"Help!" for: Misc...

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by 23Magnum, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Zaff

Zaff

I don't mind. I'm usually on at least once a day so an answer might not be immediate but it shouldn't be too long a wait.

2. James Biotech

James Biotech New Member

I am wanting to make a halo 4 recruit costume but I don't know what to use as the under clothing that does not cost a lot of money?

3. OT7OM4N

OT7OM4N New Member

I found a cheap wetsuit on ebay, I'm going to replace the parts covered with the hard suit with a more breathable material so I don't get too warm!
    I'm in the UK but here's the link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331603963...49&var=540763002776&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

4. CyberRaider

CyberRaider New Member

Hi. I just started working on a Halo 4 Venator. I couldn't find a way to re-size the Venator pepakura armor here, at least without buying Designer so I could keep a low budget. I am thankful for the tutorials posted here on how to use it, but they don't cover Viewer since Viewer is a limited version of Pepakura. That's when I googled and did some research and happened upon Stony Props and the Venator files one of the members shared on their Facebook. When I got curious about Stony Props, I typed in the address to their "old" site (I suppose) that was written on one of their files to learn more about them. I thought maybe they were related to 405th since their facebook page is littered with Halo cosplay aromor and pics. When I opened the site, the only thing I was greeted with was a banner that read:

"Stony Props has malicious members: Stony Props goes out of their way to attack members of the cosplay community. Their only focus is to make money. They have no care for the cosplay community and purposely steals the focus off of other cosplayers simply so they can make money. Cosplay is meant for the fun and enjoyment of dressing up as your favorite character. Do NOT support Stony Props."

With this in my mind, I have to ask the older members on this site: Who are Stony Props, and are they a "controversial" cosplay group? If they are, I would like to steer clear from them and their files. I'm asking this because I'd rather not use a file from a controversial group and stop what I am doing. I've tried researching more about them and have only found their new site, but it doesn't reassure me of the answers I was looking for.

I'm also posting this question here since the other FAQ and Q&A threads don't seem to fit this kind of question.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017
  5. James Biotech

James Biotech New Member

Thank you so much Your awesome:D

6. James Biotech

James Biotech New Member

I am going to be making a halo 4 ODST foam costume but I don't know how to size it. Can someone help me?

7. XStringbreakeRX

XStringbreakeRX New Member

Um, I wasn't really sure where to put this, so the Misc. section seemed like a good place. I'm interested in doing a Fotus armor cosplay. Only problem is I've never cosplayed before and I don't know a damn thing of what I need, or how to do anything. So I was wondering if anyone could possibly help? Any and all help will be much appreciated. Thank you so very much!

8. FlyinPhil

FlyinPhil Marketplace Supervisor Division Staff

Welcome to the site! My only suggestion is to read, read, and then read some more. There is a TON of information on this forum, and it will definitely help you out in building a suit! We get this question on a daily basis haha. It's simply a matter of doing a little research and reading through other members' build threads that will get you on the right track.

9. XStringbreakeRX

XStringbreakeRX New Member

Awesome. Thanks!

10. CreedRain

CreedRain New Member

what is the best day to keep shin armor in place? it wraps all the way around the lower leg/shin.

11. The BorosBoss

The BorosBoss

If you make it just the right size, it will hug your leg and sit atop the boots you make. If it's too loose, you might make a few cuts and remove some material, or lock it to your undersuit with velcro. I've only made one set, and they were freehand and fairly loose, but it worked fairly well, needing the occasional adjustment-- but in my experience most armor does. Looked a bit like so:
    emile_legs_TBB.jpg
    you can see that there's some space but it's fairly tight on the sides and rests on top of the boots so they don't move a whole lot. Hope this helped.

emile_legs_TBB.jpg

12. ZP180

ZP180

This may be a stupid question for all you veterans out there. I'm working on an ODST build out of pepakura right now and need some advice on hardening in the winter. Over the weekend, I completed pep work on both shoulders and on of the hip plates. I'm worried about these pieces sitting as they are until spring. At the same time, today it's only 17 degrees F for the high, which is way to cold to get out there a resin/fiberglass. I've looked some into the wood glue, fiberglass method, but am not sure about it. Anyone out there with some advice/tips on how to help my pieces last until spring with minimal warping?

13. RobotChicken

RobotChicken

Epoxy resin is odorless (but a respirator is still recommended) and could be used indoors. Otherwise, you can box them up in a dry place until the weather warms up (maybe even add a silica gel pack in the box to absorb moisture). If the models include adequate structural supports then they shouldn't warp. If not, crumple up some scrap paper to place inside them for support.

14. Sentri

Sentri

I've returned after quite sometime of being inactive. I plan on making a set of armor at some point, but I'm starting with a smaller project first.

I want to make the Widowmaker Shotgun from Deus Ex (but the TF2 Engineer Variant). My question is, has anyone ever used drywall spackle on foam core board? I want to blend the corners. I planned on using tape and placing the spackle over the tape to blend the seams. I will be painting the whole thing, most likely spray paint.

I'm trying to cut the cost on materials as I own spackle, and foam core board already. Hoping that it will work.

15. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

Dirtdives is the only currently active member I know that works with foam board. He may have an answer for you. Or at least check out his threads, he's doing some FB builds right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2017
    Dirtdives likes this.
  16. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Re: "Help!" for: Misc...

Thanks PerniciousDuke. Keep those treads in mind. I intend to get back to it soon.

ChaosDynasty, ‚ÄčIv'e mostly used spackle on drywall and miniature scenery pieces. i know that there are some who have used it instead of bondo to some limited success, but those were on armor or helmet pieces. And those were ridged pieces using pep and fiberglass interior. Foam board has some give to it, more than enough to break spackle. I don't recommend mixing the 2 types, 1 ridged and 1 semi flexible. You are going to end up w/ cracks all along the seams until the tape rips and the spackle will start to flake off. It will look like a crack on a wall running along the joint between 2 slabs of drywall. My suggestion is plasta dip. It will cover all the seams. I know you are trying to keep the cost down but keep one thing in mind......if you don't seal the edges of the FB, your spray paint will melt the foam center. The plasta dip will seal it up and you could spray away.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017
  17. Sentri

Sentri

I might take that route then, thanks.

I also have a few other questions. I plan to do a Tex build for my armor. Being completely new to this, I'm a bit leary to jumping right to a halo 3 level build, but my helmet is the halo 3 version. would it be a bad idea to do a halo 1 version of the armor while having a halo 3 style helmet?, or should I attempt to build a new helmet for halo 1 as well?

Also, how adverse are people to using cardboard? I'm honestly trying to find the cheapest way to do things (as I am poor beyond belief).

18. RYNO 666

RYNO 666 Well-Known Member

You can try safe indoor resin such as Aqua Resin.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

19. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

If memory serves, someone in the service over in the Middle-East built a suit out of cardboard and it came out fantastic. I can't remember who.....somebody chime in on this one please........Also, not having a full suit myself, I'm not so sure that anyone but die-hard HALO fanatics would know the difference if you pieced together armor that appealed to your artistic style and your life-style. And even if they did they would probably point out the good aspects of the build.......point out areas that you could improve on and how to do so if asked......very giving and helpful group here. As PerniciousDuke said, I'm making several items out of foam board. Mostly because I get scrap pieces from work for free. So going the cheap way.....sometimes is the best way.

20. gianna

gianna New Member

hi , i see that everyone here is building armors and weapons and stuff like that....
    good job everyone by the way...
    all the photos that i seen are great...

I am wondering if anyone can help me .... on how to make a female mannequin in smaller scale .... i was looking for something to build it in the web about 2 months now and i accidently came up with pepakura and this forum....

is there a thread that someone knows that can help me...? i m trying to read all the threads but there are alot.....

21. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

Would it not be easier to just buy a mannequin? We make costumes so I don't know if you'll find much help in that field here. :/ Sorry

22. Chernobyl

Chernobyl

For both of you: you may want to consider looking into how to make a duct-tape dummy. For costuming on a budget, these can be a lot more cost-effective, and there's a much better chance of your mannequin being correct to the body size you're working on.

Dirtdives likes this.
  23. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

There is a youtube video on making a duct tape mannequin. It's very simple and you get your measurements 100% accurate since the mannequin is base off your exact dimensions.....You will need a second person though......

PerniciousDuke likes this.
  24. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Sorry double post

25. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

Thanks Chernobyl! That is a great idea! I may look into making one as well. :)