Ironman Foam Builds (info added on page 1 for foam builds) Update on helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Casting update :)

So here is my first cast. I am happy with it enough to be able to do some filling and sanding to arrive at a finished helmet. I will cast, refine and remould another perfect version so I have a mould for proper casts later.

IMG_1558.jpg

*Jumps up and down* at how well it came out for a first try and from a foam master at that :)

Thanks for watching.
Tom.

Look at you, Mr. Fancy!

Coming along awesome. Super exciting! :)

---
EDIT: Wait, what?!? This is in the Noob forum??? Do not understand!!!

Look at you, Mr. Fancy!

Coming along awesome. Super exciting! :)

---
EDIT: Wait, what?!? This is in the Noob forum??? Do not understand!!!

Hehe yeah I've stepped up in the building world :)
Sshhhh! I was hoping no one noticed where this thread was :p

i'm looking forward to a nerd day soon. I want to touch its awesomeness! and the helmets too ;P

Oh-er misses! Hopefully we can nerd it up before Christmas cause at this rate I am not so sure :p

Not quite sure how I missed this until now.......

Bravo sir, bravo.

It's easily done unless you spend 24-7 on the forum and thank you thank you :)

Thanks for watching guys and next update will be sanded and I think.......higher res pics too! :D
Tom.

That looks really good Tom, especially coming from a foam master helmet. Great work buddy. :D

That cast looks amazing. I would never have guessed that it came from a foam master. Speaking of foam masters.....you bro...all you!

I agree with everyone. Foam master? Must be witchcraft. Well done, you gonna add the ears to the 'refined version'? or leave them separate? might leave a nice space for batteries/a headset in the cast ;)

Very nice job, looks really clean!

That is one Sweet looking helmet Drack :D

That looks really good Tom, especially coming from a foam master helmet. Great work buddy. :D

That cast looks amazing. I would never have guessed that it came from a foam master. Speaking of foam masters.....you bro...all you!

Thank you guys you are all too kind :)

I agree with everyone. Foam master? Must be witchcraft. Well done, you gonna add the ears to the 'refined version'? or leave them separate? might leave a nice space for batteries/a headset in the cast ;)

Thank you kindly and yeah I will be adding the ears on before casting the second helmet. Here is the plan.

1. Finish this helmet with filler and sanding, detailing and ears on, add hinges, motors and eye lighting. Wear with my suit.
2. Recast and do the same as above excluding tech and leave face plate on.
3. Remould the second cast so I have a perfect mould.
4. Cast flawless helmets for those that are interested :)

Finally after quite some time an update :)

IMG_1567.png

I made it from cheese and used mustard to fill it :p

This is the helmet before the last touch ups and ear attachment (its covered in primer filler, yes yellow primer filler). Over all I am very happy with it. Was a huge learning curve for me seeing as I have only ever done foam work but seeing as the master helmet was foam to start with it came out as well as I had hoped it would.

Things left to do are. Fill the little bits that need it and sand, heat gun the top vent as too big, heat gun the visor as some how its not quiet aligned, fix the teeth, get rid of ridge by the teeth (no idea why I added it), add ears on, primer filler and sand till perfect :)

Hopefully I will have it all done in the next few days ready for paint, hinges and electronics :)

Thank you for watching,
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Man thats one tastey looking block of cheese lol.
Looking good drack :)

Hehe, I must admit it does look very edible :)

Looks brilliant Drack! How much is Filler-primer compared to normal primer? Is it worth it?

The filler primer is a lot more expensive but there were a load of little scratches from sanding that are no longer there. The primer filler is much thicker than normal primer so you use it for that reason. Also you can still body filler on top of it which is great as there is such a nice colour contrast between the two. The real purpose of the primer filler is when I am completely satisfied with the helmet I will spray a coat of PF, then sand, apply another and repeat till the surface is completely smooth.

Thank you for watching,
Tom.

Looks awesome I can't wait to see how it looks in paint :D

Thank you man and me too. Also thank you for being one of the driving forces behind what I have achieved over the last year, your support is greatly appreciated :)

Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back