"Help!" for: Papercraft or Pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I'm finally embarking on my first build! I've got the pep files for the MKVI halo 3 helmet and have a few questions about the assembly!
I had a few trys at assembling a rouge helmet before but ran into issues...
When I was looking at the 3D model to give me an idea of how things should look, I noticed that there are what I can best describe as "hidden" folds!
They can be seen as shadow on the 3D model but are not printed on the templates...
I tried assembling the first time without folding the hidden ones but quickly got myself into a mess and abandoned it...
The second try was alot more successful when I decided to use the hidden folds as best as I could, working from eye and the 3D model!
I can understand that pepping can be a time consuming process, but I think that this method was making it much harder for myself than it has to be!
Is there a function on the pep program that will show these "hidden" folds on the print or is there some other method that I should be using?
Any help is much appreciated for this foolish n00b!
Sorry for the long windedness the post...
Thanks guys!
Mitch (CFH)

I saw those on the mkvb I put together. You can try another file, there are like 60000 mkvi files out there, so you have a lot of options. Alternatively, you can just muscle through it. Usually they're not so much hidden as not important, they may require the piece curve a bit, but not outright fold, depends on the file though. Pictures of how it is impeding your progress would help us help you.

Thanks katsu!
I'll post pics as soon as i resume building! I'm working alot at the moment so things are on the back burner for now! I'll find the file name i'm building from for you in the mean time if that helps to diagnose the issues i'm having?

Woops, if you want to give me the file name and its size, that might help but pictures detailing the problem are better.

A question of my own: How do I add support struts to a pepakura file?

I should add, I know I could do it afterwards, but the piece I am editing is the UA headpiece for mk5b, and it's kind of flappy, I want the support added in the pep so I know the exact distance between the two flaps.

Alright, so I'm about to start my first armor project (this weekend), and I've been looking through the reach files and have several questions. On most of the files (for reach chest armor rundown by Brandon McClain, version from 2010) seems to have enormously large holes for the arms. Why is this? It doesn't appear like that in-game. Also, Hickydog's comment here confused me:
Down in the bottom right corner of the Pepakura program, there are 3 dimensions. This will tell you how tall, wide, and deep the assembled piece will be. Have your friend take detailed measurements of your body, and then use that to make a guesstimate of how big you need the pieces to be.

In Pepakura Designer 3, go to 2D Menu-Change Scale-Scale Factor. Enter your guesstimate on how big to make it, and then add 2cm to that. Print, cut, score, assemble, and see if it's too big/small/just right.

You will screw up the scaling occasionally and have to re-pep something. For my suit, I ended up pepping 2 helmets, 5 shins, 3 chests, and 3 belts because I got the scaling wrong.

I'm using pep 3, where is this 2D menu that he speaks of? I've checked the program's options dozens of times now, and I can't seem to find it. If I have to update something, I am not sure if I will be able to do this or not, as I cannot access the site currently.

I also can't seem to find any shoulder permutations to my liking, is it possible for me to use the Halo 3 scout shoulder in conjunction with the Halo Reach shoulder armor? The same is true for the ODST helmets. If someone can reply as soon as possible, it would be helpful to me.

Thanks for reading!

HI!

The large arm and neck holes in some of the reach pieces is because they're just for the colored parts of the armor. There is a black armor that makes those gaps smaller, but it seems like most people just wear black body suits, correct me if I'm wrong... Anyways, there are files out there that have it included, if you'd rather pep it. The koshima07 and l3x blu3riv3r versions have it.
Here is the db for the files: http://www.4shared.com/dir/iLZI7Rb-/halo_reach_files.html

Pep 3 is the wrong program to use. You want Pep Designer, to get access to editing features. You can't save the changes unless you pay 40$ for the full version, the free version has everything except the save function.

What is it that's bothering you about the shoulders? Is there one you want but can't find a file for? Or just not a fan of the reach shoulders in general? if the former, refer to the link above, if the latter, that's the joy of this hobby, you can do whatever you want. Paint it bright pink with yellow polka dots, it's your piece, build it for you so that you are happy. We'll appreciate another armor builder regardless, you're the one that has to live with the piece!

If you want a really really good ODST helmet, Kirrou's is about game perfect, I love it and swear by it, and Hugh's is also pretty good I've heard.

Thanks for answering those questions. I'm not sure where to find Pep Designer, is it on the site? Or elsewhere? As to the shoulders, I have a older version of the all-in-one pack on this site, and I don't know where to get pep files for my preferred shoulders. Most of the time, when I see links to other files, I can never access the site due to content elsewhere on the site. All I have is the basic Noble 1-6 armor, and event at that, it's incomplete. So my armor-making abilities are really limited to what I have from that pack. Naturally, being an older version from 2010, I don't have a lot of reach armor, but plenty of Halo 3 armor (not really what I'm trying to do, hoping to shoot for a "refined" form of my multiplayer avatar). So you can see where my request about the shoulders came from.

After browsing through the noob, standard and elite projects, another question has arisen. Is there a good method to making interchangeable armor attachments? I always like to have the option of changing out pieces without completely starting a new armor. If you have answers to my noobish questions, that'll be a big help.

I linked you to the newest DB, but if it's not working tell me which shoulder armor from reach you are interested in, and I'll post screencaps of the peps and put the peps on my website, since it's direct download you won't have ad clutter.

Most people don't do interchangeable, but Rawr and I are planning that for our Reach sets. It's an issue you sort of can't really address until you're finished with the pieces, but some things I've seen are using rare earth magnets, and plain old screws. I'm probably going to glue nuts into the shoulder armor, and then stick a screw through the inside of the bicep armor into the shoulder armor, it's not an exact science so you do what works best for you.

Here's Pep Designer:
http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

and here are the Halo reach armor permutations, if you see one you like, tell me and I'll gladly get it for you if that 4shared link I gave earlier is not working for you.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101026192659/halo/images/f/f9/All_armor_permutations.jpg

Thanks Katsu! If you have a good file for the base Hazop (I personally like Hazop, but the 2010 version that I have for pep is awful and disorted), recon shoulders, and grenaider kneepads? If you do, that would help so much!

On your comment about interchangeable parts, that's what I expected, and I was hoping to hear a more refined method. I don't want to attach screws to my armor because sometimes the bare arm look nice... but the only way to work around this (as I believe) would to make another shoulder piece for that purpose. But that will be another project for another day.

I hope you have those files, as I would rather use a Hazop instead of painting stripes on a ODST helmet (it's annoying having to free-hand stripes on anything, scale or not), that, and I just find the Hazop to be much more visually appealing than the ODST. On the matter of the DB, I can not access it due to shared network restrictions. On it, File-sharing sites are veiwed as harmful, so I can not access it without admin approval.

I hope you get back to me soon, I plan to start tomorrow (easter break day one), but don't feel in any rush, I plan to start pepping from the feet up, saving the helmet for last. If you can reply soon, I'll be very thankful!

Wait, do you want the hazop shoulders, or helmet? Hazop us unfortunately one of the less popular ones, so I may have the same files as you, but here are the ones I have:
hazop.jpg

If any of those are of help, tell me which and I'll post them.

As for interchangeable, I was thinking of having two small holes drilled in the bicep piece, which won't be too unsightly when the shoulderpads are removed.

As for painting stripes, remember painter's tape! It's gooooooood

Er, never mind about the Hazop. Can I instead have Kirrou's ODST helmet files please? But yes, Grenadier and Recon shoulders please. I get to pick up my body suit and card-stock tomorrow, and spend a good portion of the day pepping my armor. Can I have the link to your site once you've posted the files for download? I'll do the helmet last so I can spend the most time on it, I hope to get this armor ready for a special event coming up soon...

Haha, too bad about the hazop, once you get some experience with armoring you could take the file and modify it or the assembled pep. I do think it's a good idea to do a simple piece first to get practice pepping before moving to something important like the helmet.

I put the odst helmet, the grenadier knee, and recon shoulders, as well as the low-def version of the helmet. It's a good idea to assemble the low def piece to check the sizing, and if it's wrong you can modify it until it's right and then apply that scale to the HD helmet without wasting time putting a ton of HD pieces together.

POOF

Let me know if there's anything else you need.

Thanks, I've encountered one more little problem, the suit I was going to use as a base (Brandon McClain version 2010) doesn't have all the armor pieces, and I don't have any other files besides that version. Did he make a newer version that I can use? Also (I'm sorry for the constant questions, I haven't had any experience with anything on this scale before...) I've heard that two weights for cardstock work, off of your personal opinion, which works better? 65 lbs? Or 110 lbs?

I dropped all of the chest pieces I have on that same link, pm me when you're done so I can take down the link.

As for paper weights, it's a preference, I've worked with 65 and 110, and 110 is a lot stiffer, but it's so thick it's a lot harder to work with. If you can be careful, 65 cuts and folds better, but if you want that extra layer of protection, the 110 will give safer results and be less prone to warping from glues or bending.

Again, thanks! I owe you... something! I've gotten the armor off the link, feel free to remove it now. I'll post the starts to the armor tomorrow (or saturday) when I've gotten some progress.

Haha good show, if you need any help, you can pm me or post here anytime, I'm glad to help a fellow armor maker!

("AuRon! Stop posting questions!") Sorry for massive questions, I'm about to print off my models and I need to know how to scale them to my size. Any advice? Or a helpful tutorial?

EDIT: I also need the Toe-piece to the boot, is there a file for this? Or is it supposed to be like that?

("AuRon! Stop posting questions!") Sorry for massive questions, I'm about to print off my models and I need to know how to scale them to my size. Any advice? Or a helpful tutorial?

EDIT: I also need the Toe-piece to the boot, is there a file for this? Or is it supposed to be like that?

heres HaloGoddess TUT http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...d-More-Tutorial?highlight=halogoddess+scaling i think mostly everyone use it. i used it too and it was a pretty good scaling method and easy to understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back