Ironman Foam Builds (info added on page 1 for foam builds) Update on helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
this... me... seeing.... touching....monday.... CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

And trying on :)

I finally was able to get all the way through this thread this morning. Great job on everything. Love it.

Wow thank you man! I am impressed you got all the way though. I started reading through your new build but had to head to work. Also am closely following a thread on RPF on a guy doing re-casts so its all drama at the moment over there, got a bit caught up in it.

Thanks for watching guys,
Tom.

Update for y'all :)

Got the helmet where I am happy to wear it now. It does need more work but it's not the final cast I will settle with so it will do for me as I am running out of time for new years. Will be making the ear recesses more rounded (you cant see in the pic how bad they are) then will add the ears ready for painting. Hope you like.

IMG_1573.png

Once its painted up and hinged will do some proper pics but not on my phone :)

That looks awesome. I can't believe the thing is foam!!!!! Oh Yoda. . . your ways. . teach me you must. :p Again, Awesome Job!!!

That looks awesome. I can't believe the thing is foam!!!!! Oh Yoda. . . your ways. . teach me you must. :p Again, Awesome Job!!!

Thank you Spartan_127. Although if you mean the helmet it is not foam any more. I am sure you know that and are referring to the suit its self. I must say though I am so happy with the helmet and after having to use body filler on it I am happy to start moving away from foam to pep/glassed/bondoed work. I really wanna post up how the helmet is looking now but not till the final details are finished and the paint is on :)

Oh and in my last post I said I was finished for now on the helmet but I have run out of time for New Years so am 100% committed to getting it ready to remould for casts. This means once they are set up I can relax and take my time on finishing the suit for London MCM next year.

UPDATE! It's getting close to done now :)

Got the ear placements perfectly round and the screw details done. The only thing left now is to make new ears and straighten a bit on the chin. I am not happy with the jaw screws as they are to small so will drill them out and fix bigger ones.

Part of the first picture has gone a bit weird but I think thats to do with the noise reduction I used on it.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Hope you like and thank you for watching,
Tom.

Thank you man and me too :D

It's taken me much longer than I though seeing as I started with foam so didn't expect to have to miss New Years fancy dress because of it. I don't care though as I want this thing perfect! :)

Update for y'all :)

Got the helmet where I am happy to wear it now. It does need more work but it's not the final cast I will settle with so it will do for me as I am running out of time for new years. Will be making the ear recesses more rounded (you cant see in the pic how bad they are) then will add the ears ready for painting. Hope you like.

IMG_1573.png

Once its painted up and hinged will do some proper pics but not on my phone :)

Did you build this from foam or paper, i mean before the bondo?
;)

It started as foam, then made a mould from it, then cast it in plastic and am now improving the shape and details with easy sand filler.

Well it all depends where your skill set lies. I found working with foam was my thing so took this route. For the other 4 Ironman helmets I will make I am going to take the bondo route as I have learned from this build which products to use and the skills needed. The problem with doing it the way I have is that you make the foam master, mould it, then improve it to then have to re-mould. This is far to expensive a way so as I said, not going to do it this way again. Trying to sand the plastic is a pain where as the bondo would be much easier to work with. For the detailing I have had to use milliput which takes for ever to dry so this is taking far too long. Ah well we learn from our mistakes. I must admit I hadn't planned on making the cast helmet so perfect but as a perfectionist I just can't leave it half done :)

Though I do prefer this pic :D

01.jpg

Tom.

I'm loving all the detail that you are putting into this project. It just keeps getting better and better every time I see it. :D

It looks amazing Tom. Although, it's hard to take it serious with such a lovely and festive table cloth laying beneath, lol!!!:D I'm only kidding buddy. You da man! :D

I'm loving all the detail that you are putting into this project. It just keeps getting better and better every time I see it. :D

Thank you man means a lot coming from such a good builder as your self.

It looks amazing Tom. Although, it's hard to take it serious with such a lovely and festive table cloth laying beneath, lol!!!:D I'm only kidding buddy. You da man! :D

Thank you and lol :D
It's a cupcake table cloth, you know what girls are like with their cupcakes. Think mine took it a bit too far :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back