KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ thorn:
Thank you, sir! I think it looks cleaner in the photo than it does in person, but shhhhhhhh don't tell........:

(phisssssst. Hay over here.) Con's get so busy that a photo is all that they will to remember you by, And wonderful memory's they will be.

It looks awesome.:cool

Wow! incredible craftsmanship! your work is deffinatly paying off :) keep up the great work

Also were you able to get some marines vinyl at joan's fabrics? on my last visit I dont recal seeing any.
Thanks :). Yes, all of my marine vinyl was purchased at Joann's. Usually it's on a big roll by the home decor fabric section. I have noticed that they don't always have it in stock...or sometimes they only have weird colors...like pink and baby green. Who needs pink and baby green marine vinyl?!? Anyway, I think you can probably ask them to order more if they don't have it.

I cant even express how awsome this build is. your attention to detail is baffiling. your ab plate looks awsome but can we see it with the undersuit underneath it? Im sure it will look amazing.
Thank you! I'll probably finish up the undersuit stomach area next, so I'll show the ab plate with it once that's wrapped up. It'll look cooler that way than with the weird "sharpie scribbles everywhere" current version :p

(phisssssst. Hay over here.) Con's get so busy that a photo is all that they will to remember you by, And wonderful memory's they will be.

It looks awesome.:cool

Hahaha, thanks dude.

-----

Alrighty...let's get down to business... it's Update Time :)

I finished up my cod belt today, hurray! I decided modding pep files confuses me more than just doing it from scratch, so I've been continuing with my freehand method. Usually I just sketch out a basic flat view of the piece, then cut it apart into the different foam layers.

This is what the cod front, back and side pouch started out as on paper. They're symmetrical pieces, so I only drew half and cut along the fold:

Post_Sketches_00.jpg

And what it became all together:

Post_Four_00-1.jpg

Sadly, my mannequin's rib cage/shoulders are just enough bigger than mine that my chest piece doesn't fit her :(. No suit-up for me today, either...my guy is out right now and he usually takes the photos (my camera's self-timer likes to have issues focusing). Oh well.

I also added a buckle on the side, so that I can get the belt on and off easily without having to worry about tears:

Post_Buckle_00.jpg

This time, I carved out a recessed area for the buckle so that it would sit more flush than the ones on the chest piece.

-----

Check back next time and I should be able to show everything together...along with, perhaps, a real stomach area for the undersuit. At least, that's the plan...unless I decide to do the thighs :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow girl that it some awesome work there. I love how precise and clean your work is. Look forward to another update :)

Looking very good! You should really make some tutorials on how you construct the various pieces.

Also, combined with the mannequin that belt looks like it's straight out of some `70s sci-fi show like Space 1999 :)
I know you live in separate countries, but a group photo of you, Roxy and Drack all suited up would be beyond cool!

You know what Vargatom I really wish we could. I have often thought the same thing, it would be so awesome and as a photographer I would love setting those shots up :)

your attention to detail is incredible and I am truly envious of your workmanship. Your build is going fantastic, I was never a huge fan of foam but your armor is really looking fantastic. Keep it up.

Kudos! Love the undersuit! I tried my hand at sewing a costume for my daughter.. just no good at it. hehe. Love your attention to detail.

Like I always say.. "Do it once, do it right!"

Wow looking really great. Cant wait to see pictures of you suited up :) Keep up the excellent work

It's so clean and pretty! I second the request for a tutorial of your build-process. I'm sure there are tons of little techniques we could learn from you!

TwT Such awesome foam work. I'm so proud that you carry on the tradition so expertly well. May the Foam be with you!

Wow girl that it some awesome work there. I love how precise and clean your work is. Look forward to another update :)
Thanks dude :). I'll try to get another update soon, but I have a feeling this next one may take longer than usual. Vinyl has a way of slowing me down...plus I'm debating a trip to Disneyland this weekend :p...

Looking very good! You should really make some tutorials on how you construct the various pieces.

Also, combined with the mannequin that belt looks like it's straight out of some `70s sci-fi show like Space 1999 :)
I know you live in separate countries, but a group photo of you, Roxy and Drack all suited up would be beyond cool!

Thanks :). If a few more people seem interested in a tutorial I could try to figure something out. As for the belt...hahaha...it does totally looks sci fi retro on the mannequin. And yeah, it would be pretty awesome to get a bunch of foam suits together. Too bad Drack is so far away. Someone really needs to invent a teleporter already...

your attention to detail is incredible and I am truly envious of your workmanship. Your build is going fantastic, I was never a huge fan of foam but your armor is really looking fantastic. Keep it up.
:D Thank you. It's all about just taking your time, and whatever material you're comfortable with!

this is all freehand?!
My god, pure talent. It looks amazing
Thank you :). Yeah, it's all freehand except for a little bit of the chest front. I think my brain must be wired odd :p...I abandoned using the pep because it was confusing me more.

Kudos! Love the undersuit! I tried my hand at sewing a costume for my daughter.. just no good at it. hehe. Love your attention to detail.

Like I always say.. "Do it once, do it right!"
Thanks! You could always give sewing another try :p. My first attempts at sewing were quite frightening, to say the least.

so neat!!! very high quality building!
Thanks dude :)

Wow looking really great. Cant wait to see pictures of you suited up :) Keep up the excellent work
:D Thanks! I'm dying to finish the stomach part of the undersuit. It's driving me crazy to kind of know what it looks like together, but kind of not!

It's so clean and pretty! I second the request for a tutorial of your build-process. I'm sure there are tons of little techniques we could learn from you!
Thanks! I'm not sure I'm really doing anything different from other foam builders, but if people are interested in a tutorial then I could try to put something together. It sounds like Drack is working on a foam tutorial that will cover a lot, so I'll have to wait and see if there's anything different I could contribute.

TwT Such awesome foam work. I'm so proud that you carry on the tradition so expertly well. May the Foam be with you!
Hahahaha :D. Yessssssssssss. Foam rules!!!

-----

Until next time....keep buildin' guys :)

Thanks! I'm not sure I'm really doing anything different from other foam builders, but if people are interested in a tutorial then I could try to put something together. It sounds like Drack is working on a foam tutorial that will cover a lot, so I'll have to wait and see if there's anything different I could contribute.

Your foam building just seems to always come out so clean, I'm sure there's a technique or two that you're using that just isn't as obvious to the rest of us. I'm going to be starting my own foam work soon, so the more information for me to soak up the better! :p

@ Sangheilioz:
:) If drack's tutorial doesn't cover my methods, then I'll look into putting something together. PS foam = awesome :p

-----

Whew... I didn't think I was going to be able to have an update tonight, but somehow I managed to squeeze in more build time than expected. So.... UPDATE TIME!!! :)

I finally (almost) wrapped up the stomach area on the undersuit...at least enough to put it on. I had a hard time deciding how I wanted to construct the stupid thing...and how much padding I wanted to add to the stomach...but in the end I decided to sacrifice a bit of detail for some comfort. Frown face, I know, but I think (or hope) I'll be glad I did it when I'm wearing everything for a prolonged period of time...

I was originally planning on doing a lot more vinyl and depth, but I realized it would start to get really hot (as I learned from my shorts) and restrict my movement too much. Also, just from an aesthetic standpoint, I was worried about thickening up the waist too much without adding even more padding to the hips. After all, Kat does have a lady silhouette :p

But enough blabbin'... here's the suit up:
Post_4_00-1.jpg

And a close up:
Post_CloseUp.jpg

I still have to finish closing the seams on the side pads and top stitch/cut the zipper to length...and of course attach the right arm...and the spine...but it's getting there :).

-----
I have no idea what I'll be working on next. So... surprise!

Last edited by a moderator:
Saweeet!!! Sorry...wiping...up......the...........drool :p
But seriously it is totally awesomesauce! Everything is coming together so nicely and your skill shows in its custom tailoring to you! Again Bravo girlie!!! :D

Its so... *Sniffle* Beautiful! I hope my suit turns out HALF as good as this one!!!! Seriously you have some extreme talent with this stuff. I can imagine having a knowledge of sewing can help a lot with building these things, maybe I should learn the craft... anyway, Great job! I'm looking forward to more updates!

I would say that this definitely definitely deserves to be moved to the elite section upon completion. Definitely.

Woo! Look at your lady spartan hips! XD
And totally agree with Brandon. Your work is exceptional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back