Oooh... I'm Pissed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude... this blows massively. You're absolutely right, that's complete bull$#!T. Civil agreement be damned, that manager obviously has no idea of the meaning of civil. Civil is helping the people whose homes you are responsible for in a timely manner, and not being a complete douchebag about it.

May you receive your compensation, and then some.

Thanks, buddy.

I'm going to call them back tomorrow to discuss this. I would imagine by then the property manager and book keeper will have had a chance to talk about what I'd told the maintenance guy earlier.

One way or another, I'm going to get this rediculous and unacceptable situation resolved to my satisfaction. I'm not one to just bend over backwards, take what they consider "acceptable" ($50.00? What an insult) and forget this ever happened.

In all the other apartments I've rented over the years, never have I had to deal with such disrespect or aggravation. Any time there was an issue elsewhere I've lived, management did the right thing and resolved it for me in a timely and proper manner.

I'm not going to stand for this, and by gawd they're going to know it.

As for right now, I'm done dealing with this BS for today. Again, I'm going to go home to the gf now and try to put this out of my mind for tonight, at least.

Oh my gosh, you handled that way better then I would.

Once again, I'm sorry this has happened to you and you're right, $50.00 That won't even cover half of the price of the food that went bad during this whole thing.

0_0 Holy shnee...

Since I don't live in Canada, and barely understand the way my own government works, I'm not even going to attempt to analyze this situation. :eek

Bottom line = this blows hardcore. I can't even imagine how hard it must have been to resist the urge to locate this guy and do many bad... bad... things to him with a large blunt instrument. I'm partial to golf clubs, but that might just be due to the fact that I enjoy playing with the seven wood on sandbox. :p

Good luck with the legal action. No doubt the Canadian System will come through for you.

Thanks, guys and gal. All of your support in this is much appreciated.

{Cortana said:
Damn dude, sorry to hear about all that. I really hope everything works out for you in the end. :)

I'm certain it will, and I'm now taking the appropriate steps to have it work out in my favour.

Shade said:
Oh my gosh, you handled that way better then I would.

Once again, I'm sorry this has happened to you and you're right, $50.00 That won't even cover half of the price of the food that went bad during this whole thing.

Well, I am a relatively easy-going kind of person most of the time. Takes a helluva lot to ruffle my feathers, so it's not often that I get upset over something.

That $50.00 "bribe" from property management is nothing but an insult imho, since as you said that doesn't even cover half the price of all the food that spoiled. And they think I'm going to be happy with that? They've got another thing coming, if they think that's the case.

HeavyGunner said:
0_0 Holy shnee...

Since I don't live in Canada, and barely understand the way my own government works, I'm not even going to attempt to analyze this situation. :eek

Bottom line = this blows hardcore. I can't even imagine how hard it must have been to resist the urge to locate this guy and do many bad... bad... things to him with a large blunt instrument. I'm partial to golf clubs, but that might just be due to the fact that I enjoy playing with the seven wood on sandbox. :p

Good luck with the legal action. No doubt the Canadian System will come through for you.

As frustrated as I was with the whole situation, and as much as I spewing not-so-nice words at them (to myself, not to them), I'm not the type to resort to physical violence. I tend to avoid that sort of confrontation wherever possible, and prefer to approach such matters in a more diplomatic way. Which I've tried to do with them, but they've decided to be difficult about it. So, I can be the same if they want.

Thanks again. Given what I know of the Landlord Tenant Act, and that I'm well within my rights to request proper compensation as a result of this poorly-handled situation, I'm confident it will work out in the end. It's just a matter of when (could be six weeks from now, hopefully sooner, that I get a hearing to state my case with the LTB).

EDIT: Been trying to call property management this morning to discuss compensation. Again, like yesterday, I'm not able to get a hold of them at the office number (keep getting their voicemail) or the manager's cell number. I'm wondering if they're seeing my phone number -- I've called them enough in the last week they probably recognize it by now -- and just aren't picking up. Figures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, at this point I've managed to fill in the T6 application in its entirety, in accordance with the instructions the LTB provided for filling in out on their website (where I downloaded the application).

This is how I described the situation to the LTB (Part 1 of the application just included my personal info; name, address, etc.):

PART 2: REASON FOR YOUR APPLICATION

I am applying because the landlord has not repaired or maintained the rental unit or the residential complex, or has not complied with health, safety, housing or maintenance standards.

Describe the problem, the date it began and whether it is ongoing:

On 08/19/09 I came home to find my fridge not working. I immediately called property management, who said they would call in a repair guy to look at it. That didn't happen until 08/21/09. He determined the compressor was shot, and would've ordered a replacement part, but found the model # and manufacturer's info weren't on the fridge. He said he would contact property management and let them know. Over the next five days, I had to continually call them for updates (not once did they call me to let me know what was going on; I was always the one to have to initiate contact). First, they thought they had an extra fridge on hand, but didn't. Then, they had to procure another one, then they had a problem trying to find someone to bring it over*. During this time, I had to stay over at my girlfriend's place just so I could eat daily, as I had no food at home nor the means to store it properly should I have bought more. Personally, my opinion is that property management was negligent in their responsibility to resolve this issue in a timely and efficient manner, and was not udnerstanding of the seriousness of the situation. As such, this was a gross inconvenience.

* The fridge was finally delivered on 08/27/09.

PART 3: REMEDIES

Shade the appropriate box to indicate which of the following orders you want the Board to make. Note: If the Board decides in your favour, it may decide to make a different order than what you choose below.

|X| 1. Order that the landlord must pay me a rent abatement of $XXX.XX. My current rent is $XXX.XX per |X| Month.

Explain how you determined the amount you are asking for:

I divided the rent amount ($XXX.XX) by 31 (days in August), which came to $XX.XX/day. I then multiplied that by 8 (days without a working fridge), which gave me the total of $XXX.XX, roughly a week's worth in rent (if dividing $XXX.XX by 4 weeks).

PART 3: REMEDIES (CONT'D)

If your property was damaged, destroyed or disposed of because of the landlord's failure to repair or maintain the rental unit or the complex, you can also ask the Board to remedy 2 in the order.

2. Order that the landlord must pay me compensation of $XXX.XX for my repair or replacement costs.

Describe how your property was damaged, destroyed or disposed of and explain how you determined the amount you are asking for:

Due to the faulty fridge unit, all of the food I had (which had been purchased just prior to this incident) spoiled. As such, it all had to be thrown out. The total cost of food was closer to $XXX.XX (that's how much I typically spend when grocery shopping), but as I can't recall the exact amount, thought it best to round down to the closest hundred.

And there you have it. I stated things very matter-of-fact, with no personal feelings evident therein. I think that puts it all in a fair perspective, and demonstrates how poorly property management handled this. Now I just have to take this down to the nearest LTB regional office and submit it (there's a $45.00 fee for applying, but I'm more than happy to pay it).

Like I said before here, I had a drafted my own "Reimbursement Agreement" (which the gf read, and thought I'd written it very proper) to be signed by both myself and the property manager, but as they now seem to be avoiding my calls after the fact, I'll simply have to take it to the next level.

Just a quick update for anyone still following this.

Yesterday I went to the nearest LTB office and submitted my T6 application. Didn't take to long to do, and the guy managed to schedule a hearing date for me right there. Granted, it's not until the beginning of next month, but at least I already know when it's going to happen.

Like everyone else I've recounted this situation to, the guy who served me also agreed I should go ahead and do this (he thought the way this was handled was simply inexcusable; he even suggested I try to get property management to reimbursement me for the $45.00 application fee). So, I think that pretty much clinches it, lol.

Afterward, I dropped off one copy of the application package at property management's office along with my rent cheque for this month (just put them both in the mail box; I just didn't want to see or deal with them).

The LTB employee I dealt with said that if property management contacts me before the scheduled hearing date to make a deal to let them know, and they'll close the case/application. Somehow, I don't really see them going to all that trouble.

I haven't received a call from either the manager or book keeper yet, so I figure they know they've been caught red-handed and don't have a legal leg to stand on. They know I'm holding them responsible for their shoddy conduct in this, and won't let them get away with it.

We'll see what happens exactly come next month.

Been about two days and this is all at a moot point atm, but I thought I'd comment.

You are very, VERY, well minded with all this, Have you had a similar encounter like this before that you knew what to do? I personally would have been screwed, uneducated in such a issue..being a starting college student, not much of a surprise. You've taken all this much better then most adults I know, and done things the correct way.

In the end, justice will prevail! I wish the best for your outcome!

Bumping this up because, today's the day! The hearing's scheduled for 9:00 this morning, so I'll be heading out to the LTB office downtown shortly. I'll post here again later to let everyone who's been following this know the outcome of it...

P.S., I'll also post a proper reply to the comment you posted last month, Kiyoshi. Thanks.

Honestly you sound like a complete whiner to me Spartan. Your fridge broke and you are turning it into some epic drama. Neither you nor your neighbor are capable of changing the light bulb on the stairway? There are millions of people in the world who do without refrigeration every day and they don't die of starvation because of it. You could easily have bought some non perishable food or a cooler and continued to live in your apartment. You should have gone over to speak with the maintenance personnel directly about your fridge if you wanted to speed things along those office drones will just smoke screen you.

Sporgo,ahem...try reading more.In tough economic times,people can't afford to buy a cooler and new food again,and the de-frostment would've stunk up the place,not to mention leak everywhere.Until you're in the same situation,don't go saying stuff like that.

1 DOWN.

Thanks for that, mjolnir. Much appreciated :cool

Just got back from the hearing, and it worked in my favour. Didn't get reimbursed for the food lost (section 16 of the lease I signed states they're not liable for any loss or damages on the premises), but I did get the rent reduction for this month. That's what I was really aiming for, anyway.

And so ends this chapter of "The Life and Times of SPARTAN II".

Kiyoshi Nobuyuki said:
Been about two days and this is all at a moot point atm, but I thought I'd comment.

You are very, VERY, well minded with all this, Have you had a similar encounter like this before that you knew what to do? I personally would have been screwed, uneducated in such a issue..being a starting college student, not much of a surprise. You've taken all this much better then most adults I know, and done things the correct way.

In the end, justice will prevail! I wish the best for your outcome!

Thanks for the compliment, dude. Nope, never been in a similar situation before. I simply made myself educated in how to handle this matter properly. And as for how I handled things, I'm just the type of person that doesn't get too easily ruffled (it takes a lot to get a rise out of me).

At the same time, I'm not one to let myself be taken advantage of either, so I'll stand up for myself when I have to.

sporgo said:
Honestly you sound like a complete whiner to me Spartan. Your fridge broke and you are turning it into some epic drama. Neither you nor your neighbor are capable of changing the light bulb on the stairway? There are millions of people in the world who do without refrigeration every day and they don't die of starvation because of it. You could easily have bought some non perishable food or a cooler and continued to live in your apartment. You should have gone over to speak with the maintenance personnel directly about your fridge if you wanted to speed things along those office drones will just smoke screen you.

shut up.... that is all.

im glad to hear you got the Rent reduction Elvis, better reimbursement than you would of got here in the states...to bad about the food, but like i said earlier in this thread "at least you got to crash at the GF's house during the whole thing, thats always good"...

Living in Florida I have been through numerous hurricanes. I know all about being without power for weeks on end and no one ever got any rebates on their mortgage for it. Spoiled kids is my assessment of this situation. You cant survive for a week without a refrigerator give me a break.

DreadMullet said:
shut up....

i hate to sound like a broken record... But honestly, there is no need for you to come in here and voice your negative opinion on the subject... and there is no reason for you to be calling him names.

look you have been through worse situations in the past, im sorry to hear that. But Elvis was pissed about the situation, and then the crappy way the building management handled the situation only maid it worse, and he wanted to rant and get it off his chest... we are a community here, and many of us are friends with one another, and friends listen to friends bitch (thats how it goes).

He felt he deserved to be reimbursed, and he has the right to be... Rules are different up there, and like i said "down here in the states, you would be lucky to get a dime"

so keep your opinion to yourself, because no one in this thread wants to here your negativity and name calling.

P.S. its not wise to dis someone that can help you.. In this case, Spartan II is a great artist and has drawn up many great weapon schematics. He takes commissions and you might find yourself in need of some blueprints one day, and maybe he remembers your rude comments and isnt willing to help you out.... on second thought how about you dont dis anyone? that sounds better.

end rant.

DreadMullet said:
i hate to sound like a broken record... But honestly, there is no need for you to come in here and voice your negative opinion on the subject... and there is no reason for you to be calling him names.

look you have been through worse situations in the past, im sorry to hear that. But Elvis was pissed about the situation, and then the crappy way the building management handled the situation only maid it worse, and he wanted to rant and get it off his chest... we are a community here, and many of us are friends with one another, and friends listen to friends bitch (thats how it goes).

He felt he deserved to be reimbursed, and he has the right to be... Rules are different up there, and like i said "down here in the states, you would be lucky to get a dime"

so keep your opinion to yourself, because no one in this thread wants to here your negativity and name calling.

P.S. its not wise to dis someone that can help you.. In this case, Spartan II is a great artist and has drawn up many great weapon schematics. He takes commissions and you might find yourself in need of some blueprints one day, and maybe he remembers your rude comments and isnt willing to help you out.... on second thought how about you dont dis anyone? that sounds better.

end rant.

A much needed rant.

DreadMullet said:

end rant.

Yeah I was going to say, he didn't start this thread to say "OMG I HAVE NO FRIDGE I WILL SURELY PERISH". What he wanted to convey was that he pays monthly for utilities and such and obviously, anything you pay for you want it to be worth every penny you earn. In this case, the fridge provided to him broke down and he expected a prompt fix, that is what he pays for isn't it?

Additionally, he did his research and went about practicing his rights. This wasn't just some random b!tch rant about how his life is so miserable and unfair, just a man that was entitled to certain services. Legally entitled, might I add.

So maybe you should take a step back before you call anyone a whiner, life's hard for everyone, just in their own way. Anyone could call you a whiner for complaining about power outages in Florida, but they don't because they realize that it was a product of circumstances outside of your control.

Also, SpartanII, congratulations on winning the case!! It's good to know that people are making good use of the laws and regulations we have.

+1 for Canadian law!

and healthcare, while we're at it :) haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back