Hey I'm Ceph And Am Starting My Own Outfit! And Could Use A Bit Of Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VVCephei

Hey all as previously mentioned, I am Cephei, Real name is Eric... and to this day I have been mostly working on 3D Studio max//computer based modelling apps. anywho, I decided it was time for another hobby and I found 405th... this website is amazing and it's community has some of the most creative and talented people I have ever seen. I feel accomplished just finding you guys :p.

anyway to the point, I'm working on my own Outfit (the mark 6 from halocostuming. "http://www.vrogy.net/pepa/MKIV_HD_CHEST_A4_FLYINGSQUIRL.pdo")

--The Problem--

anyway regardless of that, I am having MAJOR problems with scale, I am 5'6 and kind of skinny. So I don't have a clue how to accurately input that into Pepakura. I Know that scaling has been mentioned MANY times on this forum... it must have been. But I'm having problems finding a solution that can help me... or at least one that I can easily understand. I Do apologize for any aggrovation this may cause or if this post has irritated you in any way.

I Hope to hear from you all soon, Thank you all very much for reading.

Welcome to the 405th my friend!

be sure to read all the stickies they'll give you a head start on scalling and such.

need anymore help then dont be afraid to ask! were all here to help each other, best of luck with your build

Sgt Spaz said:
Welcome to the 405th my friend!

be sure to read all the stickies they'll give you a head start on scalling and such.

need anymore help then dont be afraid to ask! were all here to help each other, best of luck with your build

Thank you both for your very quick replies! You're both extremely Kind :). And yeah I have been ghosting for a few days, checking out the posts, the people and the stuff on the site, and I gotta say I wanted in on the community :p.

back on topic: Ah yes Abrant3's famous videos.

Well my only problem with his method is that Its really... unclear.

For example, even though I know to measure from elbow height to ear height... I still dont know anything about the width, depth or Scale...

Let me just repeat, I have taken a look at the sticky that goes into GREAT detail about sizing... however, as ashamed as I am to say it, I can hardly understand a single thing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Around 30 Centimeters I think, it's kinda tough with tape measure, is 30 centimeters logical or am I doing something completely wrong?

well what you could probibly do is do abrants sizing technique then type the hieght in on the pepakura designer and when the scale changes to the size you put in get the width and depth measure ments and do a box figure just as a reference how old are you if your are bout 15 you will still continue to grow until 25 so you should grow into

well I'm 5'7" and 155ish pounds. I think mine is scaled at 40cm, so you could try using that as a starting point.

Liq said:
well I'm 5'7" and 155ish pounds. I think mine is scaled at 40cm, so you could try using that as a starting point.

Wow that's great! we're the same height! haha.

is it the same for the torso? because thats what I'm working on now

(yeah I have experiance in paper craft... just not Masterchief papercraft :p)

When the edge ID's start to overlap, there is not much you can do about it. Like Xtreme TACTICS 101 said, you can remove them, but at the same time, it may make it even harder to put together! :eek The only other thing you can really do to try and make it better is to make the font size smaller. I think the smallest you can go is 4. I tried 3 before and the numbers did NOT even print! :eek If you already have the font as small as you can go and it still overlaps like that, you will just have to make do with what you have. While you are putting it together, you may figure out what goes where. I've come across pieces like this before too and when I started piecing it together, I just figured it all out.

And for your measuring issue, I can TRY and help you out. :pNow, I suck at math and such......I mean I REALLY suck at math! lol I can see you are using Pepakura v3 so it works in millimeters. You will of course need to convert your inches into millimeters and then input that into the scaling thing in the program. I use this site: http://www.convertunits.com/from/inches/to/mm to scale. Just put in the inches, hit convert and the number will appear in millimeters. I personally think it's better to try and find the height in inches first and convert that into mm then input it in the height box for scaling. You don't need to worry about the width and the depth. Those change automatically.

I hope this kinda helps you with that. Even for as much as I suck at math, measuring and the fact I don't think I could do math to save my life HAHA, I think I have got a pretty good understanding considering all my stuff so far seems to be fitting good so far. :)

VVCephei said:
hey, I've a printing problem now, whenever I print I get a border around the paper making the actual document smaller... how do I get rid of that? :S

here

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7919/twistedw.jpg

compared to

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5435/twisted2.jpg

Well, in that first image, you are using adobe acrobat and I don't know too much about that program and how to get rid of the border. I just use that program to create documents for my college course since the files sometimes have to be .pdf format! :p

Was that file a .pdf file to begin with? Wouldn't that be kinda hard to even scale it to your size though? But even when I open files in acrobat, I have never seen those lines that you have shown in the corners. You can maybe try and save it as a different file type like a .jpeg and open it in photoshop, if you have that. I actually have a .pdf file that I want to use, but I plan on changing it to .jpeg file so that I can scale and print in easier.

Other than that, I can't really give too much more about acrobat. All I can think of is saving it as a different file type and opening a program that supports that file extension and printing it from there.

Sorry I couldn't be any more of a help. :(

HaloGoddess said:
Well, in that first image, you are using adobe acrobat and I don't know too much about that program and how to get rid of the border. I just use that program to create documents for my college course since the files sometimes have to be .pdf format! :p

Was that file a .pdf file to begin with? Wouldn't that be kinda hard to even scale it to your size though? But even when I open files in acrobat, I have never seen those lines that you have shown in the corners. You can maybe try and save it as a different file type like a .jpeg and open it in photoshop, if you have that. I actually have a .pdf file that I want to use, but I plan on changing it to .jpeg file so that I can scale and print in easier.

Other than that, I can't really give too much more about acrobat. All I can think of is saving it as a different file type and opening a program that supports that file extension and printing it from there.

Sorry I couldn't be any more of a help. :(

Acrobat isn't the problem, if I print directly from Pepakura I still get the border, I simply just used Acrobat to show you the problem.

and don't be silly! Any help is good help... at least you took the time to respond :)

I'm still very grateful

Hey man, welcome to the 405th!

Basically with your border problem,

you need to go into settings -> printer and paper (or something like that) and set the border margin to 5.

Hope all goes well :D

-Spartan-Sauce

Spartan-Sauce said:
Hey man, welcome to the 405th!

Basically with your border problem,

you need to go into settings -> printer and paper (or something like that) and set the border margin to 5.

Hope all goes well :D

-Spartan-Sauce

Wow, that was it? Whoaa

btw, is it normal that the pieces are tiny... I'm doing the chest piece and, is this really going to fit me well? I mean, I'm pretty sure I did it all right, just the pieces are small.. that normal?

VVCephei said:
is it normal that the pieces are tiny... I'm doing the chest piece and, is this really going to fit me well? I mean, I'm pretty sure I did it all right, just the pieces are small.. that normal?

That's exactly what I thought when making my first helmet lol. I had this small pile of what looked like paper splinters, but it all comes out right once is glued together (if you scaled it right!)

And if you can find it, use GEL super glue (if you want to use super glue at all), because regular is kinda runny, and its REALLY easy to put too much and glue your fingers to the tab!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back