They're relatively lightweight for their size, but vary in weight based on infill percentage and other things like that. i know the AR is about 3-4 Lbs., which is a good balance between lightweight, and also having enough weight to actually FEEL like a hefty weapon.
And now, time for updates in the new year! next on the list of props being made, to go along with the spiker, is the Plasma Rifle!
Back to printing:
That's about 60% of it done, time for some assembly:
Back to printing to finish the rear:
And fully assembled!
Next up, round one of sanding and bondo work:
Fast forward through a few more rounds, and now it's time for the first layer of primer:
More sanding and priming... and sanding... and priming:
FINALLY the last layer of primer is on! now for taping, and the first layer of paint:
So, turns out, it's a bit difficult to find spray paint that looks just like a pearlescent blue-green-purple alien metal. i had to do quite a bit of searching to find a paint i was happy with, and i ended up with two options:
The first option: the base dark blue/purple basecoat, which would give it the more blue-ish color scheme from Halo Reach. Second option was adding the semi-transparent pink on top of that to give it a more classic covenant purple. i tested both on the painting table, since it was covered in the same dark gray primer that the plasma rifle is:
After mulling it over i decided on option one, base blue:
After that was dry, it was taped up again to get the silver:
And, finally, time for the money shot!
another finished prop!
ALSO, in case it wasn't obvious, i've made a LOT of props at this point! so many that there's no more table/desk space to hold all of them. so, after a pretty crafty idea and about $17 at home depot, i present to you... THE PROP WALL!
And it's newest addition, hung up for lovely display:
With the plasma rifle done, i wanted to balance things out in terms of UNSC vs Covenant weapons, so the next one was the Halo 5 BR
Assembly started, at about 70% completion:
Printing the last pieces:
And final assembly! next up, sanding!
After the first round of sanding, i got the magazine stuck in the mag well like an idiot, so i had to bring it over to the fab lab and use the super heavy vice to yank it out:
Some more glamor shots:
Next up, time for the first round of bondo:
Unfortunately, in experimenting with infill percentage, i ended up making the battle rifle EXTREMELY light. As in, the entire thing weighs less than a pound. It's bugging me enough that i've stopped work on it until i get time to carve open a few holes and pour resin into the body just to give it some weight. so until that happens, other props!