Lemonade's Halo Reach Foam Build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have questions for anyone willing to answer:

1. What's the best cost-effective option for lighting in armor? I don't have any electrical experience. In the past, I've just used small flashlights or twist-on lights that I've duct taped to the inside of my armor for a 1-con use. This time, I want something more permanent, but I don't know what to buy. I've done a search on the forums for "lights" and "LEDs," but it wasn't very helpful. It'd be great if I could have all wires in the chest piece lead to one switch so that I don't have to turn each light on individually.

2. I want to install lights in all or most of the places they're supposed to go, but I'm having a hard time finding a good reference photo for the back of the chest piece. I was wondering if anyone had one.

3. How does everyone solve the problem of people seeing your face through your visor, especially when flash photography is involved? With my Grif suit, I installed the darkest shade of automobile window tint to the inside of the visor. It definitely fixed the problem, but my visibility took a huge hit. I'm fine in a well-lit convention hall, but if I enter a dark room or go outside when the sun is going down, I can barely see anything. It's like wearing exceptionally dark sunglasses. I was wondering if anyone had a better solution.

1. I'm a fan of not burning through batteries but I also have computer engineering and a buttload of circuit design practice so I might be a bad person to ask. My suit runs off a single 5V USB source in the form of power banks that get swapped out every ~4 hours of wear. I get big grab bags of bare LEDs and resistors so it works out to around $30 in electronics components and it's more customizable than the battery pack powered LEDs.

2. References are a bit of an interesting thing, I just went straight into the game and capped some cutscenes. Then I went into Inkscape and annotated my patterns to show where I added in lights.
34131814_10155175345287574_8083133433234063360_n.png 34266727_10160321268950431_805975446595305472_n.png 34434398_10160321268945431_5654440233207332864_n.png 34509848_10160321269025431_1251687387134689280_n.png 34688203_10160321269060431_6734639308608634880_n.png

3.Visibility is a fun issue on less common shaped visors. I'm on Mk. 5 of my visor right now so let's see how this mirror chrome version works out.

1. I'm a fan of not burning through batteries but I also have computer engineering and a buttload of circuit design practice so I might be a bad person to ask. My suit runs off a single 5V USB source in the form of power banks that get swapped out every ~4 hours of wear. I get big grab bags of bare LEDs and resistors so it works out to around $30 in electronics components and it's more customizable than the battery pack powered LEDs.

2. References are a bit of an interesting thing, I just went straight into the game and capped some cutscenes. Then I went into Inkscape and annotated my patterns to show where I added in lights.
View attachment 259263 View attachment 259264 View attachment 259265 View attachment 259266 View attachment 259267

3.Visibility is a fun issue on less common shaped visors. I'm on Mk. 5 of my visor right now so let's see how this mirror chrome version works out.

Thank you so much! That is all very helpful!

Your description of your lighting sounds kind of complicated and reminds me of my first time trying to learn Minecraft redstone. But hey, I got those sticky pistons working eventually, maybe I can learn this too.

Update!

I got sick with a bad cold last weekend, which slowed my progress, but I'm better now! And I've built both biceps and shoulder attachments.

I'm not worried about the detail on the top of the left bicep, since it's going to be covered by the ODST attachment. I've got a short strap with a magnet on the inside of the ODST, which attaches to a magnet on the bicep (picture below). I figured it would give me more flexibility in my arms if I need it. The top of the attachment will be held on with the normal strap and buckle to the chest piece, so the magnetic part is to help it stay in the right place.

I also did some battle damage! Once I realized I wanted battle damage, it didn't take long to decide what the damage would be from: a freaking dinosaur. So here we have the results of a velociraptor attack:

I think I'm going to add another claw scratch on the front of my left thigh and on the back of my chest piece, when I make that.

And here's everything I've made so far on me at the same time!

It's exciting to see it all come together. I think I'm going to try applying the Kwik Seal to a forearm, sealing it with Plastidip, and painting the base coat, which will hopefully inspire me enough to take on the three important (and remaining) pieces: cod, chest and helmet.

One more thing: due to being completely insane, I've decided to try and move up my timetable by one week. October 20 is the Saturday of Dallas Fan Days, and some of our friends are going, so... of course I have to go. However, I don't want to rush the suit, so if it doesn't get to be wearable by then, that's fine.

Update!

I got sick with a bad cold last weekend, which slowed my progress, but I'm better now! And I've built both biceps and shoulder attachments.

I'm not worried about the detail on the top of the left bicep, since it's going to be covered by the ODST attachment. I've got a short strap with a magnet on the inside of the ODST, which attaches to a magnet on the bicep (picture below). I figured it would give me more flexibility in my arms if I need it. The top of the attachment will be held on with the normal strap and buckle to the chest piece, so the magnetic part is to help it stay in the right place.

I also did some battle damage! Once I realized I wanted battle damage, it didn't take long to decide what the damage would be from: a freaking dinosaur. So here we have the results of a velociraptor attack:

I think I'm going to add another claw scratch on the front of my left thigh and on the back of my chest piece, when I make that.

And here's everything I've made so far on me at the same time!

It's exciting to see it all come together. I think I'm going to try applying the Kwik Seal to a forearm, sealing it with Plastidip, and painting the base coat, which will hopefully inspire me enough to take on the three important (and remaining) pieces: cod, chest and helmet.

One more thing: due to being completely insane, I've decided to try and move up my timetable by one week. October 20 is the Saturday of Dallas Fan Days, and some of our friends are going, so... of course I have to go. However, I don't want to rush the suit, so if it doesn't get to be wearable by then, that's fine.
Nice work dude, it's getting there

1_snTXFElFuQLSFDnvZKJ6IA.png

That's how I've been feeling this whole build.

But good news! I'm feeling more accomplished now that I've completely finished the forearm!

I decided to just go for it. I went a little heavy on the weathering, and I'm hoping I'll get the hang of it for the other pieces, otherwise I'm going to be an exceptionally seasoned Spartan.

Here's the forearm before and after all the filling, sealing and painting:

I've also started working on the codpiece. So far so good. Hoping to get it finished by the end of this weekend.

Another Update!

I built the codpiece!

I didn't expect to finish it so fast, but I think the female pep file is a lot simpler than the male. I also got a little too eager and took pictures wearing it before I added the last bit of craft foam on the sides:

And here's how I split it and attached it back together:

I've got four small rare earth magnets in there, and a velcro strap on the most stressed part. It holds really well and is super easy to take on and off.

This coming week, I tackle the chest piece. It's the piece I'm the most worried about, with the exception of the helmet, which is the only other piece I need to make. Here we go!

View attachment 259849

That's how I've been feeling this whole build.

But good news! I'm feeling more accomplished now that I've completely finished the forearm!

I decided to just go for it. I went a little heavy on the weathering, and I'm hoping I'll get the hang of it for the other pieces, otherwise I'm going to be an exceptionally seasoned Spartan.

Here's the forearm before and after all the filling, sealing and painting:

I've also started working on the codpiece. So far so good. Hoping to get it finished by the end of this weekend.
Wow paint looks just like your ummm I guess "prototype" render, well the cool picture that I don't know how to do.

My chest piece is giving me grey hairs, but looking at what you've done so far you should be fine! Looks good! And I like the suspenders idea, I might steal that...

Wow paint looks just like your ummm I guess "prototype" render, well the cool picture that I don't know how to do.

Thanks! Painting is my favorite part of building armor, and I did the rendering in Photoshop

My chest piece is giving me grey hairs, but looking at what you've done so far you should be fine! Looks good! And I like the suspenders idea, I might steal that...

Thank you! That makes me feel better. Yeah, I didn't have suspenders for my first build, and I was constantly having to adjust my thigh pieces. I stole the idea from other Spartans, and it works great. They're called military suspenders, and I got them for about $10 on Amazon if you decide to try it.

I walked around in my armor for like 11 hours with my idea, so just made a nylon belt with one buckle and the thighs had a "loop" that I just lace the belt and tighten it aroind my hips, stayed in the place the whole time and the actual waist piece was a snug piece so just left it floating, made it crazy easy to sit down.

Update!

I made the chest!

I wasn't sure this piece would ever get done. Each time I thought I was almost done, there was always more detail that needed to be added. It took two weeks of working every day to get this thing done, as well as two accidentally stabbed fingers.

Here's the chest piece on me:

I think it looks a little small, but that's just the way it's going to have to be, because I am not remaking this piece. At least not any time soon.

I've also added straps on the chest piece to hold up my biceps.

I know that cut looks jagged. I cut the undersuit looking part on the shoulder of the chest piece after I had glued it on to help it fit better. I plan on sanding it down later.

So yeah, that's my chest piece! I'm pretty proud of the level of detail I was able to achieve. I think it's the nicest looking piece I've made so far. Next is the helmet, which I'm going to try to make as I begin plastidipping and painting the other pieces. If the helmet ends up taking too long, I'll have to go to the two cons coming up without it.

Last edited:
The chest looks great. I agree that it does look small, especially from behind. It also looks like it is sitting a little high.
Could this be a result of being the female chest rig? I haven't really compared the two versions so, I could be wrong.

The chest looks great. I agree that it does look small, especially from behind. It also looks like it is sitting a little high.
Could this be a result of being the female chest rig? I haven't really compared the two versions so, I could be wrong.

I'm not sure, I think it's just a result of it being small. Looks like the only difference between the male and female is that the female chest piece is more narrow. I agree it looks even smaller on the back. I'm hoping that after adding the spine, it'll fill that area in more and maybe help it not look so sad.

It's definitely smaller on the female character model so I think you're good. Once you have the biceps/shoulders on it'll bulk you up and you'll start feeling more like a walking refrigerator. The more narrow chest piece will also help with arm range of motion so it's a blessing rather than a concern in my opinion.

Looking good trooper!

It's definitely smaller on the female character model so I think you're good. Once you have the biceps/shoulders on it'll bulk you up and you'll start feeling more like a walking refrigerator. The more narrow chest piece will also help with arm range of motion so it's a blessing rather than a concern in my opinion.

Looking good trooper!

Thanks! That makes me feel better about it! I've been low key stressing out about it.

IMG_20181001_213253393.jpg

Happy Halo-ween!

I can't believe I've had that helmet for all these years and this is the first time I thought to do this.

Update!

So I started working on the Reach helmet, but I quickly realized that I might not have time to finish it and the rest of my armor before Oct 20. So the plan is to spend the time I have on finishing up the body armor, and I'll make the helmet (and a DMR, which I'm excited about) starting November.

This means I'll most likely have to go to the next con or two without a helmet, which is just like the first con I went to in my first suit. We didn't have time to finish our helmets, so my friend and I painted our armor to be Sister and Tex.

FB_IMG_1538972050322.jpg

Going without a helmet isn't preferable, but it can still be a lot of fun.

So instead of working on the helmet, I've applied the Quick Seal on all the pieces and began applying the Plastidip. Here's photographic evidence of my progress.

Since I come home from work only an hour before the sun sets, I made this super smart light diffuser with an umbrella and tinfoil to use when it gets too dark out.

overcome.jpg

I also revisited my giant clown shoes because I hated how big they were, and thanks to the magic of knives, I was able to make them smaller!

I also busted out the sewing needle and adjusted my gloves and now they fit my hands! (Mostly)

So I got a couple little projects done, and I've got some more to work on in the coming weeks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back