky (somewhat) to not having started anything but I've got a lot of respect for those who have done the work before me.

A note on the thigh pieces, when I look at the colored version, I think that the black part are actually rubber or some sort of flexible material. Just like the inside pieces inside the thigh. The part painted in an urban camo would be hard and the rest would be flexible. Can someone detach that piece if it's automatically included in the PEP version? Or is it something that the unfolder would have to consider?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back