HaloGoddess' "How To Scale" and More Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading that some people build a Normal Detail piece to quickly check (and adjust) sizing before making a "real" High Detail piece. Well, the ND and HD files are usually submitted by different people and are of different size in Pepakura. So I'm curious about how this approach really works. If a size is determined from ND parts, does that size reliably transfer to HD parts (of the same armor, of course)? Or will there be variances between them due to ND versus HD patterns? Thanks.

Hey i'm building an ODST suit and i cant figure out how to scale the piece that goes on the back or some of the other odd pieces

I've been reading that some people build a Normal Detail piece to quickly check (and adjust) sizing before making a "real" High Detail piece. Well, the ND and HD files are usually submitted by different people and are of different size in Pepakura. So I'm curious about how this approach really works. If a size is determined from ND parts, does that size reliably transfer to HD parts (of the same armor, of course)? Or will there be variances between them due to ND versus HD patterns? Thanks.

(Testing how to quote)

So I've moved on to a new part to pep and thinking about using a normal detail file to dial in the sizing, then apply it to the HD part. Specifically, the Mk VI Bicep normal detail part has H/W/D/S initial values of 416/232/194/86.0, and the HD part has initial values of 414/239/203/86.0. (The HD part is slightly shorter in height but fatter in diameter.) So if I wanted a height of 263 and fed that into the normal detail part getting a particular size for testing, it seems the same 263 value would not be valid for the HD part due to differences in the models, correct?

(Testing how to quote)

So I've moved on to a new part to pep and thinking about using a normal detail file to dial in the sizing, then apply it to the HD part. Specifically, the Mk VI Bicep normal detail part has H/W/D/S initial values of 416/232/194/86.0, and the HD part has initial values of 414/239/203/86.0. (The HD part is slightly shorter in height but fatter in diameter.) So if I wanted a height of 263 and fed that into the normal detail part getting a particular size for testing, it seems the same 263 value would not be valid for the HD part due to differences in the models, correct?

Quote test successful.

To answer you questions, which were quite over-complicated, low-def and hi-def parts should be scaled at the exact same dimensions. They are made at the same proportions and the only difference is detail and the amount of pieces.

Hope this helps clear it up.

They are made at the same proportions and the only difference is detail and the amount of pieces.

The proportions are slightly different. I'll size with the HD as I've been doing. The whole models don't need to be assembled, just the parts which contribute to the final primary dimension. Thanks.

Oh, thank you for this wonderful tutorial!
I was reading the other one provided on the forum and started asking myself "but how do I know what I should measure?"
This helps so much, so THANK YOU!

Awesome tutorial HaloGoddess, someone knows how to scale the SD Helmets like this one??
616502_10151394002627089_485242993_o.jpg

Am I doing something wrong!?
I scaled the Mark VI chest piece to the width (adding 2 extra inches became 36). The boxes the pieces are supposed to be lined in get small to the point that I can't fit them in there. Any of them. Plus the file to begin with already has pieces off the paper... I'm printing on Letter size cardstock and the settings all match up... so is there something I'm doing?

Looks like this:
2guyscn.png

Hey everyone. I am having troubles sizing the Kirrou Odst Rookie helmet. I have tried three times and maybe moving on to the 4th. The file standard size is 31 cm. I believe thats what I did the first time and its almost there but its too tight. I reprinted it but was smaller yet. So the third size is height 356mm, width 304, and depth 386mm. This I believe is to big. I need the helmet to be about 10 or so inches to get my head in it. Thats width. Can anyone give me a hand on it please.

Does anyone have some tips on scaling for tall and skinny? I'm 6'5 and 140-145lbs. I've tried every scaling method I can find, but the MKIV chest ALWAYS looks a bit ridiculous on me. I've thought about doing foam, but considering I have a pretty hefty automotive background, me and bondo/resin really have a pretty good relationship.

this is just what i was looking for. i was going to just print of different scales but this is so much better. thank you.

I'm looking to build Vrogy's Halo 3 marine helmet, but i'm not sure what to set the scale to. I usually scale my helmets to 26.5cm, but whenever i look up someone who's made the helmet, they complain that its ends up being too big. So is there anyone that can help? Thanks

I'm looking to build Vrogy's Halo 3 marine helmet, but i'm not sure what to set the scale to. I usually scale my helmets to 26.5cm, but whenever i look up someone who's made the helmet, they complain that its ends up being too big. So is there anyone that can help? Thanks

Well, yeah, if you scale a helmet that only covers the top of your head with a scaling method meant for full helmets, it's going to be huge. What you want to focus on in this case is your head width or depth (I'd suggest width, ear-to-ear straight through your head). Then figure out the opening width of the helmet (not the entire width of the helmet, the opening) for whatever the scale is, then scale it appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back