MacBook Air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac's are always usually cool, because they have intel processors, but still, I agree it being so thin would get hot after a while. meh, I dont want a laptop that cost over 1000 dollars and has the same tech as alaptop for half the price. Sure the cheaper one may use more power and be slightly thicker, but It gets the job done in the end.

Adding a 64gig solid state drive to the air cost 3000 dollars, a rip off.

Kotaku's just reviewed it... not very positive:

I was really disappointed with the MacBook Air. Really, really disappointed. Like, the product doesn't make any sense! No ethernet port?! Can't change the battery?! No disc drive?! Utter nonsense. What happens if I am on a plane and can't recharge? What if I want to, you know, watch DVDs or *gasp* listen to CDs? Either Apple is totally out of touch with consumers or just eager to cram other products down people throats. I'd prefer to have all that in the actual machine, instead of having to buy a bunch of peripherals for The World's Thinnest Laptop and then have to keep track of said peripherals. But hey, that's just me.

http://kotaku.com/345409/hatin-on-macbook-air

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's pretty much ridiculous that it doesn't have a disc drive. I mean, seriously, a CD drive would do nothing more than make the front the same thickness as the back, which in my book (or notebook heh heh) is definitely a good thing. I don't like wedge-shaped notebooks. Adn only 3 ports, wtf? Only one USB? What if I want to plug in a mouse and my iPod at the same time?

This is like the iPod touch. Sounds cool, but is almost completely useless for anything but the specific cool part.

I bet you could snap the screen so easily. Looks cool though, Definatley not worth the price. Hopefully the Macbook will come down in price now. :lol:

It's Ok Sean, all you need to do is buy a external DVD drive which takes up too much space on an air plane, lug it around like a fool just to watch DVD's and listen to music. Then when your battery goes bad, thats ok too, all you need to do is buy a new macbook. How do you install programs and games? Why bother? Everything you need is in the OS.

This is why I buy laptops for 500-800 dollar range, the specs are similar or same, and I get a ton more crap out of it.

But just remember 1 thing......my laptop which is 4 years old now, has an Ethernet port ;p

Aside from peripheral problems, this seems more tuned for a casual user with extra money that does word processing and casual photo manipulation. I;d go with a Alienware since I need a lot more processing and ram power and heavy peripherals. Soild state memory is pretty crazy, to think in a couple years it could be more affordable.

Current hard drives with moving parts inside are still fast enough, they are very very fast as long as your PC has the ability to work it. Though it could fail because there are moving parts inside, it is rare for a hard drive to die or stop working unless something triggers it. I have many PC's laying around my house in use, and only 1 hard drive has ever died, and that was an old one that was maybe 7 years old, maybe 8. Solid state though faster, and fail safe, it still cost a heck of a lot just for a small amount of storage.

i saw this on youtube, made me laugh.

Yeah, I watched the commercial on apple.com last night, and I thought it was decent (I dont prefer macs) until the dude said it had no optical drive.

It's ok, apple made a 300 dollar mannilla folder with the apple logo on it. That will protect your macbook air. A paper folder for 300 dollars. When you drop your macbook inside the folder, dont blame apple for the damages, just go buy a new macbook air. Dont forget the external dvd drive, soldi state 64gig drive, and other accessories you need to haul with you.

Next year's headline: Apple introduces the MacBook Touch. Who needs tactile response when you can type on a fully digital, reconfigurable keyboard! It's so thin, you'll snap it in half like a fortune cookie if you don't keep it in an armoured briefcase! Who needs ports or drives? Download everything you ever need from iTunes*!

*Note: the iLIFE is still in the beta stage and will not be available until Christmas 2009

Seriously, what's the point of this thing? I'd like to see some real improvements, not Apple's latest over-hyped, impractical gimmick.

It's nice, but the HD space is low.

I do agree with taking out the the disc drive, it is the next step. When Apple did away with the floppy drive people when nuts but apple was right ti kill it. I have not plugged an either net cable into my lap top for a few years now.

Plus most printers and the like can either be run via wireless net work or blue tooth. It's darring but it is moving in the right direction.

Garland said:
Next year's headline: Apple introduces the MacBook Touch. Who needs tactile response when you can type on a fully digital, reconfigurable keyboard! It's so thin, you'll snap it in half like a fortune cookie if you don't keep it in an armoured briefcase! Who needs ports or drives? Download everything you ever need from iTunes*!

*Note: the iLIFE is still in the beta stage and will not be available until Christmas 2009

Seriously, what's the point of this thing? I'd like to see some real improvements, not Apple's latest over-hyped, impractical gimmick.
Screw that, multi touch is already out of date to apple probably, they will make a holographic laptop screen running off LEDS and whatever to project onto. But A touch laptop I guess would be cool, only bad thing I dont like about stuff like that is right clicks are impossible, you have to hold down the touch screen for it to bring up the right click menu. Plus, typing is harder, I prefer my laptop/PC to have a keyboard with indents so I can feel each individual key and type as fast as I want. I type super fast, a touchscreen would just slow me down.

EDIT: I just remembered something, many companies are now making 3d lcd screens where you can see 3d images pop out at you without the need of 3d glasses, the next apple notebook may have a 3d screen in it. You know for gaming (like there are many games for mac's) but still something to consider for macbook's and all other major laptop producers.

You guys seem to be forgetting the fact that if you battery dies, you must pay one hundred and fifty something dollars to have it shipped back to Apple to get it replaced. You con't replace the battery yourself.

Personally, I hate apple computers, they're better off just being a portable music player company. Give them a few years and they would have spent so much money on "new" technology they'll have themselves runned into the ground in debt and have to get Microsoft to pay their way out again :p

I agree, the only cheap and universal product they have made was the ipod, it plays music and photos just fine and cost 300 dollars or less depending on what model you purchase.

After a slump in sales, Apple introduces the Macbook Air 2...now even thinner!

apple.jpg

Comes with lead based stylus and intuitive word processor. Also, transforms into airplanes.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back