Lemonade's Halo Reach Foam Build WIP

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by Lemonade, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

1_snTXFElFuQLSFDnvZKJ6IA.png

That's how I've been feeling this whole build.

But good news! I'm feeling more accomplished now that I've completely finished the forearm!

I decided to just go for it. I went a little heavy on the weathering, and I'm hoping I'll get the hang of it for the other pieces, otherwise I'm going to be an exceptionally seasoned Spartan.

Here's the forearm before and after all the filling, sealing and painting:

I've also started working on the codpiece. So far so good. Hoping to get it finished by the end of this weekend.

2. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Another Update!

I built the codpiece!

I didn't expect to finish it so fast, but I think the female pep file is a lot simpler than the male. I also got a little too eager and took pictures wearing it before I added the last bit of craft foam on the sides:

And here's how I split it and attached it back together:

I've got four small rare earth magnets in there, and a velcro strap on the most stressed part. It holds really well and is super easy to take on and off.

This coming week, I tackle the chest piece. It's the piece I'm the most worried about, with the exception of the helmet, which is the only other piece I need to make. Here we go!

3. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi Sr Member

I believe the proper terminology is 'space diaper' :p
    Looks great.
    Good luck on the chest and... Dun dun dun... the helmet!

4. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Haha excuse my incorrect terminology. And thanks!

PaiganBoi and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  5. zachturner009

zachturner009 Active Member

Wow paint looks just like your ummm I guess "prototype" render, well the cool picture that I don't know how to do.

6. Beemo8bit

Beemo8bit Jr Member

My chest piece is giving me grey hairs, but looking at what you've done so far you should be fine! Looks good! And I like the suspenders idea, I might steal that...

7. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Thanks! Painting is my favorite part of building armor, and I did the rendering in Photoshop

Thank you! That makes me feel better. Yeah, I didn't have suspenders for my first build, and I was constantly having to adjust my thigh pieces. I stole the idea from other Spartans, and it works great. They're called military suspenders, and I got them for about $10 on Amazon if you decide to try it.

8. zachturner009

zachturner009 Active Member

I walked around in my armor for like 11 hours with my idea, so just made a nylon belt with one buckle and the thighs had a "loop" that I just lace the belt and tighten it aroind my hips, stayed in the place the whole time and the actual waist piece was a snug piece so just left it floating, made it crazy easy to sit down.

Lemonade likes this.
  9. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Update!

I made the chest!

I wasn't sure this piece would ever get done. Each time I thought I was almost done, there was always more detail that needed to be added. It took two weeks of working every day to get this thing done, as well as two accidentally stabbed fingers.

Here's the chest piece on me:

I think it looks a little small, but that's just the way it's going to have to be, because I am not remaking this piece. At least not any time soon.

I've also added straps on the chest piece to hold up my biceps.

I know that cut looks jagged. I cut the undersuit looking part on the shoulder of the chest piece after I had glued it on to help it fit better. I plan on sanding it down later.

So yeah, that's my chest piece! I'm pretty proud of the level of detail I was able to achieve. I think it's the nicest looking piece I've made so far. Next is the helmet, which I'm going to try to make as I begin plastidipping and painting the other pieces. If the helmet ends up taking too long, I'll have to go to the two cons coming up without it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  10. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi Sr Member

The chest looks great. I agree that it does look small, especially from behind. It also looks like it is sitting a little high.
    Could this be a result of being the female chest rig? I haven't really compared the two versions so, I could be wrong.

11. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

I'm not sure, I think it's just a result of it being small. Looks like the only difference between the male and female is that the female chest piece is more narrow. I agree it looks even smaller on the back. I'm hoping that after adding the spine, it'll fill that area in more and maybe help it not look so sad.

12. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO & BCO 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

It's definitely smaller on the female character model so I think you're good. Once you have the biceps/shoulders on it'll bulk you up and you'll start feeling more like a walking refrigerator. The more narrow chest piece will also help with arm range of motion so it's a blessing rather than a concern in my opinion.

Looking good trooper!

PaiganBoi and Lemonade like this.
  13. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Thanks! That makes me feel better about it! I've been low key stressing out about it.

PaiganBoi and TurboCharizard like this.
  14. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

Don't stress too hard. It looks fantastic. Adding the spine and undersuit will help it look more filled out as well. Keep up the work!

Lemonade and TurboCharizard like this.
  15. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

IMG_20181001_213253393.jpg
    Happy Halo-ween!

I can't believe I've had that helmet for all these years and this is the first time I thought to do this.

Update!

So I started working on the Reach helmet, but I quickly realized that I might not have time to finish it and the rest of my armor before Oct 20. So the plan is to spend the time I have on finishing up the body armor, and I'll make the helmet (and a DMR, which I'm excited about) starting November.

This means I'll most likely have to go to the next con or two without a helmet, which is just like the first con I went to in my first suit. We didn't have time to finish our helmets, so my friend and I painted our armor to be Sister and Tex.

FB_IMG_1538972050322.jpg

Going without a helmet isn't preferable, but it can still be a lot of fun.

So instead of working on the helmet, I've applied the Quick Seal on all the pieces and began applying the Plastidip. Here's photographic evidence of my progress.

Since I come home from work only an hour before the sun sets, I made this super smart light diffuser with an umbrella and tinfoil to use when it gets too dark out.

overcome.jpg

I also revisited my giant clown shoes because I hated how big they were, and thanks to the magic of knives, I was able to make them smaller!

I also busted out the sewing needle and adjusted my gloves and now they fit my hands! (Mostly)

So I got a couple little projects done, and I've got some more to work on in the coming weeks!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    TurboCharizard and Sean Anwalt like this.
  16. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Update

Behold!! Armor!

I haven't posted in about 3 weeks due to the insane amount of painting I've been doing. And it didn't help that it rained for a full week in that time! But I did manage to get everything painted and lights installed just in time for East Texas Rose Comic Con! And it paid off-- we won the cosplay contest! I wish I had gotten a picture of my husband and me together at the con in our armor, but I totally forgot! We also didn't end up going to the con in Dallas, since it would have been two cons in a row, we didn't have anyone else to go with, and I wouldn't have finished my armor in time anyway.

But back to armor stuff. I took a couple of notes when looking at the awesome work of TurboCharizard and attempted to cut out my own decals from painter's tape. I'm guessing my decals were a little too small to do this properly, since the paint leaked through a bit, but it wasn't anything a very tiny brush armed with cyan paint couldn't fix:

Here's a close up of my Magnum on my thigh piece because I think it's super cool! And you can see I stole the idea of adding a message to my weapon from TurboCharizard.

The magnets held well, as long as I didn't bump into anything .. Which was a problem. So I'm planning on adding a strap with a buckle to keep it in place. It won't be as easy to access it quickly, but when I make a DMR, I won't have much of a reason to need it quickly.

Also, I'm having trouble uploading a video of my lights in action, but they flash in an alternating pattern! When I initially started looking into lights, I noticed a really great deal on some pre-programed Christmas lights, and it sparked an idea I immediately fell in love with: what's better than static lights? Flashing lights! I'm so happy I was able to implement them into my chest piece.

So there's my armor so far! I'm going to take a much needed break for a bit, and then I'm hoping to get these things done in the spring: helmet, neck seal, spine, fabric stomach detail, DMR, and remake the shins.

Thanks for following along!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  17. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Active Member

Haha fight me irl. I love it, and the lemonade decal on the chest is really cool and unique! I may have to steal that...

Great work! Can't wait to see that helmet

Sean Anwalt and Lemonade like this.
  18. TurboCharizard

Without a helmet I get a Ghost in the Shell: First Assault vibe and I'm all about it. The armour looks rad Lemonade and all the little bits of personalization really make this build Stang out.

19. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

This really turned out great, lemonade! Too bad we can't get the video. I like the lemonade decal styling you did. It looks awesome!

Lemonade and TurboCharizard like this.
  20. Mchief89

Mchief89 New Member

WOW! that looks amazing! halo reach is my favorite.

Lemonade likes this.
  21. Beemo8bit

Beemo8bit Jr Member

Fantastic, well done!

Lemonade likes this.
  22. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Thanks everyone!

While working on this armor, I’m reminded of the build process I went through with my first suit. It was an interesting time in my life, and it definitely helped shape me into who I am today. Here’s a bit of heartwarming reflection for you guys. I know it’s a bit long, but I can’t help it! It’s storytime with Lemonade!

In June 2011, my best friend Diandra and I had both recently graduated high school, and we were quickly making our way through the seasons of Red vs Blue together. This was the setting for our seamingly crazy year of armor building.

Diandra and I were already cosplay partners. When choosing our cosplays, we made sure our characters made sense together, like Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny from Pokemon, or the twins Luki and Noki from DOGS.

FB_IMG_1540846872007.jpg

FB_IMG_1540843806736.jpg

So when our current obsession was RvB, Diandra suggested cosplaying from that. Grif and Simmons were our favorite duo. Being the sensible one of course, I told her it was absolutely impossible. But Diandra was the visionary of our little team, and even though neither of us had ever made armor, she didn’t give up. Some short time later, she restated her desire to make Halo armor along with a mini presentation of her research. That’s when I learned about the 405th.

I think back then EVA foam wasn’t as common of a way to make armor as it is now, and paper is easier on noobs, so we decided on the pepakura process. I remember her telling me about a guy named Longshot who made armor the same way we planned on making ours. After seeing his armor, I wondered how in the world that level of crafting was even possible. And after making my own suit, I still feel that way.

FB_IMG_1540847751275.jpg

With the wealth of information found on the 405th, we began our process. However, as word got around and people saw that two inexperienced little girls were trying to make full suits of armor, and out of paper no less, we gained a few skeptics who clearly didn’t think our plan would work. Among them were our fathers.

Since we both attended community college during this time, we lived with our parents. My dad asked what the full plan was, and after explaining to him that resin and fiberglass would harden the paper, he said that it sounded like it wouldn’t work and suggested that everyone on the website were part of an elaborate prank that would cause others to spend countless hours folding paper. Her dad straight up said it wouldn’t work and we were wasting our time. However, we continued to cut, score, fold and glue.

FB_IMG_1540847779209.jpg

FB_IMG_1540847790811.jpg

When we were ready to begin the hardening process, we took a trip to Menard’s to purchase the resin. However, even this simple task would prove to be difficult. Upon entering Menard’s, we were immediately approached by an employee who seemed to assume the two young girls must be lost. When telling him what we were looking for, we found that the employee, who works at a hardware store, had never in his life heard of fiberglass resin. “What are you going to use it for?” “Well, the way we’re going to use it isn’t how it’s supposed to be used...” “What’s it normally used for?” “...We don’t know.”

After more questioning, we finally gave in and told him we were going to apply it to paper to harden it. He told us to try paper mache. No thanks. He said he’s never heard of anything else like that. Maybe try a craft store. We told him again we’re not using the resin for how it’s normally used. He walked over to the paint section and suggested some kind of spray paint, asking the employee there if he had heard of anything called fiberglass resin “that hardens paper.” Again, we received a big “Nope.” After a frustrating half hour of searching for the resin with an employee who looked at us like we were crazy, we finally left empty handed.

I think that incident happened before either of us had a smartphone. Thank goodness for modern technology. Well, we obviously did more research and learned that fiberglass resin is used on cars, and I developed the habit of walking into hardware stores briskly to avoid employee interaction, heading straight for the automotive section. Some time later, we were in Menard’s again picking up another can of resin, walking to the correct section, when Diandra began scanning the aisles with determination in her eyes, clearly looking for the same employee. “Sorry Diandra, this is a different Menard’s.” Her expression turned to that of annoyance.

FB_IMG_1540847835053.jpg

FB_IMG_1540847847937.jpg

Above, you can see us beginning the process of applying the resin. Below is a picture of us after first learning the dangers of fiberglassing followed by a picture of us after a few weeks of becoming comfortable with fiberglassing. From complete paranoia to casual handling.

FB_IMG_1540847861555.jpg

FB_IMG_1540847939959.jpg

After a few months, we were joined by our friend Alyssa who decided to make Caboose armor. We then became the three crazy girls making Halo suits to our group of cosplay friends.

FB_IMG_1540847979978.jpg

When we first started, we were met with a lot of skepticism, but as we neared the end, even our biggest skeptic jumped on board the Halo hype train when he saw that the fiberglass actually worked. Here’s Diandra’s dad helping us sand and dremel:

FB_IMG_1540848012278.jpg

And when we finally finished, we proved to everyone that three inexperienced girls with a lot of perseverance and even more fiberglass resin could create three full suits of awesome looking spartan armor.

FB_IMG_1540844097838.jpg

FB_IMG_1540844184506.jpg

While we did have a huge number of supporters throughout our process, we also had people telling us we couldn’t do it. To be able to prove those people wrong was an amazing feeling, and the amount of dedication needed for such a project gave me self-confidence used in other areas of my life.

Now that I’m almost done making another suit, this time around there wasn’t a single person telling me I couldn’t do it. Everyone had seen the result of my first effort, so they had no reason to doubt. Therefore, the only one telling me I couldn’t do it --was me.

Sure, I knew from my first suit that I had the dedication required, but this new material, EVA foam, required skill. Skill I wasn’t convinced I had. The outside skepticism from the first build became inward in the second.

Despite my own doubts, I did it anyway. Several times during the building process, I would look at armor others have made and get discouraged that mine didn't look that good. But then I began to realize that building armor isn't about that. I'm confident that I did the best I could do, and for that I am very proud. And in the end, my armor turned out even better than I had hoped for!

If I could give one piece of advice to those just starting out, I would say this: don’t compare yourself to others. Look at where you started and be proud of the progress you’ll make in learning a new skill.

Just keep building!

IMG_20181027_114313165.jpg

23. TurboCharizard

If anyone ever doubts you, they can fight you IRL.

I love that shout out to LongShot X by the way. Dude is a legend.