Math Riddle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another math riddle for my Geometry class.

A man building a house forgets an important part of his project. He then calls a hardware store to order the missing item. He finds that 1 will cost him $2, and 2 will cost him $2, but 12 will cost him $4 and 144 will cost him $6.

What was the item he needed?

"An address number. Assuming that each digit costs $2, 1 and 2 would cost the same, but 12, having two digits, would cost $4, and likewise 144 would cost $6."

Quick Google search gave me that answer

Larven said:
"An address number. Assuming that each digit costs $2, 1 and 2 would cost the same, but 12, having two digits, would cost $4, and likewise 144 would cost $6."

Quick Google search gave me that answer

Pssh, well using Google is no fun. And I figured it out today at school. Thanks anyways!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vampyredh said:
ok here is a real math riddle and anyone who cheats I will know,

6-1=9 prove it I can

i give up i cant figure it out and i am pretty good at math. i gotta feeling it is a trick qeustion.

think outside the box don't look at the numbers think about them if you still haven't figured it out in an hour let me know I will give you the answer then

Vampyredh said:
think outside the box don't look at the numbers think about them if you still haven't figured it out in an hour let me know I will give you the answer then

I give up. Iam stumped. the first question was easy I think, I catch on to some stuff quickly.

oh is it like the reason for why 2+2=5 (don't ask me for the math unless i get paid for typing in number) ya know good old algebra 2

ILikeCats said:
Unless we're going to physically change the lines, I'm not sure that's possible.

Or we divide by 0.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every time you divide by zero, Chuck Norris kills another kitten!

..funny, but not good for forum -Adam

EDIT: Awwww... My reasons are all gone. =(

Was there ever an answer to the second riddle?

I am thinking it isn't as complicated as a photon's spin in quantum mechanics...so I am dismissing my first theory lol.

JangoFett140 said:
WAIT is it 6 through 1= 9? 6+5+4-3-2-1=9?? just something that crossed my mind

thats what i thought when i saw it

it doesnt add up though... does it
do it does, so it would work

I guess I let you guys stew long enough,

when I said think outside the box that meant try anything people have a habit of limiting themselves to only think about the number aspect in that question.

here is the long awaited for answer.

six - 1 = ix because you remove the first letter of the word six it then becomes ix ix is 9 in roman numerals.

then end get mad now and think it was really easy and you can really give people a headache when they try to figure it out lol.

Vampyredh said:
six - 1 = ix because you remove the first letter of the word six it then becomes ix ix is 9 in roman numerals.
then end get mad now and think it was really easy and you can really give people a headache when they try to figure it out lol.
I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.

Leadingspartan said:
If you have 10 fish and 8 drown, how many do you have left?
10, fish dont drown, silly.
Or, if you are being silly and your fish managed to drown somehow, you'd still have 10 fish, it's just that 8 are dead. - Ice

Vampyredh said:
I guess I let you guys stew long enough,

when I said think outside the box that meant try anything people have a habit of limiting themselves to only think about the number aspect in that question.

here is the long awaited for answer.

You evil bastard. I think something blew in my head when I read that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back